The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

16 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

Believe the team had a game today and ran out 5-1 winners against a team of free agents from around the UK , from what I was told a couple of the free agents looked pretty decent , maybe someone who can fill the gaps required 

The fact the free agents team only scored 1 against us is probably reason enough not to sign any of them. Cant believe that in early October we're still scrambling around trying to finally get a settled squad.

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

My concern would be, we need defensive midfielders and the free team conceded 5 goals against our midfield made up of defenders. 

I hope there were at least one that was any good and we don’t end up signing another 3 full backs 

Apart from the Thistle game (where we had lots of excuses), I've thought we've looked pretty solid in the games against Dunfermline, Hamilton and Morton. 

As long as we have our wide players / pacy players back such as Bradley and O'Connor then I think Muirhead, Maxwell and Murdoch are decent enough in the middle of the park and would allow us to revert to the 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 formation which has made us look much better in recent weeks.

The problem remains that we're short of pace when taking O'Connor and Bradley out and we definitely don't have the creativity or quality in the middle of the park to play through teams like we could a couple of seasons back and it's highly doubtful that a stop gap free agent at this stage of the season is likely to provide that.

Saturday was probably a watershed moment for me where the harsh reality has hit home that we've lots of guys who just aren't up to it.

Chalmers whether through lack of ability, system or workrate just isn't cutting it and doesn't look anywhere near good enough, Moffat although having little to no support looks finished in the sort of formation that we played and at times looked completely lost which was pretty sad, Muirhead was shown up as not good enough to be playing in Central Mid and the others all struggled to rate better than a 3 or 4 out of 10 in my book plus our central defence were totally horrendous.

I've obviously contradicted myself in the space of a couple of paragraphs, however I think it shows how players can go from one end of the spectrum to the other based on the formations and role that they're being asked to play and it's obviously up to the manager / coaches to work that out and play to their strengths.

I do still believe that Moff has something to offer but needs to be played much closer to Adeloye and have link up players / options around him such as Bradley and O'Connor with Maxwell pushing up infield and the likes of Reading supporting wide, however if we're punting long balls to Adeloye and hoping Moff will pick up a second ball etc then we're on to plums i'm afraid and as for Chalmers I really can't think of any formation that would see us get anything out of him based on what I've seen....

34 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I've thought we've looked pretty solid in the games against Dunfermline, Hamilton and Morton. 

3 of the worst teams / biggest underachievers in the league. The 3 teams below us incidentally, our limitations have been shown and exposed against the rest pretty much. Even you would concede that mate.

We are where we are, potentially another write off of a season.

3 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Robbo you tease, did you not say ticket information for the Killie game would be announced this week? Get on the case about it 😂

Latest I have is ( to be 100% confirmed)but believe this is the news

Wed and Thu

season ticket holders will have opportunity to buy tickets ( not sure how many) for friends and family both online and instore ( total tickets have put in a fix to ensure only season ticket holders will get the link , instore you need to show season ticket )

Friday

Tickets on general sale 

Saturday

Due to being busy selling QOS match tickets Kilmarnock tickets can only be sold to 1pm as then the system needs to be switched to on the day tickets 

Monday 

Tickets will again be on general until either sold out or up to kick off which ever comes first 

Official announcement should be very soon 

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

The fact the free agents team only scored 1 against us is probably reason enough not to sign any of them. Cant believe that in early October we're still scrambling around trying to finally get a settled squad.

I was informed that they had a very good midfielder and a striker when he got the ball was again very decent, they had a very poor defence 

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

3 of the worst teams / biggest underachievers in the league. The 3 teams below us incidentally, our limitations have been shown and exposed against the rest pretty much. Even you would concede that mate.

We are where we are, potentially another write off of a season.

Using that logic, that would be pretty much every season in the last 40 years !!

The sad thing is that apart from 2 seasons under Barr and the one and a half recently, then every other "success" was due to us falling to the 3rd tier and rebuilding to get back to where we are now.

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Using that logic, that would be pretty much every season in the last 40 years !!

The sad thing is that apart from 2 seasons under Barr and the one and a half recently, then every other "success" was due to us falling to the 3rd tier and rebuilding to get back to where we are now.

Probably harsh but true. We're still really to cement a stay in the Championship and for it to feel that it's going to last more longer term than season to season as it has post McCall. 

Poor choices in the dugout and poor to average recruitment ultimately means we've got a fair bit to go yet to finally feel like an established Championship team. 

