Queens v St Mirren

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Stuck a fiver on St. Mirren when we went down 1-0. Was regretting it a few minutes later, but what a turnaround. What made it even sweeter was that I had money on Mackenzie anytime as well.

Merry Christmas!

When it went to 2-0 I put £2.50 on the draw at 10-1 and £2.50 on Saints at 25-1. 

Cashed out when big Gary scored, which cost me £30, but do I care - nope!

Amazing result from the Saints. 

What character there is in this team!

Just unreal stuff today. A really enjoyable game but as a QoS fan I can help be furious with the final result. I thought St Mirren passed it around quite nicely and for large parts bossed the game but even their most biased fan would have to admit every single one of their goals today was completely gift wrapped (merry christmas indeed!).

The first I expect Martin's critics will still blame him but I'm told he did put his name on it, therefore Brownlie has got to leave it. The second, Brownlie must have been thinking about his christmas dinner because he was completely missing for the goal, good finish from Gav. The third is utterly infuriating as McKenzie had been unmarked previously at corners. Why do we never learn?!

GN normally has his excuses but tonight he'll be correct to blame his players. 3 massive mistakes have well and truly outdone us.

Unless Fordyce is out long term then top of the transfer list has got to be a CM. We need a player who can put their foot on the ball in there. Tapping isn't up to it, it's never been Jacobs' game and Rankin doesn't do it. I like how we kept going at St Mirren at 2-0 but at 2-1 we could have done with a bit of composure in the middle. We really don't have someone like that and hopefully a CM is top of GN's wishlist.

Kane was immense for me today. Thoroughly deserved his MoM award and took his goal really well. Who'd have thought he'd show his capabilities with a run of games?

Applauded oor Gav off as well. Never stopped and took his second goal really well. Didn't celebrate which was a nice touch even though I wouldn't have held it against him had he deservedly done so.

Also, Bet365 want to question their man at today's game. Thought I'd have a wee peek at the odds after 50 minutes expecting St Mirren to be about 11/10. Bit their hand off with this blunder even though it's bittersweet.

af4f25ef35a9b63fa8ef8b45fd586877.jpg

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Brownlie has managed to give away two goals, get needlessly booked and miss a sitter. Apart from that, he's been a rock.

A bit annoying, given the way we started.

It was Kerr who gave away the 1st and 3 rd goal.Had easily his poorest game for Queens..What the hell was he thinking at the 1st goal that was the turning point in the game  We looked like we could score more but the 1st goal gave them a huge lift .The 3 rd goal was again very poor from Kerr why did he just let McKenzie run in and score .

It was Kerr who gave away the 1st and 3 rd goal.Had easily his poorest game for Queens..What the hell was he thinking at the 1st goal that was the turning point in the game  We looked like we could score more but the 1st goal gave them a huge lift .The 3 rd goal was again very poor from Kerr why did he just let McKenzie run in and score .

I thought it was Brownlie who headed it for the first but I'm not 100% sure so will need to see the highlights (or wait until more folk comment).

The ref seems to be enraging both sets of supporters which is just adding to the entertainment.

I lost count of the Queens bookings, none of which were clear cut IMO and the one for time wasting in the first half not only laughably wrong ( he was passing the ball BACK to the free kick taker ffs) but the red then failed to follow this up by booking any of the several Saints players who actually did kick the ball away in the 2nd half.

In case that sounds like sour grapes the better Team won. But McLean really really annoyed me today

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I thought it was Brownlie who headed it for the first but I'm not 100% sure so will need to see the highlights (or wait until more folk comment).

I thought so too.

For the second, he committed himself to going for a ball he was never getting near, thus taking himself out of the game and giving Reilly a clear run into space to finish well.

Am I right in saying that the winner was kicked in from about four yards?  Scandalous that a corner could reach that area. 

It was a good game, but I'm really frustrated that we managed to lose it.

