Heads Gone (The 8MileBU Awards)

More than likely folk who think coropral will put the bairns on the path to be a good & proper member of society like kids used to be also think bringing back national service will do the same.
I know. I mean it must have been great living in pre-1980's Scotland without all the muggings, rape, murder and generally cheeky b*****dness.

I was smacked as a child. I don't have any resentment towards my parents but I certainly don't advocate it today. I have two daughters, I wouldn't hit any female so why would it be acceptable to hit my own girls?

My sister in laws smack their kids* and any time it was in my presence I felt extremely uncomfortable. It's not discipline, it's lazy parenting. You can better results actually speaking to children.

* I don't know if they do it now that it's illegal but it really wouldn't surprise me sadly.

11 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Apparently the done thing back in Victorian times was to batter the weans on a daily basis. The theory, presumably postulated originally by the Marquis de Sade, was that children learned better when teaching was followed by a damn good thrashing. So you'd ace your Latin vocab for the day, then take an absolute pounding regardless, just to make sure it sank in. Our grandparents/great-grandparents generations must have been considered absolute pussies for only kicking the shit out of the kids as punishment.

Unrelated, but supposedly average IQ levels have risen so rapidly over the past hundred years that the Victorians would be considered mentally retarded by modern standards. Fancy.

"Spare the rod, spoil the child"

13 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

You can just imagine the state that the Full Time Mummies advocating the return of the belt would get into the first time their beloved Logan or Jaxon happened to be the one on the receiving end of the belting.

Yes!

Like if a football club's fans demanding punishment for other people's offensive singing. And not realising it would also apply the them.

Cue hilarity as UEFA fines rack up. In a purely hypothetical scenario, obviously.

1 hour ago, Slenderman said:

That's a perfectly cromulent sentence.

24 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Your compliment has embiggened my ego

Will a time ever arrive where lobbing cromulent/embiggen into a conversation isn't funny?

Well there's no telling how shite the Simpsons is going to become.... But I doubt it.