Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

I switched off as soon as Usyk finished it but hard to blame Dubois for being salty. Arguably beat Usyk fair and square with that body shot. He was completely outclassed and will unlikely ever get as close to beating someone of Usyk's calibre as he was tonight and he was done by the ref. Decent hype for an unnecessary and unwanted rematch though.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I switched off as soon as Usyk finished it but hard to blame Dubois for being salty. Arguably beat Usyk fair and square with that body shot. He was completely outclassed and will unlikely ever get as close to beating someone of Usyk's calibre as he was tonight and he was done by the ref. Decent hype for an unnecessary and unwanted rematch though.

Wouldn't say it's as clear as you say. Frampton has almost completely walked back his original call of a body shot.

25 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Wouldn't say it's as clear as you say. Frampton has almost completely walked back his original call of a body shot.

Frampton is an arsepiece.

Usyk has definitely took full advantage of the referees naivety by taking almost the entire time available to recover from a low blow, which most definitely wasn’t low. The upper most part of his shorts were sitting an inch above his belly button at the time of the punch, and the ‘belt’ area of his shorts can’t have been more than 4 inches in height from top to bottom and that’s being generous. I would give him the benefit of the doubt if I thought that Dubois’ punch had even skiffed his testicular area, as any man will be able to tell you that it’s sometimes the ones that only graze the balls that cause the most pain, but you could clearly see the glove of Dubois finding a home right into the lower belly of Usyk.

Edited by IrishBhoy

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Usyk has definitely took full advantage of the referees naivety by taking almost the entire time available to recover from a low blow, which most definitely wasn’t low. The upper most part of his shorts were sitting an inch above his belly button at the time of the punch, and the ‘belt’ area of his shorts can’t have been more than 4 inches in height from top to bottom and that’s being generous. I would give him the benefit of the doubt if I thought that Dubois’ punch had even skiffed his testicular area, as any man will be able to tell you that it’s sometimes the ones that only graze the balls that cause the most pain, but you could clearly see the glove of Dubois finding a home right into the lower belly of Usyk.

Don't know the rules clearly.  An illegal low blow is not restricted to ball shots.

Also Usyk wanted to re-start earlier but was prevented from doing so by the referee.

You literally got everything wrong here.

24 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Don't know the rules clearly.  An illegal low blow is not restricted to ball shots.

Also Usyk wanted to re-start earlier but was prevented from doing so by the referee.

You literally got everything wrong here.

I don’t know if the referee done it before this fight, but usually when the ref brings the 2 fighters together before the first bell he will say ‘no punches below this line’ and put his hand out to show where he’s going to penalise low blows. That line is not always at the top of the fighters shorts. In my opinion the punch landed cleanly on the stomach, it was thrown upward towards the belly button area and after looking at it a good few times slowed down I personally wouldn’t class it as a low blow. 
It seems to have split opinion though so maybe I could have reined in my original post a bit.

I didn’t know the referee prevented Usyk from re-starting the fight, I was watching it in a friends house and only noticed the length of time he had to recover so fair enough on that one. 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I don’t know if the referee done it before this fight, but usually when the ref brings the 2 fighters together before the first bell he will say ‘no punches below this line’ and put his hand out to show where he’s going to penalise low blows. That line is not always at the top of the fighters shorts. In my opinion the punch landed cleanly on the stomach, it was thrown upward towards the belly button area and after looking at it a good few times slowed down I personally wouldn’t class it as a low blow. 
It seems to have split opinion though so maybe I could have reined in my original post a bit.

I didn’t know the referee prevented Usyk from re-starting the fight, I was watching it in a friends house and only noticed the length of time he had to recover so fair enough on that one. 

Have to agree with you about it not being a low punch.

That all being said - once the decision went against him Dubois put up the white flag.

That's low. 

Eta also, if the ref had begun counting, there's every chance Usyk beats the count. The fact he lay there is as much a consequence of knowing the ref had ruled it low. There's no "win" there for Dubois and he knows it. 

Edited by Bairnardo

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Eta also, if the ref had begun counting, there's every chance Usyk beats the count. The fact he lay there is as much a consequence of knowing the ref had ruled it low. There's no "win" there for Dubois and he knows it. 

This. Regardless if you think it is low or not Usyk would have acted totally different if he heard a count. 

Getting pissed off with all the tears from Dubois/Warren’s team. It was a fair punch, I was cheated, Usyk’s shorts were too high, the fight result  should be overturned & declared a no contest, there should be a rematch. I was cheated. #FRO

They didn’t object to the referee in charge before the fight & the boxer was told “OBEY my commands at all times”. The referee is the sole arbiter during every round & he alone controls the fight. 

Dubois’ team based his whole fight round a shot they knew could result in a low blow. The ref ruled as such & he never threw it again/Usyk adjusted to negate it.

John Charles asked why he wasn’t deducted a point? Once is unfortunate, to do it a second time is reckless.