Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

29 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Thats’s us playing St Mirren 2 weeks in a row now. 

Hate it when that happens. 

No it’s not St Mirren play Dundee then the cup tie then Aberdeen all at home then Livingston away Motherwelll St Mirren is the next week after that 

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

Peter Hartley that night was quite something. Thought he might retire at half time. 

I text my pal on the walk up to the stadium saying the Hartley/Mugabi partnership was giving me the absolute fear and I'd probably say I've never been more correct about anything in my life.

20 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I still have nightmares about Paul Kinnaird actually scoring a goal about 30 years ago.

We got mugged with a Steve Kirk equaliser wrongly disallowed too.

Typical Motherwell mind, five games against a side which will finish below us that season and the only one we lost was in the cup.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Inevitable with a 12-team top flight, a country prone to shit weather and therefore postponements and a big drop-off in quality as you go down the leagues. I agree it's crap though. Was that 4-4 cup game at your place not part a double header? I may have misremembered that.

Edit: Actually, we played three times in four games:

Screenshot_20230730-173857.png

We had a triple header against Celtic a few years ago that pretty much destroyed us for months.

We had a 50/50 chance of getting a Premiership team so it's not a great surprise. My wife would have preferred Livi for the shopping though. 

Quite annoying that East Fife can put out a very good highlights package and we continuously get served up weird camera angled pish that in no way reflects how a game has gone for those who couldn’t make it. 

I enjoyed the commentator calling Slattery a dead eyed dick at the free kick after the red card. 

26 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Quite annoying that East Fife can put out a very good highlights package and we continuously get served up weird camera angled pish that in no way reflects how a game has gone for those who couldn’t make it. 

I enjoyed the commentator calling Slattery a dead eyed dick at the free kick after the red card. 

Aye - for the League Cup when there is no tv cameras, there should be a "yer da" option that shows a meat and potatoes highlights package with commentary in a strong Lanarkshire accent instead of the fancy edit.

4 hours ago, Swello said:

That was the worst of the lot.....

It also feels like being seeded has never done us many favours (other than avoiding the OF obviously) - the best example being when we romped the group in 2019, got Hearts in the next round and were duly papped. Need to remember this when we're stressing about it next year...

image.png.5fcb58b7e13d26b33baf00485d63a063.png

That group feels like it could literally be every year since the group stages returned! 

16 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Peter Hartley that night was quite something. Thought he might retire at half time. 

Him and Mugabi were a car crash that night. Second half was some laugh....O'Hara single handedly changed the game when he came on.

13 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Red card looks extremely harsh from that angle 

I didn’t see any specific violent act, certainly a tangle of legs, Clancy was half turned away and probably guessed.

I'd mentioned a bit further back but from my view in the main stand I thought it was a possible red straight away. Highlights don't change that for me personally.  It's the right leg coming down on Spittal's head clocking him that he got it for and the lino gave it on the day from what I could make out. Certainly some chat happened between him and the ref.

For me, Page definitely meant it rather than just momentum doing that as he's falling. But I can see the argument being made that it wasn't meant. 

It's a funny one as slowed down it looks not as bad and it's usually the opposite way around.

On a separate note, Big Wilko's goal is a smashing effort. Right in the corner. 

Edited by eliphas

Really hard to say from that footage whether the red card is deserved or not. Doesnt seem a lot in it, but you cant really see what has happened very well.

In Johnny Pages defence, he was never that sort of player in his time with us, so I would be surprised if he has deliberately stamped or booted an opponent. Although thats not to say he still didnt endanger him.

Thought all the goals were pretty decent. I know some are saying the Millers was a "sclaff" but it clips the heel of the East Fife player on the way passed, so whilst the deflection may have assisted the goal, I dont think he mishit it. Pleased for Wilkinson. Good to get the monkey off gis back early doors. Hopefully he will take confidence from it and can kick on a bit. We need to see a bit more from him.