The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

49 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye I thought at the time it was a shrewd signing as he’ll do absolutely fine for them in this league. I’d take him just for the fact he can play at right back and in midfield. Obileye was another one I saw they’ve released that I’d take. 

Yeah, I would take Carson all day. 

I can’t remember enough about Obileye tbh, but I’m sure he was decent in the top league last season?

23 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah, I would take Carson all day. 

I can’t remember enough about Obileye tbh, but I’m sure he was decent in the top league last season?

No idea how he got on this seaosn tbh but always liked him at QOS. 

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

The game where our run at the 1st Division following the 87/88 2nd Division title win came to a grinding halt. 2-0 up and coasting until a season ending injury to Cally let Dunfermline back into it and we never really challenged again.

Great crowds in those days on the back of one of Ayr’s most entertaining ever teams. Templeton was a delight to watch - what a pass for Sludden’s goal. Joe Love and Brian Ross didn’t really improve the previous year’s team - remember Ross getting hooked after about 20 minutes against someone. Dunfermline were an annoying team full of wanks like Bobby Smith John Watson and Ross Jack - half the team were called Smith from memory.

My 1st Ayr game was around this time. I recall Ayr beating Killie 2-1 at Rugby Park. Which I would've guessed was probably the 87/88 season. Looking back at results, seems it was maybe the season before that. 

2 minutes ago, Doob76 said:

My 1st Ayr game was around this time. I recall Ayr beating Killie 2-1 at Rugby Park. Which I would've guessed was probably the 87/88 season. Looking back at results, seems it was maybe the season before that. 

Beat them 2-1 in the League Cup at Rugby Park at the beginning of 86/87. John Sludden and Craig Buchanan were the scorers, I think.

3 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Really hope it’s not k*llie or any of the OF, we don’t need that.

Unfortunately unless it’s either of the Edinburgh teams there’s no other teams other than those 3 which punters would turn out for.

8 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Beat them 2-1 in the League Cup at Rugby Park at the beginning of 86/87. John Sludden and Craig Buchanan were the scorers, I think.

I think that must've been the one. According to this post, it was 2022 till we got that result there again! Screenshot_20240520_212353_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.498fa85689cd3e0e6f8ba609edfffca0.jpg

1 minute ago, Doob76 said:

I think that must've been the one. According to this post, it was 2022 till we got that result there again! Screenshot_20240520_212353_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.498fa85689cd3e0e6f8ba609edfffca0.jpg

I was both the 1986 games. For the New Year game, I went with my dad and we gave a lift to two Killie supporting uncles. After the match I sat in the car feeling very smug.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Sounds like a couple of glamour friendlies

Makes sense if they're good money spinners

Atletico Madrid

Inter Milan

Borussia Dortmund

Edited by Richey Edwards

5 minutes ago, RedEd said:

I was both the 1986 games. For the New Year game, I went with my dad and we gave a lift to two Killie supporting uncles. After the match I sat in the car feeling very smug.

😆

I probably remember the antics of the crowd more than the football. There was a bit of an edge to it. Had'nt been to game with that kind of atmosphere before. Spent most of the game near the fence, enjoying winding up the Killie fans. But tbh shat it, when we had to make our way through the Killie fans to get to our bus at the end. Survived to tell the tale of course! 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Are we really classing either as glamour? 

I'd class both as slumming it tbh.

The only reason I'd want to play Killie in preseason is if the Ayrshire Cup was brought back.

Edited by Richey Edwards

The League Cup groups have killed off the concept of getting a decent team up to Scotland for a preseason friendly these days.

They are guaranteed income so unlikely to change anytime soon.

Shame if you are left playing a Celtic and DKB XI to open the new stand.

34 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

The League Cup groups have killed off the concept of getting a decent team up to Scotland for a preseason friendly these days.

They are guaranteed income so unlikely to change anytime soon.

Shame if you are left playing a Celtic and DKB XI to open the new stand.

Cellic 5th july

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Are we really classing either as glamour? 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

I'd class both as slumming it tbh.

The only reason I'd want to play Killie in preseason is if the Ayrshire Cup was brought back.

Will be money spinners

Circa 5,000 plus crowd for each plus sold out hospitality for both i'd imagine at a rather large sum i'm guessing.

Will help claw back loss of earnings from last season etc along with putting more money back in the pot, whether that goes to the squad or to completing the two ends of the stand who knows.