Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

9 minutes ago, sjc said:

Joshua would be better looking to emulate Larry Holmes or George Foreman's jab imo.

Thought Lewis might be acheivable. If AJ could have Holmes jab he would need to be fight number 1 and 2 contenders in the same night in this division to make it worth watching. 

24 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Who does everyone fancy tomorrow night?   Groves or Smith?   

Groves stoppage is reckon, if his shoulder holds up. The worst possible outcome is Groves shoulder goes and Joe Gallagher is jumping out the ring celebrating like Smith has iced an ATG.

Who does everyone fancy tomorrow night?   Groves or Smith?   

Leaning towards Groves on points, but there’re two key unknowns I think: Smith’s actual level and whether Groves is fully recovered.

Smith hasn’t been in with anyone I’d consider world class, and certainly no one as good as Groves. Seem to remember him struggling a bit to get inside Skoglund’s jab, and Groves jab is considerably better (one of the best in the world), whilst also having genuine power with his straight right. Smith obviously has a bit of power too though and there’re always questions about Groves fragility, although personally think these are generally unwarranted.

Big factor is Whether Groves shoulder has fully recovered from his surgery, IMO.

10 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Hopkins would say that, he lost his first fight!

Who would've beaten Mayweather at a given point in time?

Castillo was utterly robbed in the first fight. I think Mayweather is incredible, but there is some point in what Bairnardo is saying. 

Smith is one of my favourite fighters. Not really sure where my affinity towards him comes from but I really like him. That said, a fully fit Groves is a slicker, better boxer with enough power to trouble him and a terrific jab. I hope Mundo gets the win but all being fair I reckon Groves wins on points pretty comfy.
Just hope the big man can sit Groves down with some of his body shots, but as said above Groves will probably be heavy enough come fight night to take them

I'm thinking Groves by a few on points. 

Shoulder is a big question mark. If it's not totally healed then he could be in for a long night but I fancy Groves' supreme jab to get him through any tricky rounds and keep the taller man at bay. 

Castillo was utterly robbed in the first fight. I think Mayweather is incredible, but there is some point in what Bairnardo is saying. 
You will never hear me say a bad word against Floyd Mayweather in the ring. Incredible is the right word. A talent for the ages.

Outside the ring though, I dont have many good words for him.