A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

20 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Willie Henderson sporting a quite magnificent tache in a friendly between QPR and Rangers in 1969, I vaguely remember as a kid, sure it was in the early 1980's that they had a bizarre  some would suggest laughable policy of insisting players were clean shaven, probably in some staunch Presbyterian edict suggested by someone, I remember a newspaper article about Dougie Bell having to shave his beard when he joined from Hibs, any older posters recall this and who implemented and scrapped it?

FB_IMG_1683572351235.jpg

According to my rangers supporting colleague this photo was taken from a thread on follow follow .Imagine a Celtic fan reading a rangers forum . 

5 minutes ago, well_said said:

According to my rangers supporting colleague this photo was taken from a thread on follow follow .Imagine a Celtic fan reading a rangers forum . 

I saw it on a Scottish football nostalgia page on Facebook and thought I'd share it on this thread. 

Swing and a miss.

19 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

john greig was allowed to grow a beard when rangers won the cup winners cup 

0A656ACC-3029-47B4-92FD-6EFBCFEDCBE6.webp

Pretty sure he grew it because he suffered an injury earlier on which made shaving awkward. He then promised to shave it off as soon as the CWC run ended.  I vaguely remember them on TV going round Ibrox with the cup and the fans chanting "we want the beard off".

1 hour ago, well_said said:

Aye very good. Obsessed with rangers.

1 hour ago, well_said said:

Aye very good. Obsessed with rangers.

Okay, let's recap......

You saw my picture on this thread, you showed it to a 'friend' who is on Follow Follow who pointed out it was on that forum?

Yeah that sounds 100% accurate and I'm sure you aren't on FF yourself.  Why would you see a random picture on here and decide to just share it with someone who frequents a Rangers forum who would just coincidentally recall it being on there, methinks you have just outed yourself brother.  😉

Either way, I saw it on a Facebook page that has nostalgic Scottish football stuff on it, if you look at my posts on this thread you will see lots of similar types of images I've seen and shared on here as I had thought they would be of interest to some who, like me enjoy this thread and the nostalgia of it, some are Celtic related with me being a Celtic supporter but many aren't and centre round the national team, other Scottish clubs or Scottish players down in England or on the continent, obviously these pictures came from FF as well? 

But aye, I'm on Follow Follow because I'm obsessed with Rangers 🤦‍♂️🤣

Edited by Flybhoy

8 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Clearly nothing to do with staunch Presbyterian edicts as the Celtic of the Stein era had a similar no facial hair rule. Check Alfie Çonn at Spurs and subsequently at Celtic for confirmation..

Motherwell may have had the same rule. I remember someone telling me goalkeeper Stewart "Basil" Rennie was allowed to grow a beard as it covered a scar sustained when he made a save at feet.

22 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Bobby Ford aged 31

download (1).jpeg

Bobby Ford actually did play a game in his 50s for Whitehill v Edinburgh City.

It was the end of the season, Welfare had won the League and had a Cup Final a few days later. Ford and Mike Lawson became probably the two oldest subs with a combined age of 102.

On 08/05/2023 at 10:40, Buddie Holly said:

was it not speedway? 🏍️

Edinburgh Monarchs were Coatbridge Monarchs for a while

This bike featured in the 100 years of Cliftonhill Exhibition a couple of years ago

IMG_20190921_130819722.thumb.jpg.40611eb94b1bd5523ad1f19eb28d17a6.jpg

On 08/05/2023 at 15:28, HibeeJibee said:

00104cf1-1500.jpg

It was 25yrs ago today Eire beat Italy by 2-1 at McDiarmid Park to win U16 Euros... last tournament hosted in Scotland except for 2019's Womens U19 Euros. In disappointing showing Scotland finished bottom of their group.

1998 UEFA European Under-16 Championship - Wikipedia

image.thumb.png.a1c2ef951a109d91a0a485e841c2e6b6.png

According to tournament programme Scotland's 30-boy squad was:

Mark Brown, Garry Hamilton, Barryjohn Corr, Jon Connolly
Marc Cocozza, Maurice Ross, Chris Doig, Darren Goldie, Kevin Milne, Stephen Crainey, Kevin McDonald, Graham McGhee, Steven Reilly
Billy Gibson, Gareth Williams, Paul McHale, Ryan McCann, Ian Murray, Joe McAlpine, Sean Kilgannon, Lee Johnstone, Brian Mulholland
Burton O'Brien, Brian Kerr, Liam Keogh, Oliver Gruber, Stephen McConalogue, Stuart Kelly, Tam McManus, Stephen McPhee

achieved U21 cap
achieved B cap
achieved full cap

That photo was driving me mental for a few minutes there! I was going to start arguing that it wasn’t McDiarmid Park despite every other photo and report confirming the final was played at McDiarmid.

I was thinking there was no S before the T and we only have one stand with writing on the seats, so it must be the start of a sponsor’s name at Broadwood or Forthbank.  But I finally worked it out..

Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

On 27/04/2023 at 22:53, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1682029595512.jpg

The quality of this photograph is absolutely unbelievable btw. Honestly, if someone had said this was their pal and their brother on a boys holiday last year I'd have believed it.

16 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

Bobby Ford aged 31

download (1).jpeg

I might be wrong and haven't Googled it, but I think that he scored the first goal of the Premier League era, which was against Aberdeen at Dens. I was there.

00104cf1-1500.jpg

It was 25yrs ago today Eire beat Italy by 2-1 at McDiarmid Park to win U16 Euros... last tournament hosted in Scotland except for 2019's Womens U19 Euros. In disappointing showing Scotland finished bottom of their group.

Marc Cocozza, Maurice Ross, Chris Doig, Darren Goldie, Kevin Milne, Stephen Crainey, Kevin McDonald, Graham McGhee, Steven Reilly
Billy Gibson, Gareth Williams, Paul McHale, Ryan McCann, Ian Murray, Joe McAlpine, Sean Kilgannon, Lee Johnstone, Brian Mulholland
Burton O'Brien, Brian Kerr, Liam Keogh, Oliver Gruber, Stephen McConalogue, Stuart Kelly, Tam McManus, Stephen McPhee

achieved U21 cap
achieved B cap
achieved full cap

I remember reading that shortly before the Tournament started, Brian Kerr took the whole Irish squad to Dunblane. The forerunner, I suppose, of Klopp's comment that Football is the most important of the least important things in life. 

Edited by Piquet

12 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The late Derek Whiteford around the same age (circa 1978).

1979DerekWhiteford.thumb.jpg.e051767b7f4f8e16f2c3936c9ae3a10e.jpg

started his own company renting out ghosts after retiring from football:

meaker.jpg.490c3dfdde0a0f5870bbf27691d3ae85.jpg

can't beat the topical references to 45 year old childrens' tv programmes, eh? 

11 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The timeless Ernie McGarr...

EM3b4kjXYAAZh1y.jpg

That's surely a misprint re his age. I remember Ernie McGarr playing for Cowdenbeath in the very first season I watched football (77/78) and he'd been around a good while before that (East Fife, Pars, Aberdeen, possibly others). I'm sure he was at Airdrie the first time they were promoted to the Premier (79/80?) and he'd be older than 25 by then.

I'm sure I read somewhere that he still attends occasional games at East Fife and is by all accounts a really decent spud.

00104cf1-1500.jpg

achieved U21 cap
achieved B cap
achieved full cap

I was at that game. I remember there was a few at McDiarmid from that tournament. Assumed that we'd maybe see a future superstar and in reality, I don't think anyone of note was involved, although I think Spain had one or two who got full caps, think Casillas was in squad, but could be wrong.