Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Top tier behind the goal at Easter Road now open to Saints fans, tickets available on their website.

I’m heading up there for a wee change, a great view (of the match and beyond..) and to reminisce over the last time I was up there when we pumped hearts 3-0. 

If we won at Dingwall Hibs might have to look at giving us both ends of the ground..

But most clubs main income source is matchday income, either season ticket wise or "PATG".
Unless someone ever bothers to actually prove clubs won't be cutting their income for no reason other than gaining a handful of fans then nobody is going to have any interest in it.
If someone could prove that there's a financial benefit, even long term, then you'll see clubs open up to it. 
Just now there's no reason for them to do it so they won't, and screeching about it into the night isn't solving anything.

It isn’t provable because it’s impossible to speculate how many extra fans would turn up in the short, medium and long term. Not saying it isn’t a gamble but I don’t know if it’s a particularly costly one.

E.g to do really basic maths if we get 600 PATG home fans paying £23 - to break even with £20 tickets you’d need an extra 90 fans. I don’t think that’s unrealistic when you consider similar ratios with away fans too.

Here’s another one for you:
2,000 Saints fans paying £5 = £10,000.
400 Saints fans paying £23 = £9,200

5 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

It isn’t provable because it’s impossible to speculate how many extra fans would turn up in the short, medium and long term. 

Saints have had their cheap family ticket deal on the go for a long time now, getting figures of child tickets sold before, compared to now, in terms of pure numbers and financial numbers, is where I'd start.

If you could prove an increase in fans and an increase in money, with the added bonus that these children will eventually become £20 customers, so you'd be making even more due to the scheme, then id imagine clubs would be happily to experiment with things.

My reluctance over it is that I don't believe we have 2000+ fans just sitting there waiting to come regularly because the price drops £3.

I honestly think you could leave the gates wide open on a match day and not get 5000 home fans in the ground! simply not the support around for the team.

I remember a few years back there was free tickets for the game given out if you went to the ground 2 hours I think before kick off and simply you went in and sat in the away end! you received a free pass into the game at 3.00pm. you simply had to when asked to evacuate the stadium stand up and walk out, most there were season ticket holders so that kind of backs up my theory! Free kids places have been available for 4/5 years now? don't see a massive evidence of more support building over the years with this either!    

Just bought tickets for Easter road there.
I get Janma’s argument on appeal if tickets were lower, but clubs simply need match day income.

However, I’d like to see us offer £5.00 tickets for a game next season and really go out and push it.

Saints have had their cheap family ticket deal on the go for a long time now, getting figures of child tickets sold before, compared to now, in terms of pure numbers and financial numbers, is where I'd start.
If you could prove an increase in fans and an increase in money, with the added bonus that these children will eventually become £20 customers, so you'd be making even more due to the scheme, then id imagine clubs would be happily to experiment with things.
My reluctance over it is that I don't believe we have 2000+ fans just sitting there waiting to come regularly because the price drops £3.

We don’t need there to be 2000+ fans waiting to come for it to be financially worth doing. If we shaved off £3 we’d need PATG numbers to increase by about 13%/14% to make sure we broke even. With let’s say 600 ish full price PATG home fans and maybe let’s say an average 500 away fans, between home and away we would need about an extra 150 to break even. I think a well publicised £20 max would attract more than that from away teams like Motherwell, Killie, Dundee, St Mirren who all have the potential to bring big supports to McDiarmid but generally don’t in recent times. If they brought 200 more because of the £3 shaved off the price you’ve made a profit.

The child ticket is clearly a shrewd future investment that is paying off as Perth grows with Bertha Park etc. Could probably trace some of the FCU lads origins from the child ticket offer too.

We don’t need there to be 2000+ fans waiting to come for it to be financially worth doing. If we shaved off £3 we’d need PATG numbers to increase by about 13%/14% to make sure we broke even. With let’s say 600 ish full price PATG home fans and maybe let’s say an average 500 away fans, between home and away we would need about an extra 150 to break even. I think a well publicised £20 max would attract more than that from away teams like Motherwell, Killie, Dundee, St Mirren who all have the potential to bring big supports to McDiarmid but generally don’t in recent times. If they brought 200 more because of the £3 shaved off the price you’ve made a profit.

The child ticket is clearly a shrewd future investment that is paying off as Perth grows with Bertha Park etc. Could probably trace some of the FCU lads origins from the child ticket offer too.

Exactly this. A lot of it is psychological. It’s like pubs offering pints for £3.95 a pint instead of £4. It’s a mere 5p difference but that difference changes how people think and make purchases. It’s why supermarkets price things at £4.99 instead of £5. It’s simple marketing.

