Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Fair play to him, but they'd probably have to have the best group of young players since Hibs in the mid 2000s for that to work out. 
Our intake of a few years ago was pretty much a "golden generation" by Premiership standards and we only really got big money for Turnbull and Scott. Campbell, Hastie and Cadden (snake) left for compensation fees and a few others went down south before we'd really seen them play.
Long winded way of saying I hope United go bust.
Did United themselves not have a run of players they were able to sell for good money around the time of Armstrong, Mackay-Steven, Gauld and Robertson?

That Dundee United plan is all well and good, but it kinda hinges on the key aspect of having anyone that's good enough to be worth anything, and it seems at the moment even United fans will tell you their best players now are Charlie Mulgrew, who you aren't ever getting any money for, obviously....and Tony Watt, who they had to pay for, that you aren't going to sell on because he was as good as he'll ever get at Motherwell, and still hasn't scored yet as he's busy doing "1st season at Motherwell Tony Watt" things by dropping so deep to try and get on the ball that he's never going to score. (Apart from tonight's hat-trick obviously).

There doesn't seem to be anyone playing for, or coming through at United that has any kind of 7-figure buzz at all....let alone a couple per-year for the next 5 years.

An aside to [mention=26104]capt_oats[/mention] noting that Wee Al scored last night... Devante Cole was on the other team.
Campbell has more goals this season than Cole which is quite funny.

Cole obviously plays in a shite Barnsley team but has shown that the purple patch he had with us last season was the exception rather than the rule as far his career is concerned. Have we lost any other strikers recently who are likely to end up in a similar situation?

Oh blimey, I'm beginning to feel like a bit of a cheerleader who stepped up a bit too late to the party, but Al did the leaving-Motherwell-thing the right way, so we still all love him, yeah?   And Luton is just down the road from me... and a Luton Town match was the first I attended, so... I'll be relating any and all Wee Al-related content from down here.

This, that just showed up on my news feed, was too good to leave alone:

image.png.2c71e3d7fd44f01ffd727e27d70fbd78.png

Watt gets his inevitable goal tonight.

Didn't want to clog up the match thread but I honestly can't think of a club where former players score against them so often. My head nearly exploded when Aaron Taylor-Sinclair scored for Livi a few years ago.

It'll no do, tbh. 

Weird decisions all around, Donnelly, despite looking fucking miles aff it gets a start (the number of passes Donnelly plays without looking is wild) and Deano dropped, Tierney, a bright spot for a couple of games on the bench, playing three wingers as a front three and then being in some way surprised that we don't look faintly like scoring.

United weren't even particularly good and strolled it. Lose on Saturday and the season's done and given how we seem to have approached the cups this season, I'd assume that'll be the case.

7th game since the break and we've now scored 4 goals, 2 of which were against Morton, and aside from some long range strikes from Goss/Donnelly/KVV, we haven't looked like troubling the keeper in any of them.

ETA: Goss is not a good enough player for us to carry him. I swing back and forth on him but ATM: No.

Edited by thisGRAEME

33 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

Wherever we finish this season, no. It was a no-brainer, and very few fans thought otherwise at the time.

I hate watching Alexander's Motherwell tbh so I guess I was one of the very few fans. But I understand that it would make me look a bit of a crackpot to voice those concerns when we were sitting 4th. We're in free fall now though, so thank god we got some points on the board early. Sadly though Alexander isn't for me, absolutely chronic viewing, week in, week out.

I've got to be honest I'm a bit fucked with this. Alexander's tactics at this point are either completely stupid or to throw Bevis up front in the last 10 minutes. He's trying to be all big brain but Sunday was tactical seppuku and tonight is just stupidity. 

Tierney is the one bright spark for the last 3 games - benched. 

Cornelius looked alright in spells on Sunday - benched. 

Donnelly who had a disaster and looks miles off it - starts. 

Chuck 3 wingers up front, don't create any chances then put Mugabi up front and hope for the best appeared to be the hope tonight. 

While Murderball wasn't great to watch it was somewhere near Thunderdome in that it was brutally effective when it worked. 

We’re a fucking riot since Watt left and “Alexanderball” even before that made your eyes bleed. Now it’s not effective there is zero to get excited about and it would give you a migraine trying to understand the tactics at times, Most of his signings are garbage and we’re stuck with them on long contracts whilst his blind stubbornness with sticking with either underperforming players or mental formations is getting us nowhere. 

I’m a bawhair away from calling for his head to be honest.