The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

No player is bigger than the club. The reputation is crucial to us and the community element. 

The charges or charge must be pretty serious so well done the board on giving him the boot. 

He showed elements of being a liability on the pitch and could have caused points going forward. 

Time to move on. Elvis, Brown, McMenamin and Fraser can all play RWB

Its not all doom and gloom. I am more concerned with losing Taylor and Iacovitti at CB. 

Hopefully we can grab 3 points on Saturday to lift the mood

24 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The manager seems keen on 4-3-3 from here on in so Marcus at right back with Elvis as back-up? 

Hope not. I'd switch back to the 343/352 as soon as we have enough players back available for it. 

43 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

No messing about then. You wonder if Paul McGowan would have remained a St Mirren player if he'd been playing under the current regime.

The manager seems keen on 4-3-3 from here on in so Marcus at right back with Elvis as back-up? 

Would be surprised if we wenrt 433 until McMenamin and Kiltie are back fully, we have no wingers otherwise. Think the game vs UTD he had no options but to go 433 with brown, tanser and iacovitti being out

9 minutes ago, Calum1877 said:

Would be surprised if we wenrt 433 until McMenamin and Kiltie are back fully, we have no wingers otherwise. Think the game vs UTD he had no options but to go 433 with brown, tanser and iacovitti being out

Yeah, what he said after that game was he switched to 4-3-3 weeks earlier than he would have liked because of those injuries. I think Kiltie will start tomorrow and it would be great to get McMenamin back on the bench.

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Yeah, what he said after that game was he switched to 4-3-3 weeks earlier than he would have liked because of those injuries. I think Kiltie will start tomorrow and it would be great to get McMenamin back on the bench.

Oh aye so he did, missed McMenamin big time imo - one of the few guys who seem to be able to actually beat a man

Football at all levels can be a bit of a moral vacuum where if a player is seen as important enough, clubs will completely contort themselves just to keep them in place, so it’s great to see a club actually live up to the Family Club stuff even where it clearly weakens them on the pitch. Lasley & co have shown how you can come out of a shite situation on the high ground. 

I’m assuming that this one is also so clear cut that innocent until proven guilty isn’t a factor at this point…

Without knowing the full details it's hard to give an opinion that is anything but surface deep, but my first impression is that we need to stick to our principles. The BoD and the management team will know and you have to trust their decision.

It's annoying for all sorts of reasons, especially if he rocks up at one of our competitors, but you don't want to be in a Goodwillie situation (I am not comparing the two crimes, more highlighting the difficulty of claiming you are a community club and are all for "family values" while retaining a player based on financial reasons, not ethical ones).

I guess the "mutual consent" is him jumping before he is pushed, as you would expect a criminal charge to be enough for 'gross misconduct', I just hope any payment from us to finalise his contract ending has some level of gardening leave included in it. Don't want to be paying him money while he trains/plays for another team.

All in all, you have to say the club, whether they are right or wrong on the matter, have acted in the manner they should. They release a statement, then kept silent and dealt with the issue in house. If this was an OF player, it would have been all over the front and back pages of the local rags.