The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

16 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Olusanya is the man. Jamieson is a better bet than Mandron and Grieve

Is there any chance that Olusanya could somehow do a turn for us? 

I'm not talking about starting every week, I'm more meaning throw him on with 10 minutes to go to cause some chaos if we are chasing a game? 

Seen more from him than Grieve this pre season, which pains me to say. Both probably not good enough at the moment though. 

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

🤣

It's not like you lost to a Premier League team.

Could have been worse, could have been a West of Scotland League team, live on television in front of the whole nation, in a straight knock out cup competition.

A bit on Nachmani...

On loan from Maccabi Haifa who are the Israeli champions the past 3 seasons. Ryan Strain was there briefly and made 9 appearances for them.

A very, very decent outfit: knocked out Olympiacos and Red Star Belgrade to get to the Champions League group stage last season. Lost 5 of their 6 group games but did beat Juventus 2-0. Nachmani (now 21) made a handful appearances for them as a teenager but has been loaned out 3 times since.

Last season, he played for 2 teams in the lower half of the Israeli top league. 22 appearances and 2 goals but was a sub more often than not. One of his 2 goals is in the video below (no.29 for the red team). It's against Maccabi Haifa which is why he doesn't celebrate. The goal is about 4 minutes in and he's involved in setting up a couple of chances before that.

32 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

A bit on Nachmani...

On loan from Maccabi Haifa who are the Israeli champions the past 3 seasons. Ryan Strain was there briefly and made 9 appearances for them.

A very, very decent outfit: knocked out Olympiacos and Red Star Belgrade to get to the Champions League group stage last season. Lost 5 of their 6 group games but did beat Juventus 2-0. Nachmani (now 21) made a handful appearances for them as a teenager but has been loaned out 3 times since.

Last season, he played for 2 teams in the lower half of the Israeli top league. 22 appearances and 2 goals but was a sub more often than not. One of his 2 goals is in the video below (no.29 for the red team). It's against Maccabi Haifa which is why he doesn't celebrate. The goal is about 4 minutes in and he's involved in setting up a couple of chances before that.

To be fair, it's a take and a half for his goal. He tried squaring it 5 seconds before and second time around just gave it the berries.

I’m certainly not blaming the format for the defeat, because everyone in the group stages is in the same boat. I just hate the format - the reason being, and this is where it does get St Mirren-specific for me, is because we are certainly a club who could actually go on to win it. As could St Johnstone, Killie, a few others. With all due respect to our group opponents, they aren’t winning it. A club like Morton is certainly not winning it (or fcuking anything). With the title sewn up forever by the same two clubs, and those two clubs probably trying harder in the Scottish Cup than League Cup, then the League Cup is within reach, given a fair wind. 

The format is not the reason, the sole reason for us being pish poor in the group stages, but it doesn’t help. If it gives the diddier of diddy sides a better shot at knocking off a top flight club, then I fully understand why they would disagree with a view like mine. However, when push comes to shove, I don’t really care about the diddier diddies, I only care about the diddies playing out of the SMiSA. Having said that, again, we should be able to avoid defeat against the likes of Montrose, in a major cup competition that should matter very much to those sent out to represent St Mirren.

Edited by pozbaird