The Celtic All Seasons thread

17 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If a new manager does come in he will get 3 or 4 transfer windows we are starting from a position of strength.
Getting rid of the bad apples won't be a problem.

A new manager would be starting from a position of strength? Compared to who, Hearts?

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

Morelos has a contract until Summer 2023 so I don't think it is comparable in this situation. We still have arguably 2 transfer windows where we could sell him without his contract impacting his value.

It's not fully comparable but you've missed out on the £15M to £20M it might have been. We can all take it as read he won't be extending so he's likely to move on this summer.

17 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If a new manager does come in he will get 3 or 4 transfer windows we are starting from a position of strength.

If Celtic are giving a new manager 3 or 4 transfer windows then that's a huge risk, because you're effectively putting yourself in a position where you're going to be underdogs in the league and Rangers will be favourites for two seasons minimum.

The reason that is so risky is Scotland's improved performance in Europe means a title win is much more likely to come with access to CL money. If it does, then Dermot Desmond either sticks his hand in his pocket to bridge the gap (as Rangers' shareholders did), or accepts being second until Celtic can nick a title.

Celtic's best bet is trying to turn the avalanche of resources they'll get from selling Christie, Ntcham, Ajer and Edouard into a very quick rebuild. It's a really difficult thing to do, and it's a shitty option, but all the other options are worse. This is the effect of constantly making bad decisions.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

What they do is look at the stats, see where a team is lacking and then look for players who can improve this based o their stats. A more moneyball approach (that isn't for everyone) than your traditional "sign him because he scores lots of goals".

They look at stats of a player playing in an attacking role at one of the only two half decent teams in a shite league and decide he'd be a good fit for a team struggling in a much more complex and challenging league? 

My theory isn't "he scores loads of goals let's sign him" and more, he's absolutely shite and it's laughable to assume he would - in any way - improve Arsenal's standing as a football team. 

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

Jack Hendry, Vakoun Bayo, Marian Shved ,Boli Bolingoli. Olivier Ntcham Hatem Elhamed Tom Rogic plus the 4 loaned players will leave.

I think you should be expecting Edouard and Ajer to leave as well. That would leave maybe only 2 or 3 players at the most that I'd suggest would get into Rangers starting 11. You'll need a lot of reinforcements in a short period of time.

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Jack Hendry, Vakoun Bayo, Marian Shved ,Boli Bolingoli. Olivier Ntcham Hatem Elhamed Tom Rogic plus the 4 loaned players will leave.

if Lennon, Brown, Ajer and Edouard leave on top of that that's a huge clear out.

I'd put the other forwards more 'at risk' than some of the players you have named.

Just now, AJF said:

I think you should be expecting Edouard and Ajer to leave as well. That would leave maybe only 2 or 3 players at the most that I'd suggest would get into Rangers starting 11. You'll need a lot of reinforcements in a short period of time.

Would expect Christie and McGregor to be looking to escape the shitshow if they can too, especially if they have a good Euros.

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

Celtic's best bet is trying to turn the avalanche of resources they'll get from selling Christie, Ntcham, Ajer and Edouard into a very quick rebuild.

And doing that with a scouting department who are not exactly knocking it out of the park. 

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Plus Edouard, Ajer and Christie.

Without those players, Celtic's squad for next season looks like this:

Barkas, Jullien, Taylor, Bitton, Brown (if he extends), Griffiths, Ajeti, Klimala, Soro, Turnbull, Johnston, Connell, Bain, McGregor, Forrest, Welsh, Ralston, Hazard

18 players, and at least 9 of them are nowhere near good enough.

On 01/02/2021 at 08:54, gannonball said:

In some ways Bennett is kind of like PnB’s Duffy, Constantly fucking up and making and arse of himself yet somehow is still always there.

He's not even close to one of your own.

For arguements sake let's sake Edouard and Ajer are happy enough to stay until deadline day. It's starting next season as

NEW

NEW Ajer Julien NEW

McGregor NEW

Forrest Christie NEW

Edouard

but then knowing two of the six will go near the deadline.

So much deadwood needs to go. 

Edited by d31

8 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

They look at stats of a player playing in an attacking role at one of the only two half decent teams in a shite league and decide he'd be a good fit for a team struggling in a much more complex and challenging league? 

My theory isn't "he scores loads of goals let's sign him" and more, he's absolutely shite and it's laughable to assume he would - in any way - improve Arsenal's standing as a football team. 

You thought Greg Stewart would be a great signing for Rangers too so I wouldn't trust your eye for talent pal 👍

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

If we get major dosh for our best players they will leave, it happens every window.

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

If we get major dosh for our best players they will leave, it happens every window.

Exactly, and if Celtic don't sell them in the summer then they will likely leave for nothing which is why I said you should expect to see Edouard and Ajer leave as well so Celtic can cash in on them.

7 minutes ago, G51 said:

Barkas, Jullien, Taylor, Bitton, Brown (if he extends), Griffiths, Ajeti, Klimala, Soro, Turnbull, Johnston, Connell, Bain, McGregor, Forrest, Welsh, Ralston, Hazard

Could be worse though

9 minutes ago, G51 said:

There is definitely a war chest there. 

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

You thought Greg Stewart would be a great signing for Rangers too so I wouldn't trust your eye for talent pal 👍

Greg Stewart would have been a great signing for Rangers - if they built the side around him. I said exactly the same thing when he left for Birmingham. He doesn't work anywhere near hard enough off the ball - especially the way Gerrard has moved his teams work ethic onto. 

I'm extremely comfortable with my 'eye for talent' tbh. Especially when it's being put up against "Aye but the Athletic huv sed it so must be summit init min". 

42 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Does he? Depends on fan reaction. 3-4 windows means that the new manager could still be there if you don't win the league in 21/22 or 22/23. I can't see that. Maybe one year at most but depends on how fans are going to react.