Work colleagues

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Or just maybe these people were content with their lives.

All the miserable people I ever worked with were clock watchers.

I never said they were miserable, I said I would be miserable if my work was the only thing I had in my life.

46 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You can make whatever excuses you want. It's no skin off my nose. You get one life. You want to waste it doing something you hate that's on you and nobody else.

I love these arguments. If everyone did what they loved every day life would be a shambles. No more meals out for oaksoft because who the f**k loves waiting tables? No more pubs because who the f**k loves serving drunk arseholes? Caught short in public and bursting for a piss or a shite? Sorry, nobody loves cleaning toilets so they're out of order.

In future may I suggest that you count yourself lucky that you're able to do something you love and stop sniping at others who perhaps need to take a shit job just to feed themselves. 

I like my job, just not to the extent I would work some hours for free. 

I can clearly see why certain people would be happy to do so though, I really can't see an issue with it.

The issue I do have, is employers expecting if from you, that's despicable.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I never said they were miserable, I said I would be miserable if my work was the only thing I had in my life.

I love these arguments. If everyone did what they loved every day life would be a shambles. No more meals out for oaksoft because who the f**k loves waiting tables? No more pubs because who the f**k loves serving drunk arseholes? Caught short in public and bursting for a piss or a shite? Sorry, nobody loves cleaning toilets so they're out of order.

In future may I suggest that you count yourself lucky that you're able to do something you love and stop sniping at others who perhaps need to take a shit job just to feed themselves. 

I know folk who really do love waiting in restaurants and working in pubs. Mostly down to the other staff and the punters. I really enjoyed working in the kitchen which doesn't appear on your list.

No everyone gets satisfaction from a creative job or a well paid one. 

I hate when meaningful employment is passed off as a shit job. Who are any of us to decide what is and isn't a 'shit' job especially when you use manual tasks for your examples, no-one has any real idea what other folk have gone through to get where they are you might go into cleaning for a hundred reasons that actually mean for the individual it's a really good job. Especially when probably the worst job I can imagine is working in a kids hospital watching kids die all the time. 

We all have our part to play and we don't all get satisfaction from the same things, thankfully.

28 minutes ago, 101 said:

I know folk who really do love waiting in restaurants and working in pubs. Mostly down to the other staff and the punters. I really enjoyed working in the kitchen which doesn't appear on your list.

No everyone gets satisfaction from a creative job or a well paid one. 

I hate when meaningful employment is passed off as a shit job. Who are any of us to decide what is and isn't a 'shit' job especially when you use manual tasks for your examples, no-one has any real idea what other folk have gone through to get where they are you might go into cleaning for a hundred reasons that actually mean for the individual it's a really good job. Especially when probably the worst job I can imagine is working in a kids hospital watching kids die all the time. 

We all have our part to play and we don't all get satisfaction from the same things, thankfully.

Of course some people love it, but nowhere near the number of folk actually required to run millions of restaurants all over the world.

I totally agree with your last line and I really didn't mean to devalue any of the aforementioned workers, I was just using less desirable jobs as an example of why we can't all get paid for doing things we love. Some of us will but I've got to imagine those who actually LOVE what they do is the minority.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Of course some people love it, but nowhere near the number of folk actually required to run millions of restaurants all over the world.

I totally agree with your last line and I really didn't mean to devalue any of the aforementioned workers, I was just using less desirable jobs as an example of why we can't all get paid for doing things we love. Some of us will but I've got to imagine those who actually LOVE what they do is the minority.

Sorry I sound a bit ranty. 

You're right of course, I would add that people who do work they love probably aren't rewarded financially however they never work a day of their lives so I guess they win.

I expect the percentage of people who genuinely love their job is about 5/10%. About 80% will tolerate their work for what it is and about 10% will absolutely loathe their job.

I've worked with the latter in the past and they really can be torn-faced c***s. Used to work with a couple of women who moaned like f**k about the job and it was soul destroying listening to their pish. It wasn't as if it was a particularly skilled job that paid well so they could have easily got another job in the same industry but chose to tell everyone every day how shit it was and make no effort to get another job. Needless to say these women were up the managers arses and everything was rosy whenever they were asked. I'm convinced they stayed because they enjoyed moaning.

Or just maybe these people were content with their lives.
All the miserable people I ever worked with were clock watchers.

