The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think we’ll loan either of those players out. Syla will likely leave once we sign another midfielder. Not sure if we’ll do anything more after that. 

We need a 3rd striker to come in to step up for when we're missing Dowds or Oakley.

Bryden isn't the answer IMO

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I can see Saturday being like last seasons game v Alloa. We will go goal crazy. Bookmark this 😆

I thought Amartey was going to be the business after that game….

Just now, Nelson said:

We probably need a 3rd striker in all honesty.  Money doesn’t grow on trees I suppose, but McKenzie and Bryden scored about 3 league goals between them last season, so neither is a viable option, particularly if Dowds or Oakley get injured.  Actually quite like the look of McRoberts, but early days for him I suppose.  Bryden needs to go out on loan, for his sake and ours.

I think we can start looking at McKenzie more as an attacking midfielder rather than striker. He’ll fill in all over the more advanced midfield positions when there’s injuries or suspensions but I don’t see him being used much in rotation with Dowds or Oakley. 

Bryden is what he is. He contributes very little in the build up but I don’t mind the work he does in getting into good positions in the box. If that’s all he’s bringing to the table then he needs to be more clinical. He’s young enough to improve but it’s all down to getting consistent game time which Brown is giving him in fairness. McRoberts is one that I’d loan out now and I’m surprised we haven’t (unless we are looking at another forward and we’re holding him back until that happens). He’s one that I’d be saying to East Stirling about if possible. 

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think we can start looking at McKenzie more as an attacking midfielder rather than striker. He’ll fill in all over the more advanced midfield positions when there’s injuries or suspensions but I don’t see him being used much in rotation with Dowds or Oakley. 

Bryden is what he is. He contributes very little in the build up but I don’t mind the work he does in getting into good positions in the box. If that’s all he’s bringing to the table then he needs to be more clinical. He’s young enough to improve but it’s all down to getting consistent game time which Brown is giving him in fairness. McRoberts is one that I’d loan out now and I’m surprised we haven’t (unless we are looking at another forward and we’re holding him back until that happens). He’s one that I’d be saying to East Stirling about if possible. 

Mcroberts looks more lively and dangerous than Bryden imo 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Don’t see it if I’m honest.  McKenzie doesn’t score or provide assists, no matter where he plays, so he’s never going to cut it as an attacking midfielder.  He certainly offered no threat at all tonight against a pretty woeful Stenhousemuir side.  Can only hope we’ve options still coming, particularly when the loan market opens up.  

Decent win, all four goals were almost exactly the same. 

Bit of a mixed line-up but good to see a bit of rotation. I can see us maybe starting Walker, Syla and Maybe Murdoch, Possibly McCann dropping as well for a rest. Everyone knew what they were supposed to be doing. 

We dominated the game but didn't create too many clear cut chances, Dowds seemed to be channelling Frazer Bryden with some of his first touches. Hastie seems to be functional rather than spectacular. 

Brown said that the squad will be important this year, so it seems odd that Murdoch, McGeady, Walker and Devlin have been largely missing. Murdoch, Devlin and McGeady need games, Walker needs to get to grips with Scottish football. 

So if we can get a win by three goals then we will finish at worst second.

The three best runners up qualify. A glance at the other tables:-

- Airdrie a stick on to get through if they beat QotS.

- QP two goals better off than us and face Kelty at home (wherever that is).

- Ourselves, Clyde (home to Montrose), Raith (home to Hamilton) probably battling it out for the last spot.

2 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Mcroberts looks more lively and dangerous than Bryden imo 

Which is why I’d be loaning him out. Don’t let his career stagnate like we did with Bryden. 

Just now, Nelson said:

Don’t see it if I’m honest.  McKenzie doesn’t score or provide assists, no matter where he plays, so he’s never going to cut it as an attacking midfielder.  He certainly offered no threat at all tonight against a pretty woeful Stenhousemuir side.  Can only hope we’ve options still coming, particularly when the loan market opens up.  

He’s never going to offer exactly what Rus does but no one else is. Brown clearly rates him which is good enough for me right now. I don’t foresee him being a starter every week unless we’ve got injuries. 

Buckie are no mugs. They are not the greatest at the back but they carry a threat going forward. I watched their game tonight and the score flattered DU. 

Edited by BPM

21 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

We need a 3rd striker to come in to step up for when we're missing Dowds or Oakley.

We really do . Also it’s going to be difficult to get a striker who’s happy coming off the bench for 15 to 30 mins ! I can only think of Tomi Adeloye for that job , but I can’t see him being a choice of Brown’s ! Which is a pity … 

I think McKenzie's biggest asset is also the reason why he may struggle to kick on anywhere else. He doesn't do many things that get headlines or stand out but his willingness to work and do the unseen jobs to help others is great.

Rus's goal on Saturday was a prime example, just a little bit of blocking to open up the space for Rus to get his shot off.  

6 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Brown said that the squad will be important this year, so it seems odd that Murdoch, McGeady, Walker and Devlin have been largely missing. Murdoch, Devlin and McGeady need games, Walker needs to get to grips with Scottish football. 

I can’t see Murdoch or McGeadie playing for Ayr again .

1 minute ago, super_carson said:

I think McKenzie's biggest asset is also the reason why he may struggle to kick on anywhere else. He doesn't do many things that get headlines or stand out but his willingness to work and do the unseen jobs to help others is great.

I mentioned it earlier but didn't have the numbers to hand - from what I can see on soccerbase he's now at 158 competitive appearances for Ayr under 7 different managers, never below the Championship (debut down at Wrexham in the cup).   Pretty impressive for a 23 year old who a hell of a lot of online experts will tell you isn't even good enough for the juniors.  

3 minutes ago, Hursty said:

mentioned it earlier but didn't have the numbers to hand - from what I can see on soccerbase he's now at 158 competitive appearances for Ayr under 7 different managers, never below the Championship (debut down at Wrexham in the cup).   Pretty impressive for a 23 year old who a hell of a lot of online experts will tell you isn't even good enough for the juniors. 

Pretty impressive stats to be fair . 

5 minutes ago, Hursty said:

I mentioned it earlier but didn't have the numbers to hand - from what I can see on soccerbase he's now at 158 competitive appearances for Ayr under 7 different managers, never below the Championship (debut down at Wrexham in the cup).   Pretty impressive for a 23 year old who a hell of a lot of online experts will tell you isn't even good enough for the juniors.  

Screenshot_20240723_224332_Chrome.jpg