The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

57 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

Guy called Ali Adams playing for Arbroath today certainly looked like a real striker.

Wonder if Saints would have any interest in him 🤪

Much like Ayunga when I watched our game today.

However, we already have a superb 'keeper.

Edited by FTOF

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Much like Ayunga when I watched our game today.

However, we already have a superb 'keeper.

Ayunga is the only striker we have that I think is good enough for this league. 

No arguement from me about our keeper and hope we can keep him for an other season. 

With Baccus away on international duty and MoH potentially injured might we see Fraser Taylor back in a St Mirren shirt on Tuesday night?

CBM will replace Baccus but if Mark is out then...... Ryan Flynn? Gogic is also a possibility if the manager is prepared to rejig the defence. Options in the middle of the park are a wee bit limited.

8 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

With Baccus away on international duty and MoH potentially injured might we see Fraser Taylor back in a St Mirren shirt on Tuesday night?

CBM will replace Baccus but if Mark is out then...... Ryan Flynn? Gogic is also a possibility if the manager is prepared to rejig the defence. Options in the middle of the park are a wee bit limited.

Elvis B will be available.

"He's a right-sided wing-back, that can play left-side and in the middle of the park. He’s a brilliant athlete, strengthens the squad and gives us another option with Ryan Strain out. It was a position we were looking to strengthen and Ryan's injury sped it up.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Will Baccus be away before Tuesday?

Was talking to a Celtic fan today and he didn’t expect their Asian players to be away before Tuesday. 

7 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Will Baccus be away before Tuesday?

Was talking to a Celtic fan today and he didn’t expect their Asian players to be away before Tuesday. 

Robinson mentioned that they'd be meeting up early to prepare for their cup games and that Baccus would miss the green bigot game.

11 hours ago, tam the bud said:

Ayunga is the only striker we have that I think is good enough for this league. 

I think if anything showed from yesterday it’s that Mandron is our best option upfront. He’s a clever player, lacks a bit of a pace but he’s the one who can play with his back to goal and hold the ball up. Similar to what Main did for us last season. Especially if playing the 3-4-3 as we have done this season. It was also evident against Killie in midweek.

Our other options are less convincing. Grieve has too much of a tendency to go down with little success in winning fouls. Ayunga, while a good option as he can take the ball for a run, is more likely to lose the ball with a heavy touch or take a shot from a wild angle. Olusanya is a mixture of Grieve and Ayunga. Nahmani looks a good option but also looks like he needs to play in a 2 up front. Jamieson looks a handy player but maybe a bit more like McMenamin with better end product and suited more to a wider role.

It was pretty telling that when asked, prior to the Killie game on the radio, if money was readily available to strengthen the squad on January 1st what would Robinson prioritise as a signing he said striker. Despite having loads of options already. I think the 3-4-3 gets more out of Kiltie and he is more important player than the various striker options we have.

23 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

I think if anything showed from yesterday it’s that Mandron is our best option upfront. He’s a clever player, lacks a bit of a pace but he’s the one who can play with his back to goal and hold the ball up. Similar to what Main did for us last season. Especially if playing the 3-4-3 as we have done this season. It was also evident against Killie in midweek.

Our other options are less convincing. Grieve has too much of a tendency to go down with little success in winning fouls. Ayunga, while a good option as he can take the ball for a run, is more likely to lose the ball with a heavy touch or take a shot from a wild angle. Olusanya is a mixture of Grieve and Ayunga. Nahmani looks a good option but also looks like he needs to play in a 2 up front. Jamieson looks a handy player but maybe a bit more like McMenamin with better end product and suited more to a wider role.

It was pretty telling that when asked, prior to the Killie game on the radio, if money was readily available to strengthen the squad on January 1st what would Robinson prioritise as a signing he said striker. Despite having loads of options already. I think the 3-4-3 gets more out of Kiltie and he is more important player than the various striker options we have.

I'd be very surprised and a bit disappointed if we were not looking to add a Central midfield option. If another striker is coming in we need to offload a couple currently at the club.

12 hours ago, FTOF said:

Elvis B will be available.

"He's a right-sided wing-back, that can play left-side and in the middle of the park. He’s a brilliant athlete, strengthens the squad and gives us another option with Ryan Strain out. It was a position we were looking to strengthen and Ryan's injury sped it up.

Didn't realise he could play in the middle of the park. After that clean sheet yesterday Robinson might not be keen to reshuffle the defensive 5. I think Fraser might continue at RWB against Celtic.

8 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Didn't realise he could play in the middle of the park. After that clean sheet yesterday Robinson might not be keen to reshuffle the defensive 5. I think Fraser might continue at RWB against Celtic.

Robbo seems to say this about every player that comes in , they can play anywhere, left, right, mid, forward and back

On 29/12/2023 at 17:18, tam the bud said:

I just wish we had 1 striker that was half decent at heading the ball in the penalty area. 

Wonder how Fletcher doing at Wrexham  🤔

On 29/12/2023 at 18:37, codfish said:

Two goals in twelve appearances, missed nine games before returning last Saturday.

Bullet dodged.

Scored a hat trick today .