The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

One in four people would be happy to consume raw fish from a gas station.

The human race, ladies and gentlemen.

Edit: unless the idea is that dodgy raw sushi would make a marginally better president, which is a call that would partially restore my faith in humanity.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

3 minutes ago, Monday 13th July said:

It's called a petrol station.    

#unleadedtillidie  

The head of state's called a monarch here, but that's different over there too, for some reason.

13 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Yup. But he can hardly go around attacking the legacy of folk heroes.  Small but substantial criticisms of Trump is more than enough, because Trump’s ability to insult even his own supporters will inevitably pop up again in about 20 minutes. 

While there's nothing to be gained for Biden from getting into a conversation about the likes of Washington and Jefferson's history with race as it would only invite criticisms of being unpatriotic, hating our founding fathers etc etc, there also nothing to be gained by glossing over the records of Nixon, Reagan and Bush x2 on race. Criticising them would not bring the same response and would be an entirely worthwhile and relevant point to raise in any discussion on enduring institutional racism - although I suppose that's dodgy ground for Biden considering his own legislative record.

59 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

While there's nothing to be gained for Biden from getting into a conversation about the likes of Washington and Jefferson's history with race as it would only invite criticisms of being unpatriotic, hating our founding fathers etc etc, there also nothing to be gained by glossing over the records of Nixon, Reagan and Bush x2 on race. Criticising them would not bring the same response and would be an entirely worthwhile and relevant point to raise in any discussion on enduring institutional racism - although I suppose that's dodgy ground for Biden considering his own legislative record.

Biden doesn't want to alienate independent and Republican voters in the past who just want a "normal" President again after a total fruit loop. Keeping his head down, saying as little as possible, and letting Trump destroy himself is the best policy. Otherwise they might discover he's not the full shilling either, I'm hoping for a strong Vice pick.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Biden doesn't want to alienate independent and Republican voters in the past who just want a "normal" President again after a total fruit loop. Keeping his head down, saying as little as possible, and letting Trump destroy himself is the best policy. Otherwise they might discover he's not the full shilling either, I'm hoping for a strong Vice pick.

With the people being invited into Biden's orbit I wouldn't be surprised if he makes Arizona Senator John McCain his VP pick

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Do you think something like Ruby Ridge would happen now?

That's mental, just looked at the wiki page having not heard of it before. Confirms my theory of quite a lot of Americans spending their lives impersonating Hollywood characters so there's nobody left to see what's actually going on, and a minor local difficulty that would end up with an ASBO over here ends up with a full blown shootout with helicopters and dead dogs. Going to give this podcast a go.

https://slate.com/slate-presents-standoff.html

10 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I’m not sure I agree with that.  Never Trumpers and repentant Trumpers will swing this election, unfortunately.  Those folk adore Reagan particularly.  Frankly, and this speaks for Biden and the Democrats, this is basically going to be a referendum on Trump and the extent to which Biden can appeal to buyer’s remorse.  Safe, uncontroversial policies, and safe, professionally competent speeches is basically all he needs to win.  To that end, as you say, avoiding any dodgy ground is the order of the day.    35% of the electorate will vote Democratic whatever the case.  35% will vote for Trump even if he taxes every one of them a thousand dollars apiece and sends every first born to slave ships (I would not rule either of those out).  So there’s a 10-15% group that’s all in play.  The further to the left Biden leans, the more he risks losing these folk.  Forget the debates, people  judge those well in advance.  It’s all about the swing vote in the next couple of months.  Give Trump enough rope, and job’s a good ‘un.

It’s not what any of us pinko libs here would like, but that’s where we are.  

23 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’m not sure I agree with that.  Never Trumpers and repentant Trumpers will swing this election, unfortunately.  Those folk adore Reagan particularly.  Frankly, and this speaks for Biden and the Democrats, this is basically going to be a referendum on Trump and the extent to which Biden can appeal to buyer’s remorse.  Safe, uncontroversial policies, and safe, professionally competent speeches is basically all he needs to win.  To that end, as you say, avoiding any dodgy ground is the order of the day.    35% of the electorate will vote Democratic whatever the case.  35% will vote for Trump even if he taxes every one of them a thousand dollars apiece and sends every first born to slave ships (I would not rule either of those out).  So there’s a 10-15% group that’s all in play.  The further to the left Biden leans, the more he risks losing these folk.  Forget the debates, people  judge those well in advance.  It’s all about the swing vote in the next couple of months.  Give Trump enough rope, and job’s a good ‘un.

This is pretty much spot on. It pains me to say this, but it's why the Democrats couldn't go with a woman or POC. They need to get as many votes from Trump Regreters as possible and you need an old, white man to get those votes.

The Democrats just need to step back and let Trump's mouth do Biden's campaigning for him.

On 24/07/2020 at 10:22, Gaz said:

This is pretty much spot on. It pains me to say this, but it's why the Democrats couldn't go with a woman or POC. They need to get as many votes from Trump Regreters as possible and you need an old, white man to get those votes.

On that note, the Reagan Foundation is a bawhair away from endorsing Biden.  They’ve refused Trump permission to use his image in his campaign.

https://twitter.com/DavidPriess/status/1287135983864078336?s=20