Stand Up Comedy

JMDP

On 31/07/2023 at 12:14, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Seen him at the Edinburgh Stand and in a theatre, equally at home in both type of venue, you will be entertained.

Pretty disappointed tbh.  Broadly speaking he does crude stuff, most of  which is not very clever and non-crude stuff most of which is quite clever.

• 3 weeks later...

Only two nights on his run left, but if anyone gets the chance, try and see a guy called Connor Burns hes on at a smallish venue on the Pleasance.

Young guy from Gilmerton, south Edinburgh and he is very very funny.

23 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

I'm off to see him tonight in Edinburgh 

Probably my least favourite Sadowitz gig, not so much the show but the crowd, the usual schtik and ranty monologue where everyone got it but there was much more sinister reaction to some of the parts and some weird shouting out as if it was a bnp rally rather than a comedy show 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, throbber said:

Just realised Jimmy carr said this a while back. 

https://x.com/fontanaregi/status/1704873046861832500?s=46

Speaking of Jimmy imagine this was your career now - talking like you're some brave truth teller spitting dangerous facts and then firing out some of the lamest one liners that would offend almost no one in the world. 

That this now is stand up comedy for a significant portion of the stars of the 90s and 00s is a bit of an issue imo but you know a gigs a gig I suppose

23 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Speaking of Jimmy imagine this was your career now - talking like you're some brave truth teller spitting dangerous facts and then firing out some of the lamest one liners that would offend almost no one in the world. 

That this now is stand up comedy for a significant portion of the stars of the 90s and 00s is a bit of an issue imo but you know a gigs a gig I suppose

I watched his last show because it was in the news and I wanted to see what the fuss was about. It was a lame Roy Chubby Brown act for 95% with one joke about Gypsies dying in the Holocaust being the one thing Hitler got right, to lure mugs like me into watching it. Netflix must like him anyway.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I watched his last show because it was in the news and I wanted to see what the fuss was about. It was a lame Roy Chubby Brown act for 95% with one joke about Gypsies dying in the Holocaust being the one thing Hitler got right, to lure mugs like me into watching it. Netflix must like him anyway.

It's the same as Gervais, "Oooh go on, cancel me, I'm soooo scared."

27 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

I saw that as well - I think he’s alright tbh. I remember people jumping on the bandwagon to be offended by his Holocaust joke months after it had gone on Netflix which was pretty wild. 

7 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I think Carr is quite witty when he is hosting generic comedy panel shows, but that 9/11 skit is stinking.

He can be very funny within the restraints of UK broadcast TV, it's when the shackles are off that he flounders. Also he's much better playing off others than doing solo stand up or that cringy American roasting format.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, GHF-23 said:

That's utterly fucking tragic. He seems insanely bitter. I do think people can be too quickly (and determinedly) outraged and censorious about comedy, but playing the victim card in this way (and being cringingly unfunny) is pathetic.

Can't think of many, if any, mainstream comedians that don't turn to utter shite as they get older. 

Even the GOAT, Billy Connolly's stuff substantially dipped towards the latter end of his stand up career.

Can't be long until the tide turns on Carr and he becomes embittered and tries to become ever more the shock jock before he actually starts believing some of his content and becomes just a more modern version of the likes of Jim Davidson or Roy Chubby Brown.

You could make a list of comedians who produced their funniest work under restraint, only to turn to shit when the shackles were thrown off, despite thinking it was the best stuff they ever did. I also get the impression that they all eventually run out of decent material after success hits, as it's a bit harder to find humour in being happy and satisfied with your life, while tales of quinoa mix-ups on film sets and dinner parties with titled nobles tend to be a fair distance from the relatable tales that hit a nerve in the first place.

The funniest thing about Jimmy Carr is the outcry whenever he has a new show on the go, considering for most of his career he's made a point of having a section specifically for pushing the envelope to test what people will laugh at. Everyone seems to forget the previous "scandals" after a year or two goes by and he's back with a bit about the ethics of raping babies when you have a micropenis (you're welcome, Jimmy).