Work colleagues

Just now, welshbairn said:

You do lesson planning and marking for your newbies most evenings after work then? Good on you!

No, I do assesments after 4/12 weeks.

Tell them to 'sign here' re my evaluation.

* I don't 'do' evaluation, I just teach them. If they are not up to the job, they will leave, it ain't a fuckin' office environment.

But.... Look at results.

A/ I turn out folk capable of actually holding down a job.

N/ the so called teachers of our Education system, do not.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

I like my job fine but if I'm not being paid to do it I'm not doing it. What kind of weirdo puts such a low value on their time they don't mind giving it to their work for free?

This. People need to remember that their actions have consequences on others too. If you loathe your home life enough to give your time away thats on you. But we have already seen from people on here that managements expectations of them go beyond what they are contracted to give because othe people work outwith their contract. Undermining the working conditions of other people, and the constant, uphill battle for fair working conditions in this country isnt something to be proud of. 

And FWIW I dont mind my work. I am in my third job since school and have been fine with them all. Have never worked a minute unpaid though and never will, because despite liking my job fine, I still wish I didnt have to work and at any given time can think of any things I would rather be doing. I feel nothing but pity for anyone who cannot think of anything they would rather be doing than working unpaid.

We are WAY off topic.

What job has the soundest colleagues?

My office job is really hit or miss but in catering pretty much everyone who worked there was a good laugh and had each others backs.

21 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I like my job fine but if I'm not being paid to do it I'm not doing it. What kind of weirdo puts such a low value on their time they don't mind giving it to their work for free?

My favourite bit of Oaksoft's posts was when he stated that, "You only get one life", then went on to state that you should be happy to stay behind in work. Can't think of any better ways of spending my one shot on this planet tbh. 

45 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Unfortunately the answer is people in their first job who have been told it is normal.  

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

People don't need to remember anything. It's up to you to stand up to your bosses. Don't blame others for your weakness.

Also, I know this is a shock to you but loving work and loving your hone life are not mutually exclusive. You can have both. You are only kidding yourself if you believe those of us who love work loathe our home lives.

It is difficult to stand up to your boss if nobody else does and especially if it is your first job.

My first job was great.  I enjoyed being at work and I enjoyed not being at work.  Also they were hostile to overtime unless some client was paying for it.

My second job was crap.  Everybody routinely did overtime even when work was quiet.  Some people didn't take all their holiday allocation.  You were expected to come in on bank holidays and it is almost seen as disloyal to actually want a home life.

Now I am self employed which is brilliant.

31 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

People don't need to remember anything. It's up to you to stand up to your bosses. Don't blame others for your weakness.

Also, I know this is a shock to you but loving work and loving your hone life are not mutually exclusive. You can have both. You are only kidding yourself if you believe those of us who love work loathe our home lives.

Worth pointing out at this juncture that no one is buying anything you say. 

1 hour ago, LondonHMFC said:

Well guys, hard for me to post this, but Milky Gem is leaving after today. 

A sad loss to the signature world. 

I'm devastated. I fully expect that the Pn'B Massive shall be invited to the leaving do ?

Obviously, now is the time for LondonHMFC to let Gem know that she's been a "Forces Sweetheart" for the last couple of years and we fully deserve to see a pic of our lass.

I've had dozens of jobs and my enjoyment of them has been mainly down to the attitudes of management. The actual work I've been doing doesn't affect me as much.

Perhaps my favourite job was working as a cleaner. All the management were decent folk, let you finish early if you were done instead of giving you busy work, you got paid to volunteer one day a year rather than doing your normal work, you could take unpaid holiday without much fuss and so on.
(Also cleaning really isn't that bad a job, people hate the idea because they don't like doing it at home in their free time. I hate doing accounts at home but people seem to like doing it for money. )

My worst jobs have undoubtedly been places where the manager blames underlings for their own mistakes, bullies people and generally has everyone asking for a transfer within a month or so. The actual work is largely irrelevant.

I was at a work conference down south last year and was getting the train back with one my colleagues. At some point on the journey she decided to facetime her daughter who must be about 13. She's doing the usual waving and having toe curling chat whilst I was sat opposite and minding my own business. 

Next thing she tells me to say hey and turns her phone screen around, showing me her kid holding a very ugly and aggressive looking cat(I don't like cats). I just kind of stuttered out a hello as we both looked at each other in sheer bewilderment until the encounter was over. 

Horrifying. 

25 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

I was at a work conference down south last year and was getting the train back with one my colleagues. At some point on the journey she decided to facetime her daughter who must be about 13. She's doing the usual waving and having toe curling chat whilst I was sat opposite and minding my own business. 

Next thing she tells me to say hey and turns her phone screen around, showing me her kid holding a very ugly and aggressive looking cat(I don't like cats). I just kind of stuttered out a hello as we both looked at each other in sheer bewilderment until the encounter was over. 

Horrifying. 

When she got home she told her daughter, "That was the creepy guy from work I was telling you about!"