The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Boy at my work has said he’s held talks with Portsmouth. Would be another decent move for him, a big club playing below their natural level. Similar to Sunderland. 
Would happily head down from London to watch him if this is true and he gets game time.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Hope Shankland moves to Sunderland, big club and should work well with Jack Ross, probably one of the best places to go where he's got a chance of succeeding.

Someone on there also mentioned that gregor buchannan has been released from Morton. Would take him and another CB but seemingly going to Falkirk. Looks as if Falkirk are throwing stupid money at championship players.

I doubt we will be throwing stupid money at the likes of Buchanan.  Tidser if you believe the Morton chairman got a crazy offer from us, but I think that's more to save face on their part as Tidser was leaving anyway and they are on a smaller budget than last season. He had a get out clause in the PCA if we went down so it's doubtful if he will join us now. Added to the fact we are in the middle of a takeover bid/s. We may however start splashing the cash if the US consortium gets the nod.

Reckon i'm happy with where we are now as the transfer window officially opens on 1st June.  Got the base of a good solid squad of reliable players signed up.  It's now up to the manager / board to find the 4 or 5 players we need to turn it into a 'good' team.   The optimist in me hopes that Kerr / Bell / Geggan / Moff have had to agree reduced terms as they aren't guaranteed starters and that the £ will be spent on the new faces to come in.  Will be an interesting few weeks but u like what seems to be a majority of our fans on social media i'm looking forward to next season and feel pretty confident that we won't be in a relegation battle.  

So only Moore, Crawford and Adams left to sign on or leave. I reckon we’re in a pretty good place at the minute. We’re close to getting all our squad re-signed minus Higgins and the lads that have been snapped up.

Crawford was supposed to decide this week and I’d think Moore and Adams would be the same so we’ll maybe hear on Monday. After that McCall will know exactly what he’s looking for and can get started.

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

So only Moore, Crawford and Adams left to sign on or leave. I reckon we’re in a pretty good place at the minute. We’re close to getting all our squad re-signed minus Higgins and the lads that have been snapped up.

Crawford was supposed to decide this week and I’d think Moore and Adams would be the same so we’ll maybe hear on Monday. After that McCall will know exactly what he’s looking for and can get started.

I don't think Moore will sign until near the beginning of the season because i think he's going to miss all of pre-season so would be a risk to sign him now and then in time his injury doesn't heal as quickly as expected. Wouldn't be surprised if he just gets an initial six months to prove his fitness like Doc did last year.

I don't think Moore will sign until near the beginning of the season because i think he's going to miss all of pre-season so would be a risk to sign him now and then in time his injury doesn't heal as quickly as expected. Wouldn't be surprised if he just gets an initial six months to prove his fitness like Doc did last year.

Totally agree McCall has a soft spot for Moore and will defo give him one more chance, hope he can find form and stay injury free because there is definitely a player there

45 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Realised I’ve probably been slightly unrealistic with the amount of signings we need.

At a bare minimum we need:

New GK/Doohan- Hare-Reid will be understudy again. Has he re-signed? I know he was close to re-signing a few weeks ago but seen nothing further 

New Starting CB- Ideally I’d want two but with Muirhead, Bell and possibly Adams that’s probably unrealistic. Muirhead will probably be a starter 

New CM/Crawford- Murdoch should be a shoe in to be one of the starters. If Crawford re-signs i’d hope he played beside him. If he goes I’d want another centre mid signed. Charlie Telfer possibly?  Always been impressed with him when I’ve seen Morton. Will know Murdoch also. 

New winger- Forrest has probably got one of the winger positions but we need another. McGuffie isn’t good enough/ready for championship football imo. Nicky Cadden is a possibility but given his loan spell I can’t see him coming back.

New ST- Moffat and McCowan will probably rotate in the playing off a striker position but we need an out and out striker. Doolan has been heavily rumoured. If Moore leaves we’d need two strikers imo. 

I am amazed any other Ayr fans think Moffat shouldn't be a starter. You must be watching a different team to me as Shankland wouldn't have scored nearly as many goals without Moffat.

All of you drooling over Doolan and Boyd are needing a reality check. I wouldnt take either, too much risk imo. Same applies for Moore as well.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

I am amazed any other Ayr fans think Moffat shouldn't be a starter. You must be watching a different team to me as Shankland wouldn't have scored nearly as many goals without Moffat.

All of you drooling over Doolan and Boyd are needing a reality check. I wouldnt take either, too much risk imo. Same applies for Moore as well.

Calm down Michael. We still love you. 

For arguments sake let’s assume Moore, Crawford and Adams all sign up. That gives us 16 first team players with a small group of youngsters like Ecrepont and Hewitt.

I’d say there’s potential there for 5 new signings plus the return of Doohan.

GK - Doohan is the obvious preference.

2x CB - McCall has said we’re close to a young centre back that can hopefully be improved over the coming years. There’s also the report that we’ve made an offer to a Premiership defender.

2x Wingers - 2 might seem excessive but we’ve lost 3 in the summer and this should stop us having to play Crawford out wide. Ideally I’d have Cadden or another loan and maybe a more established Championship player like Andy Stirling.

ST - As FW has said McCowan and Moffat will likely rotate and we’re seemingly close to Doolan. Moore has a point to prove if he re-signs but if he doesn’t we’d potentially need 2 new strikers.

12 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

For arguments sake let’s assume Moore, Crawford and Adams all sign up. That gives us 16 first team players with a small group of youngsters like Ecrepont and Hewitt.

I’d say there’s potential there for 5 new signings plus the return of Doohan.

GK - Doohan is the obvious preference.

2x CB - McCall has said we’re close to a young centre back that can hopefully be improved over the coming years. There’s also the report that we’ve made an offer to a Premiership defender.

2x Wingers - 2 might seem excessive but we’ve lost 3 in the summer and this should stop us having to play Crawford out wide. Ideally I’d have Cadden or another loan and maybe a more established Championship player like Andy Stirling.

ST - As FW has said McCowan and Moffat will likely rotate and we’re seemingly close to Doolan. Moore has a point to prove if he re-signs but if he doesn’t we’d potentially need 2 new strikers.

Think two wingers is a good shout as Forrest can potentially play up front and is an option if some don’t step up. Would also maybe like a centre mid that can play elsewhere too as Murdoch is the only one I trust in there over a season. Hopefully pick up a centre back that can cover a full back position as difficult to tell if strong enough in those positions 

If Geggans fit he plays right mid, gives security for Ferguson. Really need a left footed left mid to keep the balance IMO. If we had that, Forrest in behind a new striker to start the season with Murdoch CM with one of Kerr/Doc/Crawford or new player. 

On Moffat, it was noticed by BT pundits we were tiring after 60 minutes during games towards the end of the season and he was usually the first to get hooked. Can he handle 36-40 games a season playing full 90 or thereabouts? Not for me at this stage of his career. Picking and choosing is where we are and his new contract probably reflects that.

49 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

If Geggans fit he plays right mid, gives security for Ferguson. Really need a left footed left mid to keep the balance IMO. If we had that, Forrest in behind a new striker to start the season with Murdoch CM with one of Kerr/Doc/Crawford or new player. 

On Moffat, it was noticed by BT pundits we were tiring after 60 minutes during games towards the end of the season and he was usually the first to get hooked. Can he handle 36-40 games a season playing full 90 or thereabouts? Not for me at this stage of his career. Picking and choosing is where we are and his new contract probably reflects that.

IIBH, Moffat looked like his legs had gone over the last few months of the season, hopefully he was just burnt out from his earlier exertions and McCowan can take his place more and more as the season goes on.