I think if saints dropped the £3 quid and as you say, really pushed the “twenty’s plenty” line it would receive very good publicity amongst all football fans. That 3 quid could be made up though purchasing a programme or refreshments by either new fans or regulars who may not usually have bought these things.

Looks like the Hibs game is going to be a sell out. 20,000 fans for a game that otherwise would probably not have broken 15k. There’s going to be a brilliant atmosphere and it will look good for Scottish football. Hopefully the game can match the occasion. I’m going to Dingwall this weekend so wasn’t going to go to the Hibs game - but after this initiative I’m now making arrangements to get to this one as well.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Exactly this. A lot of it is psychological. It’s like pubs offering pints for £3.95 a pint instead of £4. It’s a mere 5p difference but that difference changes how people think and make purchases. It’s why supermarkets price things at £4.99 instead of £5. It’s simple marketing.

The £4.99 thing does seem old fashioned in a post cash world. When I see something for £9.99 I think 'that costs a tenner'.

When prices went to £21 & it was still pay at the game it seemed much more because you need to take £30 out rather the £20.

15 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

The £4.99 thing does seem old fashioned in a post cash world. When I see something for £9.99 I think 'that costs a tenner'.

When prices went to £21 & it was still pay at the game it seemed much more because you need to take £30 out rather the £20.

I always thought that the £9.99 or 3.99 or whatever was to force staff to open the till in old time shops rather than just pocket cash.

19 hours ago, mizfit said:

Just bought tickets for Easter road there.
I get Janma’s argument on appeal if tickets were lower, but clubs simply need match day income.

However, I’d like to see us offer £5.00 tickets for a game next season and really go out and push it.

There was someone elsewhere did some sums on the £5 tickets.

Not my numbers but the guy reckoned that average ticket price is around £18 and we'd normally have around 3000 people (over STs) buying tickets for a St Johnstone game - £54,000

If we sold 7000 tickets at £5 - £35,000

Thats before extra food (you fermers like pies 😉) and merchandise from all the bairns then numbers start to look better.

I suspect that Ron G is just looking at other ways to skin a cat.

Scottish football is too expensive - our Ross County tickets were £24, Celtic £35

Hibs have now made two more sections of the upper tier available to Saints fans.

We’ve sold out our allocation for the bottom tier; the two right hand sections plus about a third of the next section.  And one section upstairs is nearly sold out.

Hope there’s a big push from Saints fans to sell out our allocation, think it would be near 2000 in total which would be brilliant.

4CC150BF-05DB-4232-9248-9C3B866C30CA.thumb.jpeg.78b0392deb7b905291dfa83f4eddaeb0.jpeg

29 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Hibs have now made two more sections of the upper tier available to Saints fans.

We’ve sold out our allocation for the bottom tier; the two right hand sections plus about a third of the next section.  And one section upstairs is nearly sold out.

Hope there’s a big push from Saints fans to sell out our allocation, think it would be near 2000 in total which would be brilliant.

4CC150BF-05DB-4232-9248-9C3B866C30CA.thumb.jpeg.78b0392deb7b905291dfa83f4eddaeb0.jpeg

I'm hoping we only sell a handful more, then I can keep all you no righters at least 10 seats away.

I’m reckon as word spreads of the large away support more and more Saints fans will decide to go. Still over a week to get tickets. Would like to see the club put a message out on social media saying how many we’ve sold and urge fans to get theirs before they’re gone. Get the excitement building.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

I'm hoping we only sell a handful more, then I can keep all you no righters at least 10 seats away.

😘

To be fair bigger supports always bring out the no righters in our support. Semi finals have been a good example of this over the years.

If we sold out, when was the last league game we took 2000 to, anyone?

There was a festive/ new year match at Dens where we scudded them 2-0 with Kennedy running riot about 3-4 years ago, think the Saints support was given as 1800.  

Can’t think of one before that; maybe a championship promotion battle?  There was the blue & white away day at East End Park, then going further back the second last game of the season battling with killie for third place in the late 90’s I’m sure we took 2500 to Rugby Park.  

The best I ever experienced was 4500 Saints fans on the old terracing at Tannadice in our first season back in the premier in 1990 when we were on that great run of beating hearts and Aberdeen and drawing with both halves of the OF.  

21 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

There was a festive/ new year match at Dens where we scudded them 2-0 with Kennedy running riot about 3-4 years ago, think the Saints support was given as 1800.  

A fine day out!

86E10B61-A073-4052-B199-35AD016299C4.jpeg

5481A234-9921-420D-A635-D968F6F2B21C.jpeg

Edited by PSJ.84