"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

53 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Last season Dodds was saved by a strong finish to the season and Shane Sutherland playing like a man possessed. We started off ridiculously good winning something like 6 out of 7 games to start the season. Then the period of 13 games without a win (imo any other team would’ve punted him at this point). 

This seasons just been dross, two pumpings from Partick, a doing from Morton on the tv and the QP game in November where it was 2-1 going on 6-1 where we had 18 (eighteen) percent possession. 

The only possible way I see him staying is if he gets promotion somehow, if he’s offered another deal without that then it shows how out of touch the board are with the fans. 

Feeling very “meh” towards the club as a whole right now. If we get a doing from Livi then I can’t see myself going to many games the rest of the season.

We've got, what, between 1400 and 1600 ST holders? The board know fine well this will drop next season if Dodds stays. They've already tried to cover up the drop in attendances by including them in the crowd figures, which had the Morton fans creaming themselves this week. They can only get away with this for so long. 
For highlights of the season I can only remember winning at Dundee and then Raith shortly afterwards. That game at Ochilview was just about rock bottom for me, a few of the happy clappers should have been there to witness that.
I'm not really excited about trekking up for home games so I've only made one which was crap, and stayed the weekend. Unless I get a fantastic deal on the train I'm not going, and the days of driving up and back the same day are long gone.

Edited by The Mantis

14 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

We've got, what, between 1400 and 1600 ST holders? The board know fine well this will drop next season if Dodds stays. They've already tried to cover up the drop in attendances by including them in the crowd figures, which had the Morton fans creaming themselves this week. They can only get away with this for so long. 
For highlights of the season I can only remember winning at Dundee and then Raith shortly afterwards. That game at Ochilview was just about rock bottom for me, a few of the happy clappers should have been there to witness that. I'm not really excited about trekking up for home games so I've only made one which was crap, and stayed the weekend. Unless I get a fantastic deal on the train I'm not going, and the days of driving up and back the same day are long gone.

That Dundee one must be one of the highlights for me as well. Even then I wouldn't class it as a good performance. The thing that made it stand out was coming from 2-1 down to win 3-2.

I was at that Queens Park game as well and the second half was one of the worst I have ever been to. I really can't put into words how bad it was, it will live with me for a long time.

My biggest issue is, and I will sound like a bit of a hypocrite here, is our performances under Dodds. How many times can we say that was a good performance? I think it would be single digits. I generally don't care how we win, as long as we do but at the same time I think with the players that we have/have had we really should be performing a lot better on the park. Weather that be win, lose or draw. If we lose games and play reasonably well it isn't so much of a problem for me but when every game seems to be the same old crap I really don't see how the board could think offering him a new contract would be a good idea.

If we somehow win promotion, then they would have to give him a new deal but I still don't think that would be a good idea. He can have a good run of form results wise but it won't change the long term issues with him in charge. 

The players need to take some blame too. There’s been too many individual errors costing us recently. The importance of finishing 2nd was spoken about in the summer, it’s now unlikely and they must realise that, do they even believe we can go up? Some of them could already have their heads in next season

One thing I've noticed recently is that Dodds never plays three in the middle.  It's always a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 where the 10 is essentially a striker.  Even when he started with a 3-5-2 against St Johnstone in the first play off leg, one of the midfield three was Aaron Doran.  You can get away with only two in midfield but usually at least one of them needs to be a fairly robust Draper, Black, Duncan type and we don't have anyone like that now.  Putting Carson in there might make a difference, especially as part of a three, but given how poor our other options are at RB we can't really risk moving him.

15 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

For highlights of the season I can only remember winning at Dundee and then Raith shortly afterwards. That game at Ochilview was just about rock bottom for me, a few of the happy clappers should have been there to witness that. I'm not really excited about trekking up for home games so I've only made one which was crap, and stayed the weekend. Unless I get a fantastic deal on the train I'm not going, and the days of driving up and back the same day are long gone.

Haven’t we always just announced the tickets sold as the “attendance”? I seem to recall people picking up on this when we were in the Premiership. Might be more noticeable if the people in the stadium is half of the number announced. 

I’ve not been to a home game for a few years admittedly, used to work every saturday until late 2019 then Covid hit and not managed to get up since. For the product on offer, I can’t justify a full tank of petrol etc. 