All the miserable people you’ve worked with have to work with you tbf...

I think there is a bit of middle ground. It's more than fair enough if you start and end work bang on the allotted time and it's madness if you are routinely doing unpaid overtime.

I can understand why someone who is right in the middle of a task spend 20 minutes at the end of the day to get it done and give themself a bit more skive time the next day.

I find teachers, particularly Primary teachers often boast about how many hours they put in. I'm not sure if it's common knowledge but the teaching working time agreement states you should do 35hrs work a week. On average, doing more is down to inefficienct working and/or stupidity

I know some teachers and it's just not possible for them to plan lessons and do all the paperwork asked of them and actually teach the kids in 35 hours. They feel they have to work unpaid overtime because of their sense of responsibility to the children they're teaching.

Not a defence of doing unpaid work but it's structural, rather than down to poor time management.
I am a teacher, as is my wife. Some weeks can be far more hectic than others and I will spend more than 35 hrs working, others, especially during study leave and the like it will be far, far less. It evens itself out.

A new teacher will probably need more time to plan and create resources but if you are routinely doing more than 12.5 hrs of work a week outwith class contact, something is wrong and I don't think it's the system.

12 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I find teachers, particularly Primary teachers often boast about how many hours they put in. I'm not sure if it's common knowledge but the teaching working time agreement states you should do 35hrs work a week. On average, doing more is down to inefficienct working and/or stupidity

I'm a teacher. While I agree that there are a large number of martyrs in the profession who will boast of working 60+ hour weeks, it is not physically possible to do the job in 35 hours a week.

I expect the percentage of people who genuinely love their job is about 5/10%. About 80% will tolerate their work for what it is and about 10% will absolutely loathe their job.

I've worked with the latter in the past and they really can be torn-faced c***s. Used to work with a couple of women who moaned like f**k about the job and it was soul destroying listening to their pish. It wasn't as if it was a particularly skilled job that paid well so they could have easily got another job in the same industry but chose to tell everyone every day how shit it was and make no effort to get another job. Needless to say these women were up the managers arses and everything was rosy whenever they were asked. I'm convinced they stayed because they enjoyed moaning.

^^^ living the dream [emoji6]

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Would agree with your post; think there's also a point to be made that if you're young or have been out of work for a while for whatever reason, you might end up taking a job you're far from in love with just to get some cash in every week/month.

Call centre work is something I can't see myself ever doing again, found it relentlessly miserable having to take call after call for 8 hours, would rather do just about anything else but then there's other folk out there that might have some kind of contact centre job that they're happy with the pay, colleagues, general nature of the calls they take etc. Think the sheer amount of micromanagement is another factor that put me off doing it for good, just something that doesn't sit right about a company monitoring your piss breaks tbh.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I'm a teacher. While I agree that there are a large number of martyrs in the profession who will boast of working 60+ hour weeks, it is not physically possible to do the job in 35 hours a week.

EVERYONE in a job for a period of time is a teacher.

That's the whole thing about passing knowledge/skills down to the newbies.

I 'lol' at the overpaid ones in so called Education whining , they are in the wrong job.

I work in law and am trying to get out as quickly as I can without having to go to another office job (i.e. early retirement). Can't face working in an office, staring at a screen, doing uninspiring work surrounded by two faced shit c***s for the rest of my life.

A few years back I was doing Deliveroo on my bike during a lean spell. Keeping fit, whizzing around central London being an arse to taxi drivers, always having backup from other delivery people if it got heated on the road, wee chats while waiting at each restaurant with other Deliveroo/Uber people, making pals with foreign staff who can barely speak English at your regular haunts, flirting with basically any female who answered the door regardless of how she looked, getting to explore all the little side streets and see different sides of the city, coming home full of endorphins to a girlfriend who appreciated the fact I was putting in manual labour to pay the bills. I loved it.

I tell people in law that I was on Deliveroo and they look at me like it must have been awful. It's all about perspective, and I know which one I preferred.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

36 minutes ago, charon said:

EVERYONE in a job for a period of time is a teacher.

That's the whole thing about passing knowledge/skills down to the newbies.

I 'lol' at the overpaid ones in so called Education whining , they are in the wrong job.

You do lesson planning and marking for your newbies most evenings after work then? Good on you!