Mossmorran aka Mordor

D.A.F.C

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

is that how your superpower works then? Some algo that hacks a photo up into its constituent points of interest then does the same to any new one and scores it against some mega database to guess where it is?

I wish I was that clever.

10 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Genuinely looks like a train explosion setting the Forth Bridge alight.  Fife Has Fallen

Just now, The Moonster said:

Just years of hunting people down through selfies taken at their homes before brutally murdering and disposing of them?

With selfies comes consequences. 

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Newer and more efficient lights than the previous lot.

image.png.127c86554919a59ab6131c7080439628.png 

Yes, it was the orange high pressure  sodium ones before . They looked shite most of the time but I liked them in the snow. They give off light pollution so on the whole I’m glad to see the back of them. 

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Yes, it was the orange high pressure  sodium ones before . They looked shite most of the time but I liked them in the snow. They give off light pollution so on the whole I’m glad to see the back of them. 

Good job there aren't any big f*** off orange flares nearby then.  :lol:

seems mad they burn off 100 tonnes of gas an hour, has it no other economic use?

Flares are generally but not alwyas safety devices. You only really flare gas in a process upset or if it's off spec. In general terms if something is going up your flare, 3 layers of management want to know why the f**k their money is being torched, so it is a last resort most of the time. That said, commercial flaring exists. A simple example would be if your plant runs perfectly at a throughput of 100 tons per hour, but you can only sell 80 tons worth of product, you run it where its happy and flare the excess, or in take or pay feedstock arrangements. That, is shady as f**k.  

ETA they are always safety devices, but they can be utilised in various ways

• 1 month later...

Anyone looking for a comparison for Cowdenbeath other than Mordor could do worse than the Iron Republic in Fallen London...

"Hell's client-state. Be wary. Their laws are not the laws of Man or Nature."

"Factory-engines roar like false lions. Blood thunders in the dock-pipes. Crimson lightning skitters across the deck, leaps to the rail, coils there like a cat. The city is reflected in glassy-calm harbour water: the citizens there have the heads of dogs and serpents."

"Hell has brought freedom to the Iron Republic: freedom from all laws, even those of nature."

The Iron Republic is a chaotic colony of Hell.

10 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Mossmorran: Carbon emissions from flaring revealed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-54840311

Disgraceful.

It is genuinely disgraceful that nothing is done. SEPA absolutely love to act the big man and talk about all the things they could do, before doing precisely f**k all.

Flares are generally but not alwyas safety devices. You only really flare gas in a process upset or if it's off spec. In general terms if something is going up your flare, 3 layers of management want to know why the f**k their money is being torched, so it is a last resort most of the time. That said, commercial flaring exists. A simple example would be if your plant runs perfectly at a throughput of 100 tons per hour, but you can only sell 80 tons worth of product, you run it where its happy and flare the excess, or in take or pay feedstock arrangements. That, is shady as f**k.   

ETA they are always safety devices, but they can be utilised in various ways

Economic flaring has been banned in the uk since the 80s although there is a fair sized list of exemptions.
In downstream operations like mossmoran or grangemouth its almost never economical to flare gas anyway but in upstream settings like drilling for oil, the infrastructure required to retain and export the gas that derives from the oil is much more expensive and doesn’t make the companies enough profit( most companies will only commission a project if it’s over a certain percentage return) in the first world regulations mean they have to build it or they wouldn’t get permission for their lucrative oil operations, in the third world with less stringent regulations and high corruption it’s common practice just to burn of low margin byproducts. In Nigeria shell flares almost all of its produced gas for economic reasons even when Nigeria itself has a gas and electricity shortage

2 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Economic flaring has been banned in the uk since the 80s although there is a fair sized list of exemptions.
In downstream operations like mossmoran or grangemouth its almost never economical to flare gas anyway but in upstream settings like drilling for oil, the infrastructure required to retain and export the gas that derives from the oil is much more expensive and doesn’t make the companies enough profit( most companies will only commission a project if it’s over a certain percentage return) in the first world regulations mean they have to build it or they wouldn’t get permission for their lucrative oil operations, in the third world with less stringent regulations and high corruption it’s common practice just to burn of low margin byproducts. In Nigeria shell flares almost all of its produced gas for economic reasons even when Nigeria itself has a gas and electricity shortage

Sounds like you know your stuff re legislation etc, certainly better than I do, so I also assume you don't need me to tell you that it goes on regardless.