Only when we are established do I feel we'll give ourselves the best shot of looking to take further steps of progression. 

We've got long term plans coming from the boardroom which is fantastic in itself but with an apparent lack of short or medium term planning running alongside it. 

It feels like we're treading water a bit. 

3 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

I was informed that they had a very good midfielder and a striker when he got the ball was again very decent, they had a very poor defence 

I think at this stage, Ayr should sign both without question. The midfield is non existent and Adeloye could do with a strike partner.

Moff does the trick in small doses, but I don't see Afolabi taking off any time soon. 

Would love to know the names of the trial players, as the Free Agents Scotland website looks quite a depressing read.

18 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Poor choices in the dugout and poor to average recruitment ultimately means we've got a fair bit to go yet to finally feel like an established Championship team. 

100% Agree. There can be no better Scapegoat than Hopkin for everything on the pitch. I'm personally hoping that things pick up under Duffy, who, other than Saturday there, has shown he's got a jist of what he's doing. He's obviously looking at free agents, otherwise the trialist game wouldn't have happened 😐

Maybe knows that he has no other options with the squad Hopkin left him.

Fingers crossed that they're as decent as you say @Finlay21 😊 As your rarely wrong and decent players are definitely needed at Ayr. Hope something comes of it.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I see Grant Gillespie scored a pen v our Ayrshire neighbours earlier. What flashbacks when I saw his name appear. One of our worst players in recent years  😩

Ooooooh! 🤔😁 

Sh*te players in recent years?

Calvin Miller, Frank Ross, Gary Harkins, Jack Ruddy, Jamie Thomas, Paul Cairney etc.

Could also throw in Kevin Nisbet and Scott McKenna, as there is no way you could see them playing for Scotland whilst they were appearing at Somerset. 😐 Though that's maybe down to who was around them at the time, pitch size or whatever 🤔

All of the above characters pale in comparison to the f*cking Trainwreck heap of Sh*t F*nny b*ws defending that we get from Sean McGinty. I actually can't think of of a worse player in recent years 😐 Grant Gillespie looks like Messi in comparison.

Edited by Roxanne's man

6 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

Ooooooh! 🤔😁 

Calvin Miller, Frank Ross, Gary Harkins, Jack Ruddy, Jamie Thomas, Paul Cairney etc.

Could also throw in Kevin Nisbet and Scott McKenna, as there is no way you could see them playing for Scotland whilst they were appearing at Somerset. 😐 Though that's maybe down to who was around them at the time, pitch size or whatever 🤔

All of the above characters pale in comparison to the f*cking Trainwreck heap of Sh*t F*nny b*ws defending that we get from Sean McGinty. I actually can't think of of a worse player in recent years 😐 Grant Gillespie looks like Messi in comparison.

I present to you his defensive partner, Jack Baird. 

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I present to you his defensive partner, Jack Baird. 

Jack Baird has been poor there is no doubt about that but he’s no where near the levels of Sean McGinty. Markus Fjortoft shouldn’t escape from criticism either.

It really is mental how big a rebuilding job Duffy/The new manager is going to have in the summer. 

11 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I see Grant Gillespie scored a pen v our Ayrshire neighbours earlier. What flashbacks when I saw his name appear. One of our worst players in recent years  😩

Seen milk turn quicker than him. Never made a forward pass with us. Shite

6 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Seen milk turn quicker than him. Never made a forward pass with us. Shite

Not quite true. He played a defence splitting pass from which Aaron Drinan scored against St Johnstone. Don't remember him doing much else though.

11 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

Ooooooh! 🤔😁 

I thought Nisbets attitude would stop him but someone seems to have sorted him out. Always rated McKenna although he had too many rash moments costing us goals. Age was on his side though and don't expect as much from young players on loan as our older ones. Cairney was a really good footballer but didn't have the fitness to play at a decent level. Many of the Kerr and Hopkin additions will top the shite list for a long while although some of Kerrs team will do well elsewhere

Edited by AyrExile

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Jack Baird has been poor there is no doubt about that but he’s no where near the levels of Sean McGinty. Markus Fjortoft shouldn’t escape from criticism either.

It really is mental how big a rebuilding job Duffy/The new manager is going to have in the summer. 

60% of the squad changes most years for most teams at this level. Half of the others re-sign after their contract expires. Everyone is in a constant state of rebuilding.