The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We expecting any addition before Stirling Albion game next Saturday? With Bullen saying he wants 4 you'd like to think a couple of them could be in this week. I reckon Ethon Archer will be given the EK game before a decision is made on whether to offer him anything. Don't think he'd be coming in as a starter though. 

I’d be shocked if we didn’t have at least two in this week. A right back and a winger - probably the trialist although I’m very skeptical about signing an 18 year old and expecting them to take on what will be a big role this coming season. If we were to give him a three year deal and make him a bit of a project then fair enough but he shouldn’t be counted as one of four signings that we need to make in order to avoid a really tough season. 

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d be shocked if we didn’t have at least two in this week. A right back and a winger - probably the trialist although I’m very skeptical about signing an 18 year old and expecting them to take on what will be a big role this coming season. If we were to give him a three year deal and make him a bit of a project then fair enough but he shouldn’t be counted as one of four signings that we need to make in order to avoid a really tough season.

Tend to agree, our own 18 year old , (Bryden)who is big lad , is still far too young and isnt ready for the rigours of a 36 game programme in the championship ! The lad Archer may well develop into the real thing but it’s not fair to expect him to do it after one good half against Stranraer .

Just now, railwayend said:

Tend to agree, our own 18 year old , (Bryden)who is big lad , is still far too young and isnt ready for the rigours of a 36 game programme in the championship ! The lad Archer may well develop into the real thing but it’s not fair to expect him to do it after one good half against Stranraer .

I thought Bryden had some good touches on Saturday but I agree that he needs time out on loan where he can get the chance to play every week. Even if it’s as low as league two it’s better that than sitting here getting cameos every other game. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I thought Bryden had some good touches on Saturday but I agree that he needs time out on loan where he can get the chance to play every week. Even if it’s as low as league two it’s better that than sitting here getting cameos every other game. 

Stranraer want him it seems .

On another note, how much of a dive has Dam Park turned into. Can see the council have given up on it. Used to be the best pitch in Ayr. Looks like surrounding area is hardly getting cut now. I thought the Rugby Club was meant to be in by now but heard on Saturday the deal with the council still hasn’t been concluded 

2 hours ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

On another note, how much of a dive has Dam Park turned into.

If it isn't a building site that has the potential to make councillors money then they have absolutely no interest in it.

Any parallels that might be drawn from that to anything else being discussed on here are completely unintentional and incidental.

3 hours ago, railwayend said:

Tend to agree, our own 18 year old , (Bryden)who is big lad , is still far too young and isnt ready for the rigours of a 36 game programme in the championship

Spoken like a true acolyte of Scottish football. If you aren't 25, 6 foot 3 and haven't done at least three months in Barlinnie then you're not just not cut out for it

Edited by Thumper

7 hours ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

On another note, how much of a dive has Dam Park turned into. Can see the council have given up on it. Used to be the best pitch in Ayr. Looks like surrounding area is hardly getting cut now. I thought the Rugby Club was meant to be in by now but heard on Saturday the deal with the council still hasn’t been concluded 

Not much point in the council doing too much with it when there is a new athletics facility just along the road. 

It is time the council and the rugby club got a move on though.

5 hours ago, Thumper said:

Spoken like a true acolyte of Scottish football. If you aren't 25, 6 foot 3 and haven't done at least three months in Barlinnie then you're not just not cut out for it

Are you suggesting the boy is ready for a season in the championship ? 

12 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

Aye fair enough likes, I'm no fan of Boab to be absolutely clear.

Back in the season in the 90s we were relegated to the old div 2, me and a bunch of mates helped the club out second half of the season being ball boys because there were none. Absolute dream stuff for me, and I was absolutely buzzing for the next season. Anyway, rocked up first preseason friendly for the following season and we were told at the door we weren't needed anymore. Didn't even let us just come in and watch the game as way of easing the disappointment, that was the Barr era. Although I'm (totally not) over it, it has stuck with me and I'm probably a bit quick to go the other way now thinking a professional football club would be past operating like that. 

That's a total trash way to treat people.  Sorry that happened.  

I think there are a number of stories through different regimes at the club of treating volunteers poorly.  Probably just a consequence of businessmen being involved in football.  

12 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We expecting any addition before Stirling Albion game next Saturday? With Bullen saying he wants 4 you'd like to think a couple of them could be in this week. I reckon Ethon Archer will be given the EK game before a decision is made on whether to offer him anything. Don't think he'd be coming in as a starter though. 

Archer needs to be looked at alongside all the other players who don't quite count as starters. Obviously everybody can't play each week but we seem to have built up bit of a collection. Hopefully we can move a few of these along or even improve so they feature more often  

1 hour ago, railwayend said:

Are you suggesting the boy is ready for a season in the championship ? 

If you don't give people game time you're not going to know. Saying flat-out that an 18-year-old is "far too young" is bollocks and is a perfect example of why Ayr has a cracking academy and a first XI of chancers.

52 minutes ago, Thumper said:

If you don't give people game time you're not going to know. Saying flat-out that an 18-year-old is "far too young" is bollocks and is a perfect example of why Ayr has a cracking academy and a first XI of chancers.

If your good enough and over 16 your old enough , Alan Forrest played for first team at 16 , age did not hold him back , sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and take a gamble 

Have always been very happy that Alan Forrest has gone on to have the career he has so far after leaving Ayr. He came through at one the worst times to be an Ayr supporter and was a rare bright spark in otherwise horrendous seasons for a couple of years.

I think Bryden has potential but it does take an exceptional talent to carry a forward line at his age and with his experience.

Could he score goals in the Championship this season? Yes. Long term, would he benefit from regular football in L1 or L2? Absolutely. 

Alan Forrest looked ready the minute he appeared for the first team, Bryden still looks miles off it technically and isn’t ready. 

It has nothing to do with age, and everything to do with quality. If we gambled on Bryden getting regular game time once Dipo leaves we would be utterly fucked. 

Edited by No_Problemo

26 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Alan Forrest looked ready the minute he appeared for the first team, Bryden still looks miles off it technically and isn’t ready. 

It has nothing to do with age, and everything to do with quality. If we gambled on Bryden getting regular game time once Dipo leaves we would be utterly fucked. 

Or maybe he would rise to the challenge and with the responsibility?