Blast From The Past!

Just the first 17 seconds.
Someone else will know better which station but this used to be on the radio on Saturday before the the football.
Was it radio Clyde? It brings back memories of Firhill and Broomfield. I remember my dad fuming at the radio because they wouldn't tell us whether the match was postponed instead they would waffle on for half an hour about rangers and celtic. Then at five minutes to three "oh by the way the Falkirk game is off"

On Monday, March 06, 2017 at 15:34, Dee Man said:

Newsflashes were always exciting as you knew it was obviously going to be important stuff if they were interrupting a TV show for it, but ultimately it ended up in anti-climax as it was never a visit from aliens but usually a tragedy of some sort. One of the Space Shuttles blowing up springs to mind.

I remember watching the Bradford fire rapidly taking hold live on TV as well. Grim.

That one wasn't him.

On 3/7/2017 at 09:18, WILLIEA said:

This is what you want

peat8.jpg

There has to be at least one P&Ber who still has a peat fire/range, Shirley?  My auld man was from Sutherland and we'd always help to 'stack the peat' when we visited his brother and maw each summer.

280bf8452677e61beab122425ce3707b.jpg

You might still be able to get this, but I haven't seen it for years. You could feel.it stripping the enamel from your teeth while you were drinking it.

Did they not do coloured cola in bottles?

16 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

There has to be at least one P&Ber who still has a peat fire/range, Shirley?  My auld man was from Sutherland and we'd always help to 'stack the peat' when we visited his brother and maw each summer.

I've been at the cutting of the peats on the hills above Moffat when a wean.

Briefly had a peat fire in cottage near Dumfries that I had for a couple of years a long time ago.

Must admit. I prefer central heating.

Newsflashes were always exciting as you knew it was obviously going to be important stuff.

You'd get news flashes in Jersey when someone's pet cat or dog was missing, accompanied by a photo, usually during Corrie or emerdale farm.

My dad used to make paper bricks. He would soak old newspapers in an old bath and then transfer the mulch into a contraption that, whilst squeezing out the water, would mould the paper bricks. He then left them to dry on the garage roof.

Love to say he was doing his bit for the environment by not using peat, think he was doing his bit to save money.

Two things missing from this thread:
1. Yer maw's divvy number...to be quoted any time you were sent to the co-op for messages.
2. 'Chiclets'.  A raging debate on the Quiz thread.  Wee rectangles of sugar-coated chewing gum, eg PK:
pk.JPG.4d9b2511739808d503df4e25a484fb90.JPG

Fuckin hell. I had erased them from my memory . Vile things. My grandad called them chiklets.

On 3/7/2017 at 00:04, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Going back a bit further, this website has a ridiculous number of photos of Glasgow "back in the day". 

http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/Past_amp_Present_Pictures_Vol_1_about28.html

Would be great if it was a bit more searchable by area / year, but there is a lack of beggar / chooser synergy. 

On 3/7/2017 at 09:12, KnightswoodBear said:

I absolutely love shit like that.  That's my day fucked now.

Between Urbanglasgow, hiddenglasgow and SSC there are tons of great old photos up and free, the virtual Mitchell library is great for this too.