Fix rooms

ICTChris

Proposals for legalised 'shooting galleries' for injecting drug users in Glasgow look set to be given the go-ahead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-37817622

I think this is a positive thing.  Many of the drug users who are given methadone in pharmacies still abuse other drugs and providing this service should hopefully allow drug addicts to limit their consumption to these places and thus get better access to help.  Also, when you see the issues with contaminated heroin and anthrax in the drugs takedn on the streets, it surely makes sense to provide sterile equipment, sterile premises and medical grade drugs to drug users.  You'd hope that this would reduce the number of needles on the street and hopefully allow some people with chaotic lifestyles to reach stability and make improvements.

Downside is that people might not fancy living near to a shooting gallery.  I can understand that but if you live near a pharmacy or medical centre than you are already effectively close to places where drug users are provided with their fix.  I used to live just off Easter Road and you'd often get drug users congregating around the pharmacy on the corner of Rossie Place - not very pleasant for people who lived there but it shows that this issue is happening without fix rooms.  

What do P&Bers think?

It's pragmatic common sense, but you can hear the outcry before it has even opened. The whole methadone shot down the local chemists was the stupidest idea ever, bolstering reactionary attitudes back in the pre-free NHS prescription days before the SNP took charge. Something has to change.

45 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

The BBC have put together a map to show where the most used needles have been found in the street. 

http://marcellison.com/bbc/needles/

Glasgow really is setting the trend for the rest of Scotland.

That map proves that junkies from Dundee are the best at hiding syringes.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/216921/shock-used-syringe-found-oor-wullie-bucket-trail-statue/

41 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

The BBC have put together a map to show where the most used needles have been found in the street. 

Newton Mearns having more than the whole of East Kilbride is a particular highlight.  That and...

Fife.JPG

7 hours ago, WaffenThinMint said:

It's pragmatic common sense, but you can hear the outcry before it has even opened. The whole methadone shot down the local chemists was the stupidest idea ever, bolstering reactionary attitudes back in the pre-free NHS prescription days before the SNP took charge. Something has to change.

It will also get rid of the rage felt by the rest of the queue of people in for their prescriptions while a shellsuit wearing skeleton saunters straight up and takes one of the till assistants away from serving duties so he can get his fix and go straight back to robbing grannys.

Makes sense but will undoubtedly be delayed or put off by NIMBYism.

I used to live in Holland Street in Glasgow City Centre. There was a shelter next door that seem to cater entirely for folk with drugs problems. They tended to congregate at our close because the taxi rank and pub meant there were always a lot of folk right outside their door. It could be pretty intimidating at times but generally the police were good at keeping an eye on them and shifting them on. It would definitely take a lot of policing to keep anyone living in the locale of a shooting gallery happy.

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Thought this was going to be a thread about decorating. Maybe kill two birds with one stone and get them to give the place a lick of paint when getting their fix? Legalise it. 

Aye came on expecting to find Romeo doing his Laurence Llewelyn Bowen thing.

There's more than enough evidence out there to show that this will do more good in the long run with saving lives, the drugs are bad mmmkay crowd will of course ignore this but they ignore any evidence which supports legalisation, or anything which promotes safe use.

On 31/10/2016 at 18:16, Louis Litt said:

There's more than enough evidence out there to show that this will do more good in the long run with saving lives, the drugs are bad mmmkay crowd will of course ignore this but they ignore any evidence which supports legalisation, or anything which promotes safe use.

I'm part of the 'drugs are bad' crowd but I think we need innovative solutions to the problem.  Hopefully this is one of them.

Disappointingly low amount of needles found near me, gentrification really is in full for force round here.

It's a good idea, even if just for the fact that it's showing a progressive attitude towards drug use in the UK.  Nobody who's in favour of it would want it anywhere near their home or kids school of course but I'd imagine these centres will be set up in areas where there's a already a large amount of junkys hanging around and getting them off the streets will be likely to be seen more favourably.

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 14:20, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Two on my street. Can anyone beat that? (Not counting what looks like about three dozen within a five minute walk of where I live)

Archived