Gordon Strachan

Elixir

22 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Were there not question marks about Hansen's commitment? I seem to remember Alex Ferguson saying something about this.

Ferguson said that during the 1986 campaign, Hansen pulled up in training and said he was injured and had to head back down to Liverpool.  Stein was less than convinced and said that if they got to the World Cup, Hansen wouldn't be going.  

Ferguson remembered it and honoured the idea after Stein died.  At least, that's the story according to Ferguson.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ferguson said that during the 1986 campaign, Hansen pulled up in training and said he was injured and had to head back down to Liverpool.  Stein was less than convinced and said that if they got to the World Cup, Hansen wouldn't be going.  

Ferguson remembered it and honoured the idea after Stein died.  At least, that's the story according to Ferguson.

Cheers, that's the one. Ferguson can be amazingly spiteful for such a successful man.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Cheers, that's the one. Ferguson can be amazingly spiteful for such a successful man.

One could say honorable as well ........He had a knack of seeing through people as did Jock .  Hansen , for being a good player proved to be quite obnoxious

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

One could say honorable as well ........He had a knack of seeing through people as did Jock .  Hansen , for being a good player proved to be quite obnoxious

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Hansen is nowhere near as obnoxious a man as Ferguson.

Fair enough don't pick him, but to lay all that on Hansen for worrying about a knock is a bit much.

Pat Nevin was on OTB today, with what was essentially an elongated defence of his auld pal, backed to the hilt by Stuart and Tam. Played well against England, he needs time, we don't have the players, the eight changes were all enforced, etcetera. Minter.

I disagreed with Pat Nevin generally, I think Strachan and the media talk the team down, the players we have should be getting better results and there seems to be an ex player and  'Strachan friendly 'pundit concensus that Scotland have only crap to pick and we can't expect better, I think that's nonsense and a well organised Scotland team could do much better than they are just now, Northern Ireland are proof of that. Stuart Cosgrove, who I generally agree with particularly on how Strachan holds the power in his relationship with the SFA , whichh is wrong ,was deliberately misrepresenting what Nevin was saying and getting a bit shouty and lost coherence and the argument. I thought that Gemma Faye talked the most sense

5 hours ago, mizfit said:

I'd say it's the younger generation getting restless.

Rightly so. I've never seen us at a major tournament, which is ridiculous when you see some of the nations who have in recent memory. I'm not going to go through my life watching failed qualification after failed qualification, being told by a bunch of negative, back-patting ex-pros and media buddies that this is the best we can hope for.

3 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Rightly so. I've never seen us at a major tournament, which is ridiculous when you see some of the nations who have in recent memory. I'm not going to go through my life watching failed qualification after failed qualification, being told by a bunch of negative, back-patting ex-pros and media buddies that this is the best we can hope for.

The only difference when they go to a major tournament is that the pain is magnified.

9 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Rightly so. I've never seen us at a major tournament, which is ridiculous when you see some of the nations who have in recent memory.

Of the European nations who've ever qualified for a major tournament, no-one has waited longer than ourselves to return. Think the next is Norway who reached Euro 2000.

I've not bothered to look at the whole world but might do so this afternoon. Could be frightening.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Of the European nations who've ever qualified for a major tournament, no-one has waited longer than ourselves to return. Think the next is Norway who reached Euro 2000.

I've not bothered to look at the whole world but might do so this afternoon. Could be frightening.

I'd be interested to know the answer to that, although it might send me over for edge.

Answer is:

Scotland last qualified for a major finals tournament - World Cup or continental championship - in 1998.

Since then, across the whole world, only Mauritius (African Nations Cup 1974); Sierra Leone (ANC 1996); Tanzania (ANC 1980); Bangladesh (Asian Cup 1980); Cambodia (AC 1972); Taiwan or Chinese Taipei (AC 1968); Hong Kong (AC 1968); Burma or Myanmar (AC 1968); Singapore (AC 1964); and St Vincent & the Grenadines (Gold Cup 1996); have waited longer to return to a major finals.

Israel last qualified for the World Cup, in 1970 - however this was before they moved to UEFA, so if you don't include that then Scotland have waited the longest of any UEFA member.

Several countries surpassed us very recently - Hungary and Northern Ireland at the Euros in the summer; Uganda at the forthcoming ACN - but it's not a record to be envied I'd think.

Ooft. I remember us all discussing Scotland's long wait with regard to other countries in Europe, but that worldwide comparison is absolutely brutal. You can't see it changing any time soon either, considering some of the "solutions" that the people in positions of power within our game come out with.

Archived