Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I can't remember which team (maybe St. Johnstone)it was but there was a game towards the end of Hammell's reign where the opposing team was time wasting something rotten. Taking ages over everything, players going down injured, you know, the sort of stuff it sounds like we were doing yesterday. It is really frustrating but pretty much every team does it including Celtic - you just don't see it that much from them as they don't need to do it very often. 

8 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

My wife had family up from England this weekend who went to the game yesterday and we're taking about how buzzing they were to be sitting in with the "Green Brigade". 

Caught up with them last night and took great delight in hearing about how their experience was ruined by Motherwell and their time wasting. I made no apologies for revelling in the fact they had a shite day. 

Did they have the wee matching jackets etc especially for the occasion?

We have the Bois and all the other teams have their equivalent groups, all bedecked in their Stone Island and the likes but not identical. The Green Brigade and Union Bears are like a horde of clones. Truly strange wee cults. (I do mean cults, although other similarly spelt words may also apply).

14 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

My wife had family up from England this weekend who went to the game yesterday and we're taking about how buzzing they were to be sitting in with the "Green Brigade". 

Caught up with them last night and took great delight in hearing about how their experience was ruined by Motherwell and their time wasting. I made no apologies for revelling in the fact they had a shite day. 

Clearly a nice family to be "buzzing" to be sitting in beside that terrorist loving scum. Hope we didn't spoil their IRAoke day too much.

37 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

This is my favourite post from all the match thread and here. Tremendous.

Rumour been floating about for a few month now that you've signed Paul McMullan on a PCA. His form has fell off a cliff since January which lends credence to the idea. On his day, he's an absolutely unplayable but very inconsistent. Despite us getting relegated last season, he had more assists than pretty much any non-OF player.

Due to his recent form, many Dundee fans will say he won't be missed, but he's a player that truly gets you off your seat only to sit down again in disappointment. Just don't ask him to shoot.

But aye, it'd be a blow for us.

42 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Rumour been floating about for a few month now that you've signed Paul McMullan on a PCA. His form has fell off a cliff since January which lends credence to the idea. On his day, he's an absolutely unplayable but very inconsistent. Despite us getting relegated last season, he had more assists than pretty much any non-OF player.

Due to his recent form, many Dundee fans will say he won't be missed, but he's a player that truly gets you off your seat only to sit down again in disappointment. Just don't ask him to shoot.

But aye, it'd be a blow for us.

Mentioned this before and @YassinMoutaouakil's put it in a nutshell above but I'm generally sceptical of links about Dundee players having signed PCAs with us given we'd apparently signed Danny Mullen and Jordan McGhee from you guys which seemed to come from the same sort of rumours.

There's so much of it makes zero sense given we're already well stocked for attacking midfielders (Spittal, Tierney, Danzaki and Lennon Miller the next Academy player coming through). We don't play with wingers (at the moment) to the point that we were supposedly lining up making Stuart McKinstry's loan permanent (according to the Hammell at the AGM) but now he can't even get off the bench and Oli Crankshaw's away back to Stockport as he's not going to get a game.

The only way it adds up is if we'd been letting Hammell sort out PCAs before he was binned as he fucking loved a winger given he spent his limited time trying to inflict a 4231 on us. Even then, if you look at the state we were in when you first mentioned the rumour (on our way to relegation) it'd have been nuts if we'd been letting Hammell sign folk up tbh.

Given the number of our current starting XI who are out of contract in the summer Ketts may have something different planned but as it stands, with the way we're set up, you genuinely can't see where McMullen would fit.

Edited by capt_oats

47 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Mentioned this before and @YassinMoutaouakil's put it in a nutshell above but I'm generally sceptical of links about Dundee players having signed PCAs with us given we'd apparently signed Danny Mullen and Jordan McGhee from you guys which seemed to come from the same sort of rumours.

There's so much of it makes zero sense given we're already well stocked for attacking midfielders (Spittal, Tierney, Danzaki and Lennon Miller the next Academy player coming through). We don't play with wingers (at the moment) to the point that we were supposedly lining up making Stuart McKinstry's loan permanent (according to the Hammell at the AGM) but now he can't even get off the bench and Oli Crankshaw's away back to Stockport as he's not going to get a game.

The only way it adds up is if we'd been letting Hammell sort out PCAs before he was binned as he fucking loved a winger given he spent his limited time trying to inflict a 4231 on us. Even then, if you look at the state we were in when you first mentioned the rumour (on our way to relegation) it'd have been nuts if we'd been letting Hammell sign folk up tbh.

Given the number of our current starting XI who are out of contract in the summer Ketts may have something different planned but as it stands, with the way we're set up, you genuinely can't see where McMullen would fit.

Fair enough - just passing on the rumour. Personally, I think he's considerably better than the players that you've mentioned (that I know) so for obvious reasons, I hope it's not true and that you're correct.

35 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Fair enough - just passing on the rumour. Personally, I think he's considerably better than the players that you've mentioned (that I know) so for obvious reasons, I hope it's not true and that you're correct.

Aye.

I mean, I've no strong opinion on McMullen either way. It just feels just be a really weird deal for us now given it's not like we're playing the wingers we actually have in the building just now.

Also, as far as the timeline goes - you tagged me in a post mentioning the rumour on 1st of March so at that point Kettlewell had only been in the door a couple of weeks and clearly immediately prior to that we'd been in the middle of Hammell's Death Spiral.

It seems an odd point for us to be confirming anything.

What wouldn't surprise me would be if Hammell had been in dialogue with him about a possible PCA which is where the rumour could have come from.

As I say, Hammell's default shape was 4231 so in that respect it would be easy to see where McMullen would fit there.

Edited by capt_oats

In the old days, this would be headlined "Van Veen issues come and get me plea".

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-hero-kevin-van-veen-29789434

Motherwell hero Kevin van Veen says the club is 'home'... but could still leave. The Dutch striker says at his age he might only have one big move left in him, but it has to be the right one for him and the club

But the Dutch striker says it would have to be an "amazing" one, and won't just jump at any move; it has to be right for him and the club.

But at 31, he might only have one last big move left in his career, and may feel he needs to take it.

Van Veen says he loves every aspect of life at the Fir Park club at the moment and is in the form of his career, netting 24 goals this season, including an equaliser to earn a draw at Celtic Park on Saturday... and knows that’s likely to attract interest. But he says he’s not angling for a move out of the Lanarkshire club, and any offers would have to be pretty big to tempt him.

Van Veen says he wants to do what's best for himself and the club
He said: “Being honest, I love this club, from cleaner to chef to fans, I love everybody. It feels like home to me.

“It’s very important to me, but on the other hand, because I’m 31, and I feel like I’m in my prime, I’m feeling very good, it doesn’t hurt me to say if there is somebody coming in, and it’s the right step – because it could basically be my last move – then I will talk to the owners and the gaffer, and have a conversation.

“That might be my last chance, and maybe we can all have a green light and everybody’s happy. “If they do get a certain money for me then I’m helping the club, too. Van Veen took his season's tally to 24 with an equaliser against Celtic that earned Motherwell an unlikely point

“I’m 31, maybe they get younger people in who make the change, and make my own step as well, because I think that’s important. “But I would never just force my way out, because I’m very happy here and I am getting older.

“If there is an amazing step for me I would be willing to take, it has to be all positive and on a good note from everybody’s side. “Otherwise I won’t press anything through, because that’s my respect towards this club as well – they gave me the chance to perform at this level."