What a funny, brilliant, infuriating, exciting and ultimately disappointing afternoon that turned out to be!  I don't know whether to be annoyed at the "two nil and you fucked it up", or content that we went toe-to-toe with the best team in the league and only lost through dreadful defending/goalkeeping.  Since it's Christmas I'll go with the latter, especially as by the end we were a bit depleted with two of our better players off injured.  A draw would have been the fairest of outcomes, but you can't defend like that and expect to pick anything up.

For me that outcome doesn't happen if Callum Fordyce is playing, and only cements my view that he is comfortably our best centre half.  Brownlie and Kerr both had shockers, with Alan Martin not covering himself in glory once again against St Mirren.

Mercer carried on where he left off against Dundee United with another fine performance.  Dobbie was at his majestic best, with a typical finish and a beautiful assist.  Kane was our best player though putting in a hell of a shift.  Dykes was good in the first half before fading in the second.  Personally I would have kept Stirling on.  What's the point in bringing Lyle on, but taking off one of the players most likely to setup a chance for him?  Tapping was woeful, to the surprise of nobody.  I feel sorry for him, but he really has proven to be a complete waste of a wage for the best part of 3 years.  He simply isn't up to it.  Surely we have someone in the U20s worth taking a chance on ahead of him?

Hats off to the excellent support down from Paisley, the atmosphere they created definitely added to what was a great game.  I would love to see a day where we take an away following like that to a run of the mill league game.  Dobbie and Morgan on the same park was a treat, with Reilly and Kane also shining on the day.

For the Buddies it sets up next weeks game with Dundee United nicely, for us it gives Gary Naysmith a lot to ponder.  Centre half and centre midfield were already priorities before today, but the injury to Jacobs and the likely departure of Kerr have increased this need considerably.  His transfer dealings have been very good so far so hopefully he has a few in the pipeline ready to bring in as soon as the window opens.

As much as I agree that it was 3 defensive lapses that got us the goals, the same could be said for both the qos goals and most goals in football.
I hope qos keep Morton out of the play-offs at the end of the season as I thought their fans were a credit to them. Good luck with the rest of the season. Good team

It was an exciting match, but all in all pretty costly for us.

Alongside losing it from a really strong position we suffered injuries that we can ill afford, to two of our more reliable players.

Both got a bit bizarrely injured too.  I think it was Kane that caught Jacobs and of course nobody caught Marshall who was given offside anyway. 

It really wasn't a good day for us, even though it was in some respects, quite a good performance. 

1 minute ago, mylothedog said:

As much as I agree that it was 3 defensive lapses that got us the goals, the same could be said for both the qos goals and most goals in football.
I hope qos keep Morton out of the play-offs at the end of the season as I thought their fans were a credit to them. Good luck with the rest of the season. Good team

I agree that people are often to quick to criticise when goals are scored, always looking to find an error rather than praise the attackers.  

However, today was rather more extreme.  The goals we lost were due to bad lapses, with the first, an example of sheer comedy.  Contrast that with Dobbie's, which really did result purely from his genius.

You must surely recognise that from our viewpoint, today went way beyond the usual default grumbling about avoidable goals?

That is what gets me we gave the goals to St Mirren  The 1st goal as u have said what was Kerr thinking about think my wife could have scored that .The 3rd goal what was Kerr doing again confident again that my wife could have scored from 3 yards.

Terrible that my wife could have got 2 goals for St Mirren again right back to my drink again 

No real complaints with result as that was as entertaining and frustrating a first half as you can get. I'd like to see first one again - Brownlie/Kerr/Martin all seemed to go for the same ball when it was in the air. If it was inside the box the centre halves should have blocked off the attacker allowing keeper to collect. However if its outside box the defender should have cleared and keeper shouldn't have been out there.

Second thought there was a foul in build up on Kerr, ball broke and Brownlie couldn't challenge as he had just been booked (don't get me started on that booking - should have been Martin if anyone). Third - a ball should not be bouncing in 6 yard box from a corner like that.

Thought Jacobs was a big miss after he went off - some one who reads the game well and does un noticed work.

Archived