The second half at Ochilview was the most one sided game of football I’ve ever seen, was embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

One thing I've noticed recently is that Dodds never plays three in the middle.  It's always a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 where the 10 is essentially a striker.  Even when he started with a 3-5-2 against St Johnstone in the first play off leg, one of the midfield three was Aaron Doran.  You can get away with only two in midfield but usually at least one of them needs to be a fairly robust Draper, Black, Duncan type and we don't have anyone like that now.  Putting Carson in there might make a difference, especially as part of a three, but given how poor our other options are at RB we can't really risk moving him.

Said this at the weekend, we rarely dominate the midfield with just 2 and are very reluctant to change formation. The lack of pace through the middle is a big issue too.

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Haven’t we always just announced the tickets sold as the “attendance”? I seem to recall people picking up on this when we were in the Premiership. Might be more noticeable if the people in the stadium is half of the number announced. 

Aye they’ve done it for years, I just worded it badly. We used to laugh at County when they started it, and we started doing it along with a few other clubs, and it was almost believable at times, but it seems really blatant now, e.g. last week. 

Man Management in any area is first and foremost about motivation, attaboys when deserved and a quiet word when it goes wrong, you can blend a good team of men when you have that skills plus the most important tool in your toolbox is always to listen, get that right and you have guys working for the team and you.

Throughout the two seasons I haven't seen that.

What I have see is guys running in all directions chasing the ball instead of controlling it, the blame for that lies with the guy in charge.

Alex Ferguson took a bunch of kids to the top through cajoling and rebuking when necessary but mostly motivating them to believe they were the best.

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Aye they’ve done it for years, I just worded it badly. We used to laugh at County when they started it, and we started doing it along with a few other clubs, and it was almost believable at times, but it seems really blatant now, e.g. last week. 

If things continue with falling attendances I can see fan cardboard cut outs in seats a la St Johnstone.

I work every second weekend, so go to pretty much every second game (unless I’m on nightshift which means I can still go) - I live in Aberdeen so every game (bar Cove away!) is an away day.

This season is the first time in my life there have been several weekends I’ve just decided not to go. 

Think that says enough about the numbing effect of #Doddsball 

While footfall may be dropping and people are citing Doddsball which I don't disagree as a factor we also need to consider the socioeconomic environment and that attendances throughout all football is dropping in Scotland.  Being able to separate and differentiate the impact of each individually is impossible therefore while fans may cite on park quality as a reason that may not be always the actuality therefore masking its impact.

The fact that both manager & DoF contracts expire this summer, theoretically should free up a decent sum of money which we can replace Dodds with a comparative equal and still reduce expenditure if the DoF role is abandoned altogether (whether we can invest elsewhere or just balance the books remains to be seen). However, that does not necessarily correlate to increased footfall - there will be those fans who will still delay (or abandon) ST purchases or attending to see how things change with a new manager/group of players. Realistically unless we get promoted and there is the 'draw' of the big time its likely ST will always fall this summer now and people would rather say its due to football product than cite personal finances which is highly understandable.

We (the fans online) have discussed at length every few weeks (after every home game it seems) regarding footfall and all recognise the blame lies within the club. Holistically though football is a 'working' persons game , therefore when the economy struggles so do the attendances which the club cannot counteract.

Bear in mind that as attendances continue to fall and stadium costs rise dramatically one of the attempts to save revenue will be to strongly increase the price of Season tickets and gate admissions.

I saw this in January at my golf club where annual subs increased by a few hundred to combat costs in course maintenance and staff wages.

9 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Bear in mind that as attendances continue to fall and stadium costs rise dramatically one of the attempts to save revenue will be to strongly increase the price of Season tickets and gate admissions.

I saw this in January at my golf club where annual subs increased by a few hundred to combat costs in course maintenance and staff wages.

Too easily justified by any organisation right now, higher energy costs, circa 10% inflation............whether there are enough patrons who will just absorb and accept without business impact is unlikely, but we already know the wording expected in any statements regarding these matters will be coming regardless. Football however is based on strong fan allegiances where we are taken for granted (and exploited in many ways) so spinning perhaps a 5% ticket increase as a favour based on 10% inflation would not be a shock and most fans where possible will just dig deeper out of loyalty and support for the club.

On 09/02/2023 at 10:37, Juanhourjoe said:

Getting promoted through the playoffs still wouldn't be enough to erase all the poor spells for me. Maybe if we win the league outright, or the Scottish Cup. But any goodwill is long gone. 

f**k. Were going to win the cup now. Looks like we're keeping Dodds