Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

Furlong is is interesting, I immediately thought he was lightweight and a last left back on the shelf type signing.  But he has become effective in the role, perhaps wing back suits him better than left back.  I am not suggesting he is excellent but after a few games he is deserving of his place in the team and playing his part.

I think wing back gives him a bit more protection and support from both midfield and behind. It allows both him and Johnston to get forward more and play. It was great seeing loads of the more senior players talking to him at points and coaching him through the game.

A lot of that happening throughout the team as well, especially Butcher and Casey. Those two seem like natural leaders in there. It was great seeing them constantly talking to Kelly and Goss, organising things around them. We've missed that leadership so badly.

26 minutes ago, Desp said:

Butcher & Casey have been superb over the last week. They should ensure Ricki Lamie is nowhere near the starting XI for the foreseeable. 

Starting 11? I wouldn't let him anywhere near the fucking stadium. 

Edited by 'WellDel

Now that we have a finely tuned midfield do we need this Butcher guy stepping into it and upsetting the balance?

What was our back line at the end?  O’Donnell then Mugabi went on and Butcher came off.

Giving Danzaki some game time was a man management decision, keep him happy.

We may only see McKinstry and Crankshaw again if we are chasing the game (or KVV is suspended).

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

Now that we have a finely tuned midfield do we need this Butcher guy stepping into it and upsetting the balance?

What was our back line at the end?  O’Donnell then Mugabi went on and Butcher came off.

Giving Danzaki some game time was a man management decision, keep him happy.

We may only see McKinstry and Crankshaw again if we are chasing the game (or KVV is suspended).

Was slightly disappointed not to see Aitchison come on thought he looked lovely the other night and he could have hurt hearts back line today even for 15 minutes. Every game the boy Furlong gets better and more confident I like him.

With regards to McKinstry don’t mind not seeing him play he’s very much hit and miss and seems uninterested a lot of the time unless he has the ball but his agent is clearly trying to drum up some interest in him already with the constant press shite.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Furlong is is interesting, I immediately thought he was lightweight and a last left back on the shelf type signing.  But he has become effective in the role, perhaps wing back suits him better than left back.  I am not suggesting he is excellent but after a few games he is deserving of his place in the team and playing his part.

Think the same could have been said of Penney. He liked to attack and was pretty good at it, but defensively he wasn't very good. 

I, with many others, have been arguing for us to use a back three since the start of the season and I'm still at a bit of loss why we didn't try it sooner when it was Sol, Lamie and Penney.  Sol and Lamie didn't have football brains, weren't great on the ball and combine that with a very attacking full back who didn't like to defend? Like, of course that was a fucking shambles, yet that was our default. 

Fast forward to now, Butcher and Casey were immense today and agree that they're upgrades on Sol and Lamie. I just wonder if we could have saved ourselves some trauma by trying the back three earlier. 

On today's game, we were immense. I love that kind of Motherwell team, great commitment, not letting the opponent breathe and actually playing some decent stuff at times too. In addition to Butcher and Casey, I thought Johnston, Goss, and Obika were superb but really could go through the whole team as they all had something to offer and played their role in the victory. 

I'm sure others are the same though in that I have so much scar tissue from this season that I was still sure we were going to f**k it up despite Hearts being murder and barely creating anything of note. I'm glad that didn't happen.

All of a sudden things feel good again.

Unbelievable how quickly Kettlewell has turned things around.

Feels risky to upset this momentum with 2 such huge games coming up next.

Either leave Kettlewell in charge for the next 2 games or just give him it until the end of the season and be done with it.

Neither McCann or Holloway have any experience of the Scottish game and you wouldnt imagine much knowledge of our squad (or our opponents). Neither appointment would be risk free.

Should be a healthy travelling support for Rugby Park next week. Lets keep things going........

I don't really watch English football so aside from his Blackpool team I don't really know much about Holloway. Purely on a stats level though, is his record even that good? Basically strikes me as an average Championship manager whose methods have got gradually less effective over the years.ih.png.9176247ef53fb0f21dbf8580ff1aa026.png

Surely to f**k they can't appoint him over our beautiful Ketts?

It's got to be Kettlewell until the end of the season.

Apart from arguably Butcher, who'd probably rather be in midfield, there are no square pegs in round holes and I think that's big. The wing backs are being maximised where they are. McGinn probably is more of a right of a back three type player than a proper full back. The midfield seems balanced and we're seeing the best out of KVV when he's not the lone striker or the guy we're launching the ball up to.

I do feel a bit for McKinstry as he was one of very few with their heads above water under Hammell, but what can we do if we've found a system that can't accommodate him.

Goss and Spittal have both been so good under Kettlewell, you can't help but wonder what was going on with them before. Particularly Goss, any time he's had any praise in the past, it's been for making passes, this version Kettlewell seems to have unearthed runs and tackles too...

As much as I agree with our defence looking better without Lamie, I reckon he could come in to this current system and do a job, now that there's more leadership around. 

Kettlewell seems full of energy and enthusiasm and as much I will always love Hammell and I've no doubt he wanted nothing more than to succeed, you could say the opposite of him - in the last few weeks, the job seemed to weigh really heavy on him. He seemed drained of everything, in particular, his presser before the Raith game, he looked awful. Maybe this experience might have been him finding out that being a manager wasn't quite for him. Good luck to him in whatever happens next for him.