The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

My two-year-old lad is a better liar than Stubbsy :lol:

"I haven't spoken to him... but I do know he's got one or two things to tie up at Livi. Because I read that in the papers."

:lol:

He's smirking all the way through it. Such a pish liar. :lol:

a candidate that was unsuccessful in his application for job has been contacted since Stubbs appointment by the club
Wish we had this level of #ITK among the Fallirk fans on here. I mean, some punctuation wouldnt go amiss but what a scoop.

On 20/08/2018 at 20:01, djchapsticks said:

I don't give a f**k if two more loan signings come in between now and the end of the window.

Let's see how many folk moan if it's the likes of Mikey Johnston and Greg Stewart coming in on loan.

Greg Stewart has apparently rejected you for Kilmarnock. 

Celtic are keeping Johnston around due to worries about squad depth, yet St Mirren are turning down other players under the belief he'll be joining any day. 

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Greg Stewart has apparently rejected you for Kilmarnock. 

Celtic are keeping Johnston around due to worries about squad depth, yet St Mirren are turning down other players under the belief he'll be joining any day. 

You just making stuff up, aye?

Just now, Demented Zebra said:

What's our problem budget ?  Stewart v Miller who would you rather have ? 

Stubbs v Clarke, its not a hard decision. 

2 minutes ago, McG said:

Greg Stewart is a non starter, he is heading to another Scottish club.

Aye, I seen that this morning. Very disappointing, to be honest.

My point was more aimed at the suggestion that we are knocking back other options. Quite how he would know this is anyone's guess.

Stewart would have been nice, but I always thought his wages would be a little too rich for us. He's getting paid (a Scottish) fortune at B'ham and only Aberdeen were able to cover them on loan before. Killie with their sugar daddy will be able to cover those. Good signing for them too, and I understand why he's chosen Killie.

So far we have 3 strikers; Mullen, Brock-Madsen and Cooke. I think we all agree Cooke may come good but he's not quite ready for first team just yet. How good Brock-Madsen will be, I honestly can't say. You couldn't tell in the Rangers game and the Aberdeen game was a write off.

There is obviously the option for Miller, and I have to say I expect others to come into that. If a club like Hibs for example (not that I think they would, after all they have Kamberi/Maclaren who look very good) came in, and even if it was just a year's contract I reckon he'd take it. This is just conjecture but I feel if Stubbs wants to ensure he gets Miller he'll have to offer some involvement in the coaching. I'm not really too sure what I think about that. On the pitch Miller still has something to give, not as good as his previous years, but he'll score goals if he keeps fit. As for his personality? After listening to some of the stuff he's said, and how he's said it, on things like Sportsound doesn't really fill me with confidence he will be a calming influence - and falling out with his last two clubs so badly he's been huckled out of them.

Personally I'd be looking to bring in players (or change formation) that stops us losing goals, once we get that sorted out we can get all worked up about who is up front.

Edited by Buddist Monk

4 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Personally I'd be looking to bring in players (or change formation) that stops us losing goals, once we get that sorted out we can get all worked up about who is up front.

Yeah, this season really has to be about just getting over the line, and tightening up at the back should be the first stop. 

That means staying up this year and using the proceeds to build a better squad next year, and so on. It's what we did the last time we were up - Gus certainly knew it. The progress might have been too slow for some, but we are a bottom half club. That's the reality of it. I don't care if we finish 10th on goal difference ahead of 11th and 12th. I don't care if we win the playoff final on penalties (or away goals :P ). Even with the McGinn money, we need to spend sustainably.

We had the core of a very good team the last time we went down (McLean, McGinn and Mallan in the same line-up), we just fucked it by handing the reins to Tommy Craig. It shows we can get to where we want to be eventually, but there are no shortcuts that also involve spending within our means.

1 hour ago, Drooper said:

Aye, I seen that this morning. Very disappointing, to be honest.

My point was more aimed at the suggestion that we are knocking back other options. Quite how he would know this is anyone's guess.

I would say it's our budget rather than knocking back anyone. We will have the second lowest budget after Hamilton I would imagine . Maybe not even Hamilton got a lot more money than we did last season . We need to survive this season to grow.