Heads Gone (The 8MileBU Awards)

On 06/09/2020 at 22:00, David W said:

That happened, however whilst it was a Clyde fan (or fans) posting about it (and threatened), it involved a current Premier league striker who was on loan at Clyde at the time. No idea if it was actually true.

Ringing bells now, pretty sure said striker had a couple of seasons at Stirling Albion if I'm thinking of the correct one.

19 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Just had a look on the Clyde thread, and this is an absolute belting post, like someone doing a parody. 

If only we had the belt these days and the new generations grew up like their forefathers did to be notoriously tolerant gammons and boomers 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 

Sensational Gunther my man. 

Incredible that 3 Clyde fans thought that was a good post from Gunther.

Good to see the lads piling in to give it a rating more concomitant with its actual value to modern society.

Screenshot_20200908-232006_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0610e303aeaf6601bd220df910b5a217.jpg

Ice Hockey Reaction GIF by NHL

1 hour ago, Shandön Par said:

I wonder if there's any correlation between getting the belt at school and growing up to be intolerant arseholes? 

I was belted frequently at school and it never did me any harm.

If you disregard a permanent twitch, emotional scarring and deep seated contempt for authority 🤯

7 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

I was belted frequently at school and it never did me any harm.

If you disregard a permanent twitch, emotional scarring and deep seated contempt for authority 🤯

Sounds no different than supporting Accies then.

My parents were both belted at school, everyone of their generation was. My dad in particular received regular hellacious beatings from his parents, including his father belting him with a leather strap used to sharpen razors on one occasion. This was pretty normal at the time and they laugh about it now. However they never hit me or my brothers so they obviously knew it was wrong.

The speed that corporeal punishment of children has become socially unacceptable and now, in Scotland, illegal, is pretty astonishing. While I wasn’t hit, some of my classmates were and it was relatively normal then. I remember being at the birthday party of a classmate in primary school (would’ve been about 1990) and he got taken into another room and smacked while we all listened. He ended up doing time for possession of drugs with intent to supply so didn’t work for him! When I was a little kid I read the Beano and the punchline for a lot of the strips was Dennis’ dad battering his arse with a slipper -that’s a children’s comic!

Just missed out on the belt. At primary I had older pals who went to high school and they had all taken beatings from teachers. My headmistress used to take her belt out and say “if this had been a few years ago you’d have been getting hit with it”. Had a thing for feisty women ever since tbh. 

I do like that it was removing the ability to batter weans that doomed everyone to delinquency and not Thatcher just ripping the guts out of the thousands of communities across the country that relied on one industry or other

We had a thread on this a few years back when Tom McB, the walloper, stated that in his teaching days, those who didn't use physical punishment were ineffective because they couldn't control their classes. He then tied himself in knots by denying that he ever hit children.

I wonder if there's any correlation between getting the belt at school and growing up to be intolerant arseholes? 
I think there is.

I remember a letter some woman had written to the local paper a couple of years ago.

There she was insisting that the belt would he good for kids in today's schools as it never did her any harm, despite her admission that she received the belt on an almost weekly basis. Surely, hen, the belt wasn't working for you if you kept on getting it.

4 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I think there is.

I remember a letter some woman had written to the local paper a couple of years ago.

There she was insisting that the belt would he good for kids in today's schools as it never did her any harm, despite her admission that she received the belt on an almost weekly basis. Surely, hen, the belt wasn't working for you if you kept on getting it.

The whole “never did me any harm” line is preposterous. How would they possibly know that?

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

The whole “never did me any harm” line is preposterous. How would they possibly know that?

I would posit that the fact they've grown up to be adults who relish the idea of children being beaten, shows that it certainly did do them harm.

8 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I think there is.

For the youngsters, it wasn't just any belt. It was the (Loch)gelly tawse. Specially crafted in darkest Fife (who'd have guessed?) for the sole purpose of battering children. 

Y2mnaL8BvZ8_lkkdEVhoxFESOX7aVOPFsjvlRLP8

JTbiFinAflmeYPV39zUjzTfefLR882fGQf47NIgH

For the youngsters, it wasn't just any belt. It was the (Loch)gelly tawse. Specially crafted in darkest Fife (who'd have guessed?) for the sole purpose of battering children. 

Y2mnaL8BvZ8_lkkdEVhoxFESOX7aVOPFsjvlRLP8TVvoDP_UQg2UM20crfq5JSqli6u0bJFPXtzgq6ad8Hz9zGs5UzxjBmNfWbBTSZKDO1GeZ9vP2el7tYJ3jg&key=a531ee1a0f46ae8b410b9c71e90925410683bf7290ab55f106b8b95d08712fa9
JTbiFinAflmeYPV39zUjzTfefLR882fGQf47NIgHNeSwyrkBSjnXBzpsBX3uehQrpYgFbO8u6W5IhkJn-g6r-zzc9zZmJjIz4Mou6ISSiUZ54C39W3KzJ-fNsKMgzlY&key=29a85012ebd92fe4cce1c181b1b72b54b2cde531a3e375a287ffceb0a6327b53
I remember watching something on the telly fairly recently and the Lochgelly Tawse was a feature.....the wifey was a relative of folk who'd manufactured them (or something along those lines). She was awfully proud of her connection to it anyway.