The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Worth a watch.  It is really unraveling.

I'm not a massive follower of American politics, but why do they keep putting her on the telly? It's rabbit in the headlights stuff, she's an absolute disaster! 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38974085

It's now being claimed that Trump has known about the key issues relating to this for a while.

According to other reports it appears that the biggest concern for some Republicans is not the interchange between Flynn and the Russians but rather the fact that this sort of information is getting leaked from the White House.

Putting both these things together suggests that Trump was hoping no one would find out about this and, if that had happened, Flynn would still be in a job.

The term "What did the President know and when did he know it?" has apparently been used by a reporter.  This was the phrase used when questioning Nixon's involvement in Watergate.

If Trump goes then Pence is in.
That is no improvement

Maybe wishful thinking but I don't think Pence would compromise national security or let true white nationalists like Bannon dictate policy in the way currently perceived. He is an adult at least.

8 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Disappointing lack of "-gate" suffixes being used to describe this. Surely Russia-gate or Flynn-gate should be trending.

They're waiting for the big one.  America is totally fuckedgate.

New York Times and CNN are running with a story that cites intelligence sources as claiming that multiple people close to Trump (on his campaign or otherwise) were in consistent dialogue with Russia and it was briefed to Obama and Trump (as President-elect). Only Manafort and Flynn are named but they claim it goes beyond them.

If this leads to Rosneft (Russian state oil company) and the 19.5% that has went to a mystery buyer (which was alleged to be the offer that Trump recieved in the dossier) then this is going to be 10x bigger than Watergate and the "-gate" suffix is redundant.

58 minutes ago, harry94 said:

If this leads to Rosneft (Russian state oil company) and the 19.5% that has went to a mystery buyer (which was alleged to be the offer that Trump recieved in the dossier) then this is going to be 10x bigger than Watergate and the "-gate" suffix is redundant.

Would maybe explain the CEO of Exxon with no Government experience being placed as Secretary of State.

Scary stuff that Democrat operatives within the intelligence agencies are illegally leaking information to bring down their political opponents. Hopefully people end up in jail for this.

It's odd that getting cozy with Russia is considered traitorous. Since Trump won election promising close ties with Russia, isn't it traitorous to stand in the way of close ties?

Mexican politicians are in the US meeting with illegal aliens to convince them to try and clog up the court system and endure detention rather than deportation. The Mexican government has allocated $50 million to aid in this effort. Mexico's true colors as our national enemy are showing. Can you imagine if 10-20 million Americans were living illegally in Country X, our government did everything we could to stop a candidate who wanted to remove them, and then came up with a scheme of widespread disobedience towards local authorities to interfere with the legal process in that country? The world would be melting down, but I'm sure most countries will be cheering on Mexico.

Is contact with Russians during the transition automatically bad? Not a defence, a genuine query. I'm not upto speed on the ins and outs of how a transition should be handled. 

I am pretty sure I remember the Japanese PM showing up at Trump Tower though, where I'm sure they would've discussed future policy. Just curious if there is a legal difference or Russia = bad. Contact during the campaign may too be a bit odd but then Trump went to Mexico, both candidates met the Israeli PM, etc. 

Doesn't look good for poor Donald though. Obviously if there's underhand dealings these deserve to be investigated, just trying to establish if proven contact is automatically bad and what it means. Media smell impeachment, clearly. Shame. 

3 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Discussions about lifting sanctions before the election and then lying about it is pretty bad, yes.

Well, yes. Hence Flynn is gone, and I don't think even the man himself has any arguments about it.

Really just trying to ascertain the likelihood of Trump getting done with this, I guess.

1 minute ago, Paco said:

Well, yes. Hence Flynn is gone, and I don't think even the man himself has any arguments about it.

Really just trying to ascertain the likelihood of Trump getting done with this, I guess.

Depends what he knew and when he knew it and whether he instigated it.

Flynn is saying he did nothing wrong. Reports are that the transcripts of the phone call are pretty ambiguous and can be read multiple ways. Wikileaks is saying that Obama loyalists leaked the call to protect the Iran deal. The mainstream media is spinning it that career intelligence agents are so scared about the Trump team's approach to national security that they are being forced to extraordinary lengths. Flynn made a lot of enemies in the intelligence services under the Obama administration and the talk was that he was planning a huge house cleaning. It's hard to say what's what.

And no, there's nothing wrong with a transition team talking to foreign governments and getting their ducks in a row about what's going to happen once the new guys take over. I suppose the question is whether Flynn was talking about stuff he was supposed to leave alone. I certainly don't have a problem with people in the administration pushing for better ties with Russia. We just ran a campaign where Russia featured prominently and the candidate couldn't have presented more opposite views. The pro-Russia candidate won.