The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So what I'm getting from this thread is that Ayr are definitely going to win the league this season.

Putting my life savings on it now.

Don't let me down lads.

No but they are worth at dabble at 66's or better IMHO.

Partick are 7/2 and they certainly don't have 15 times more chance of winning this league than Ayr do.

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So what I'm getting from this thread is that Ayr are definitely going to win the league this season.

Putting my life savings on it now.

Don't let me down lads.

Going to win all 4 leagues in Scotland and all the cups.  

In defence of some of the postings, we have had to watch some utter rubbish for years now and this group of players do seem like a huge improvement, so I think we could be excused for getting a wee bit overexcited.

The big difference is that we have lots of young and exciting players who all look as if they're enjoying themselves as opposed to just going through the motions and picking up a wage, they all seem to get on and enjoy playing together and undoubtedly they do look like they could be a cut above, however, we haven't even played our first league match and there's no doubt that the early season confidence could evaporate very quickly, but at the same time this team does feel different and there's no doubting the buzz around Somerset and the excitement from the fans which hasn't been there since Glynn Hurst, Andy Walker and Gary Teale were terrorising defences.

As a reality check, staying in this league would be a success but I firmly believe that this team are capable of much, much more, especially if we retain Shankland and keep the majority injury free.

14 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

the buzz around Somerset and the excitement from the fans which hasn't been there since Glynn Hurst, Andy Walker and Gary Teale were terrorising defences.

The good old days where you could get great players from a team like Emley. :-) 

Has anyone heard any more about this new defender that Mccall was keen to bring in?

27 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Going to win all 4 leagues in Scotland and all the cups.  

I don't want a League 2 title Derek, we'll leave that to Morton fans.

6 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I don't want a League 2 title Derek, we'll leave that to Morton fans.

Would be nice to win a league we have never played in without playing in it, that's when yer massive. 

14 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

The good old days where you could get great players from a team like Emley. :-) 

Has anyone heard any more about this new defender that Mccall was keen to bring in?

Yes, although Forest Gump flattered to deceive...............

If it's the boy from Hearts he's supposed to be top notch, listening to all the Saints fans.

5 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Don't know anything about Ayr's financial situation but surely £100K would be too much of a gamble to turn down.

That's not a huge amount of cash.  We could make roughly £100,000 more in prize money than last year by finishing 6th. 

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

it's the boy from Hearts he's supposed to be top notch, listening to all the Saints fans.

Is it happening though? 

That could be the final wee push this Ayr team needs :-) it could be the difference between a 8th place finish (the lowest position I would happily accept) and being further up the league. 

I'm just not used to even noticing when the transfer window closes - our players have generally been so rubbish for the last 10/15 years or so that the deadline has been pretty much irrelevant as nobody would have been remotely interested in paying us any money for them.  Stevo the first time round and Balatoni the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, and even Balatoni had we sold him would hardly have caused much upset amongst the fans. 

6 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Stevo the first time round and Balatoni the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, and even Balatoni had we sold him would hardly have caused much upset amongst the fans.

It was the Craig Conway selling that puzzled me, a few years before Stevo. I still haven't a clue how much Ayr finally got for him. 

Though your right, there hasn't been a player worth investing in at Ayr until Mccall walked in. Yeah, there's been a few that have went on to other teams and got transferred, though this team just now, definitely worth a few boab. 

Just now, Roxanne's man said:

It was the Craig Conway selling that puzzled me, a few years before Stevo. I still haven't a clue how much Ayr finally got for him. 

Though your right, there hasn't been a player worth investing in at Ayr until Mccall walked in. Yeah, there's been a few that have went on to other teams and got transferred, though this team just now, definitely worth a few boab. 

Forgot about Conway.  I lived away when he was a regular so I didnt see much of him - i remember never really rating him at the time, although his career since leaving suggests i was spectacularly wrong in that regard...

This shows a change in the way the club is being run in previous years the speculation would just have been ignored and us fans left in the dark, good positive statement whilst also acknowledging that if a silly money but came in we would need to consider it.

2 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Forgot about Conway.  I lived away when he was a regular so I didnt see much of him - i remember never really rating him at the time, although his career since leaving suggests i was spectacularly wrong in that regard...

Conway left Ayr because of the way he was treated. That’s fact. 

Thank f**k McCall has come out and said that, pleased he has as it would have just rumbled on into the game at the weekend which would have taken the shine off of the game.

Wouldn't relax completely though until the end of the month when the window shuts.

Have to admit i feared the worst when i saw a statement had been released.

Edited by rb123!

Conway signed under freedom of contract as I recall with the fee set by a tribunal.  Don’t think it was ever stated exactly how much we got, but it was clearly a pittance based on comments at the time.  

Hopefully Dundee have just tried their luck and have been scared off by our valuation.