Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Draw for the super lightweight Super Series is on Friday. Anyone any idea of the timeline for this? I can only assume that if the quarter finals are due fairly shortly that Taylor's fight with Ramirez will either need to be August or postponed until after new year?

Not really sure how it's all going to work.

Usyk v Gassiev in the WSS Final this weekend could well be the fight of the year. I am absolutely buzzing for it. Think Usyk will just about come out on top, but it could go any way at all. Brilliant fight.

I’m at my mates wedding all day Saturday, but will be getting watched first thing Sunday hopefully without knowing the result.

2 big hard b*****ds from the east, wanting the knock the living f**k out of each other.

In reality I think it’s a 50/50 fight, although I’m hoping for a Usyk win having back him and Groves double from the start.

Terry Flanagan & Ryan Martin complete the 8 for the Super-Lightweight Super Series. Can only guess that Hooker was supposed to be in Flanagan's place but took the offer from Eddie Hearn instead. Full list is now: 

Kiryl Relikh, WBA World Super Lightweight Champion

Anthony Yigit, European Champion and IBF mandatory

Regis Prograis, Interim WBC World Champion

Ivan Baranchyk, IBF mandatory

Josh Taylor, WBC mandatory

Eduard Troyanovsky, WBA mandatory

Ryan Martin, undefeated challenger

Terry Flanagan, former world champion

Can only guess that Relikh - Troyanovsky and Yigit-Baranchyk will kick off. Already heard rumours of Taylor & Prograis being kept apart. So quite likely Taylor will be up against Martin or Flanagan in the first round, followed by the winner of the two above matches.

On 15/07/2018 at 07:48, Bairnardo said:
On 15/07/2018 at 07:47, kiddy said:
Pacquiao stops Matthysse in 7 to claim a WBA Welterweight title.
Don't know what Thurman thinks of that, being their ACTUAL champion?

Like almost everyone else, I imagine Thurman gives minimal fucks

Thurman seems more interested in smoking his bong and playing musical instruments now unfortunately. 

That 140 tournaments turned out to be pretty good, got to be realistic with these kind of things there's never enough cash to get it to work in the more glamorous divisions. Josh will be beat Prograis as well. 

WBN seem to think that the mysterious third division in the latest super series will be heavyweights. They're kind of speculating on who can be in but you can effectively rule out Wilder, Breazeale, Joshua, Povetkin, Whyte & Parker. The best you can hope for from that is to be the WBA 'regular' champion if Charr/Oquendo goes in. Doubt Fury would be interested either. 

Groves seems to be getting mighty pissed off with waiting around for the final. They made a bit of a show of it being delayed for a month due to his injury and now they don't even have a date in place. Seems to be getting overshadowed by the cruiserweight final and the announcements of the new divisions and fighters. To be fair, both currently announced set of fighters looks great. It will make a proper star of the winners.

How many buys is Usyk/Gassiev going to do in the UK? Lucky if you get 20,000 I would imagine. Absolutely fantastic fight but zero build up for it over here and only really your hardcore boxing fan will know it's on.

Surely in general the WBSS model must have haemorrhaged a cake load of money on that first series.

How many buys is Usyk/Gassiev going to do in the UK? Lucky if you get 20,000 I would imagine. Absolutely fantastic fight but zero build up for it over here and only really your hardcore boxing fan will know it's on.
Surely in general the WBSS model must have haemorrhaged a cake load of money on that first series.

Yup, really can’t see it doing well in terms of numbers in the UK - I will be sourcing a stream for it myself. Had itv done this all on terrestrial and marketed it properly they could have been on to a winner

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

I doubt it it Neilly. They'll have done their homework beforehand. Cruiser is the perfect division for something like this along with 115 because there's a lot good fighters who are willing to take each other on and are reasonably cheap. Massive f**k up not sorting the US broadcasting rights though, can't understand why that happened. 

I'm thinking Taylor might pick Flanagan in order to make sure the fight is up here or at least relatively local. Should make more money that way. 

The semis of the super-bantamweight tournament in particular are great if all the seeds make it through.