Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Hopefully Max signs on for another few years but with the money available down south I’d imagine he’s more likely to leave unfortunately.

Hammell was very confident he'd stay but that was partly based on his relationship to him...things may have changed there too.

My choice would be McCann. I think Ian Holloway would be Box office but I get the suspicion that would go south quite quickly for both parties.

Jack Ross would be second choice but I get the impression he is a wee bit big time Charlie and smug to boot. Maybe unfair and he has experience of the championship which may come in handy !

I thought they may go for short term solution till the summer. Clearly not according to updates. 

Clearly they are hoping rightly that any new Manager would keep us in the top flight. But what if they don’t ? Would the Board agree that the new Manager would get a chance in the championship. Would the fans accept that especially if we don’t make  a good fight of it and go on another extended run of losses. 

Holloway's been out of the game a couple of years, I doubt he has any knowledge of the Scottish game whatsoever, and his last stint at Grimsby was hardly a success. Granted there was stuff going on in the background there, but he left them near the bottom of the table with a bloated but very average squad (that part sounds vaguely familiar dinnit?), and they went down in the end.

I imagine he'd also be at the very limit of what we could afford, so although the press would get their soundbites and the suits in hospitality regaled with funny stories in the Centenary Suite after matches, there's a high chance he'd be a very expensive mistake, and off at the end of the season if we went down, leaving us at square one yet again. 

Hoping his names just been put out there to show that the job has some level of appeal to someone who has had a bit of success in the game at a decent level, no matter that that success was several years past now.

Very long winded way of saying, it's a 'No' from me!!.

39 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

re: Kettlewell, I'm not sure he's been in the door long enough for the board to feel obligated to interview him in the same way they did with someone like Lasley, Hammell or Robinson to an extent.

It kind of feels like it'd be a case of them being happy enough he got the win last night but not wanting to further disrupt the Academy structure. I mean, we're still advertising for Clarkson's replacement (deadline is tomorrow if anyone's interested) without having to do the same for Kettlewell who only arrived in October.

Given what's happened with Hammell it'd feel really messy to add to the disruption.

On the point about United players almost immediately undermining Ross, what sort of relationship does he have with Paul McGinn? He was at Hibs with him right and had his brother at St Mirren?

I see Grant McCann had our very own Shane Blaney on the books at Donny.

Flao said they looked strategically at what made the Craigan cup final team work and why they’ve not really had the same success in terms of numbers since per age group. They determined it was consistency in the back room side of things that allowed us to keep and nurture the talent which they identified and wanted to recreate. Which makes sense when that team made us what? North of £6m.

Kettlewell may be very much part of that plan and a youth team coach can pretty much be untouched in their gig because it doesn’t carry the same scrutiny as a first team gaffer. The failure rate of promising kids is also hard to quantify. Get a wage, pay the mortgage, have some stability.

His presser the other day definitely conveyed he does feel he has something to offer in front line management and with an objective eye safe that his record and the perception of his record are far apart for many people.

Has it been disrespectful he’s not been shortlisted? Will a place be added on Sunday evening?

55 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

re: Kettlewell, I'm not sure he's been in the door long enough for the board to feel obligated to interview him in the same way they did with someone like Lasley, Hammell or Robinson to an extent.

It kind of feels like it'd be a case of them being happy enough he got the win last night but not wanting to further disrupt the Academy structure. I mean, we're still advertising for Clarkson's replacement (deadline is tomorrow if anyone's interested) without having to do the same for Kettlewell who only arrived in October.

Given what's happened with Hammell it'd feel really messy to add to the disruption.

If you are Kettlewell would you even want to take the risk at a club he has inside knowledge of ie it’s in state of internal flux. Could burn potentially his last chance of a gig like that. Better to stay in post and be the obvious candidate next time round once the post Flao landscape is clearer? 

18 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

He will Doidge and Drey Wright in the summer. 

He'd better fucking not. Drey Wright's our top scorer and one of our best players this season, now that the Hibs disease that seems to inflict former Saints has been coached out of him! 😆

Edited by Nelly78

Holloway is a no from me.

I don't even think he's that funny either. I don't get it. If it was a "been around the block" usual Scottish manager talking like that he'd be telt for the dinosaur that he is.

2 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Hopefully Max signs on for another few years but with the money available down south I’d imagine he’s more likely to leave unfortunately.

To be honest I'd think it's more so we might get relegated that will be his decision maker. Unfortunate situation.  The club should have had him signed up before now.  Another knock on fro. Alexander having little to no interest in the Academy and Development side of things. 

11 minutes ago, eliphas said:

To be honest I'd think it's more so we might get relegated that will be his decision maker. Unfortunate situation.  The club should have had him signed up before now.  Another knock on fro. Alexander having little to no interest in the Academy and Development side of things. 

I’d say that’s more on the CEO than a transient manager.

14 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Ross out the running apparently 

Holloway, McCann or The Kettle 

Not an inside scoop - from The Sun.

Not unhappy with that, and of the 3 allegedly remaining I'd let Kettlewell run with it for a couple of weeks with a view of giving it to him til the end of the season if the effort and commitment levels remain the same.

Kettlewell took a team without a plan and without it for months and gave it one. Got a tune out of players not performing for weeks.

While we weren’t outstanding and the Buddies were worse than they’ve been maybe keeping it simple is the order of the day.

If I was on the board I’d maybe consider a “second” interview stage even if it was invented to see what Kettlewell can do with 3 games.

Edited by Kapowzer