The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

22 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Another week, no central midfielder then. Honestly fucking laughable. 

Maybe we were going to sign Kelly on loan but now it appears Rangers are having a fire sale. they need him?

I am not in the know by the way, just trying to polish a turd. 

10 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Maybe we were going to sign Kelly on loan but now it appears Rangers are having a fire sale. they need him?

I am not in the know by the way, just trying to polish a turd. 

No polishing I’m afraid, Kelly seemed to do well at Rangers pre season so no chance will he be coming on loan to the championship!

Or would have been. 

Edited by No_Problemo

54 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

No polishing I’m afraid, Kelly seemed to do well at Rangers pre season so no chance will he be coming on loan to the championship!

Or would have been. 

If they had made the Champions league and are serious about retaining the SPFL title, Kelly would be nowhere near their midfield. 
not because he’s not good enough, but they are not going to throw a youngster in to the heart of midfield when every game is must win 

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

If they had made the Champions league and are serious about retaining the SPFL title, Kelly would be nowhere near their midfield. 
not because he’s not good enough, but they are not going to throw a youngster in to the heart of midfield when every game is must win 

Yeah, I didn’t mean that - more just they would be looking top league Scotland, or England for him! 

Just realised there's literally nothing stopping me taking the wee man along tomorrow for his first game other than the fact the first half on Saturday scarred ME so much haha which explains why I hadn't even considered it until now 

22 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I think he's just so stubborn he won't change his approach, can honestly see us pumping long balls for 89 minutes and somehow steal a win and Hopkin proclaiming himself some kind of tactical genius

As I've said before i don't actually mind long balls, last 30 mins or so compared to the 60 before it was night and day on Saturday.  With 2 up front happy to challenge for headers and also run channels when needed plus a couple of wide men who can get crosses in then it could be pretty effective.  The way we started last 2 games though?  Fucking f**k me (for want of a better phrase).   

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Is it to the Caribbean? 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Finding Hopkins’s approach funny, as it is so breathtakingly stupid is how to approach this season IMO. 

Do not care lads, realised Hoppy's Ayr will simply take us to where McCall picked up and accepted it.  St Pauli didn't spend the whole game in their own box against their rivals and won tonight, Ayr can't dampen that. 

On 11/08/2021 at 19:11, D'Jaffo said:

Gavin Reilly is being let go out on loan from Livingston for a few months. Dunno if he’s the type of striker we need but would be a decent signing imo.

2 hours ago, Lochwood said:

Spot on Hursty

I mean, the raw materials are there.  Strikers that can play up as a 2, be physical but also run in the channels - Adeloye, Afolabi, maybe Salkeld and McKenzie.   Wide men that can take a touch, make a wee bit of space and get a ball in - Maxwell and O Connor for sure..   central defenders than can ping a long ball?  Plenty.  McGinty despite not being a particularly good defender does at least seem to have a decent long pass on him.    

What we do miss a centre mid that could help the defenders keep possession until the time is right to go long.  A Mark Kerr / Ross Docherty for example, just doing the wee 1-2's until the other team step out a bit and make that space, but who could also turn and play it to the winger himself.  

Oh, and we also miss a manager actually deciding to play that way rather than the previously mentioned 60 mins v Arbroath with  1 up top getting the ball hoofed over his head. 

That's what I'm trying to convince myself is Hopkin's end game as I could absolutely see it being a success in this league.   Do I think its going to actually happen?  No.  But still, can only hope. 

23 minutes ago, North British said:

Never mind things could be worse , think how the Pars fans feel after watching their expansive passing side tonight .

Aye for all I've slagged Hopkin, Dunfermline going to Ibrox and starting 3 strikers is fucking madness and seems arrogance on the managers part.   Reminds me of when Celtic under Rodgers played PSG and he was all about how they wouldn't change their style / tactics no matter the opponent....pumped 7-0 or something 

9 hours ago, Hursty said:

I mean, the raw materials are there.  Strikers that can play up as a 2, be physical but also run in the channels - Adeloye, Afolabi, maybe Salkeld and McKenzie.   Wide men that can take a touch, make a wee bit of space and get a ball in - Maxwell and O Connor for sure..   central defenders than can ping a long ball?  Plenty.  McGinty despite not being a particularly good defender does at least seem to have a decent long pass on him.    

What we do miss a centre mid that could help the defenders keep possession until the time is right to go long.  A Mark Kerr / Ross Docherty for example, just doing the wee 1-2's until the other team step out a bit and make that space, but who could also turn and play it to the winger himself.  

Oh, and we also miss a manager actually deciding to play that way rather than the previously mentioned 60 mins v Arbroath with  1 up top getting the ball hoofed over his head. 

That's what I'm trying to convince myself is Hopkin's end game as I could absolutely see it being a success in this league.   Do I think its going to actually happen?  No.  But still, can only hope. 

I’ve said it before, but surely the Moff would fit that midfield role?

Knowing us, we'll give Dundee United a game playing swashbuckling attacking football and passing it about nicely. Then back to shelling long balls next week. 🙈

Spoiler

Seriously though, it'll be 10 men behind the ball launching the ball to nobody like the Killie game. 

My expectations are so low. Prove me wrong Hopkin.