"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

6 minutes ago, Lanky Highlander said:

I see an extended stint in L1 hasn’t humbled or un-bellended many of the Falkirk support. Sigh. 

I hereby nominate 'un-bellended' to be Word of the year, and proposed to the good people at the Oxford dictionary.

Fantastic stuff.

• Replies 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• PB1994

47 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

You’re there now which we can’t relate to. How does it feel? 

Now you're being silly. Your club spent years in League 1 and became a joke within your footballing area.

So  fess up how was League 1 for you?

56 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Now you're being silly. Your club spent years in League 1 and became a joke within your footballing area.

We’re championship so can’t relate. How does it feel to have us a division above you? 

7 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

We’re championship so can’t relate. How does it feel to have us a division above you? 

I’d imagine it feels a lot better than having to live with losing a Scottish Cup Final against 10 men for the rest of your life.

4 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm not sure what identity that builds other than their identity as a League 1 club with a dwindling fan base. I don't believe for a second that the majority of fans would turn up every week watching a mid-table League 1 side for 3 years just because they had a few local boys playing (who'd be away after 6 months if they were any good anyway). There's also no reason to suggest that after 2-3 years they'd be in a better position to get promoted again, and could easily be down there for longer.

The Inverness sides that came up through the leagues had an identity. There seemed to be a good number of local guys and were a horrible team to play against. 

Your last point is spot on, but that could easily happen anyway.

2 hours ago, Lanky Highlander said:

I see an extended stint in L1 hasn’t humbled or un-bellended many of the Falkirk support. Sigh. 

I didn't start posting until after Falkirk entered their banter years, have we dodged a bullet by going down as they are coming up?

1 hour ago, Balde Bairn said:

We're going to have some fun with you next season..... low bearing fruit.

You’ll get sympathy from this Falkirk fan certainly. Wasn’t too long ago the people in charge of our club had it run horrifically and you felt a sense of hopelessness.

Depending on your squad you should be fine in League One. We were neck and neck with Raith during our first season down (a team which ended up finishing third in the Championship the following season) and we didn’t have playoffs. No guarantees of course but could have seen us do something similar to Hamilton this season.

The following season we were top for the early part of the season, and if you look back at our thread at that time, everyone was talking about ‘yeah we might go up but we will need to replace Miller and McCracken’, due to the lack of style/tactics. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that when Gary Holt was appointed DoF half way through a season, things unraveled. And hadn’t recovered until he left. Our Scot Gardiner if you will!

Whats worked for us this year is complete unity from board, management,  fans and players. You might be able to do what Hamilton did (strong dislike for the manager but still achieve promotion) but when you’ve had a season like Caley have had, it makes it trickier.

I’d say you have one season to make it out or that’s when the proper decline sets in. Dunfermline, Partick Thistle, even Hamilton managed it all in recent times. 

I’ve no idea if moving to Kelty will help or hinder that, time will tell.

8 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

I’ll give you an honest answer, it was rank rotten. Apart from when the Pars were down, 5 years of looking at a handful of fans in the away stand is soul destroying. 

Our fanbase has on the whole stuck by the club and thankfully our boardroom issues are behind us. As I said in an earlier post this move to Kelty is mental and from an outsider looking in I think you are going to have to force change before things improve and it may take you as long as it took us.

The mistake we made for 4 years was thinking we were Billy Big Baws and having a large squad of full time players we mistakenly thought would be better than the part time players we were facing weekly, there are some cracking PT players in the league and they should not be underestimated.

Good luck in getting up, trust me it won’t be easy.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Gardiner must be the most despised man in Scottish Football.

I think that's up for debate.

Gary Holt Was In The Falkirk Football Club Facebook, 47% OFF

Neil Doncaster - Asian Institute of Technology

Malky Mackay could never say never to taking permanent Scotland job –  talkSPORT | talkSPORT

Douglas Ross in triple jobbing row after taking up football refereeing  again - Daily Record

Edited by Bairn in Exile

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whit? 😵‍💫

You realise we started doing this in 2007 and not 2022 right? Since when we've appeared in the Scottish Cup Final, played in the UEFA Cup, won Division 2 and Challenge Cup double, twice played in the Premiership playoffs, and played 14 of the last 17 seasons in the Championship. 

That we've had two dreadful seasons back to back (3 if you count the relegation one I suppose) doesnt mean our training base is the reason. We've had far more success because of it.

While I totally agree Skyline, you must admit even by Gardiner standards this really is a humdinger the local seething is going to ruin the club, Christ even the sponsors are talking about withdrawing support. Never mind the actual fans who will not now renew season tickets 

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I wonder what this week will bring. Dreading the ‘Club News’ graphic popping up.

The club is delighted to confirm that Duncan Ferguson has extended his stay at the Max's 2 Stadium. Duncan put on a tactical masterclass in the away leg of our Championship Playoff Semi Final defeat to Hamilton Accies and we're delighted he'll get to further showcase his managerial abilities in League One next season. Please buy a season ticket, pretty please. 

As others have said this is a bizarre move. For part time teams like Stranraer/Arbroath etc using a main city based makes sense. 

Caley have historically failed to engage the city and nurture the next generation of fans. There are a fair number of buses that head for both the cheeks.

However there is still a significant population. Training elsewhere then adds to the community disconnect. Kids aren't going see a player in Tesco and get a random selfie. The remoteness of the team to fans is only going to become even worse.

I feel for folk who stuck through the merger and helped to create a team that could compete in senior football. Having clubs on the north is important for the communities. 

I fear that without a mayor coup to get rid board and gardener, Caley are on life support.

38 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I wonder what this week will bring. Dreading the ‘Club News’ graphic popping up.

Club to be delighted to announce a Bronze statue of Scot Gardiner outside the main stand. 

Apparently the board were taken by the idea after Scot saw what his beloved Rangers did for Walter Smith. 

When are you fans going to start making a noise about this? The protests will start with not buying the season tickets, but getting out on the street and making noise so that newspapers and television stations start publicising your plight and displeasure with the board is surely the next step?