The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

That's just bollocks, mate.

He's not a great player by any stretch but he works extremely hard for the team and can follow instructions in terms of the manager's game-plan.

I don't like the idea of starting him and Bryden but let's not go over the top in ripping our young players.

Here we go protect one of our own Mckenzie is terrible, he is 22 now, he is at best league 1 player and that is been kind.Cant fault his enthusiasm,but ive said before he gets a easy ride because he's one off our own,the boy has no ability at this level,but its okay just keep banging in the couple of goals a season and we will be fine.

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

We know he won’t score many because of the way he and the club play, so you play him with someone who will and play to his strengths. 

Yup he’s a good partner to someone who can get into position to score. Not sure if Rose if that guy but he was given a tough gig today coming on in that game.

Fully agree with you on McGeady. He held the ball on the edge of the box until Reading caught up and released the ball just at the right time. Don’t think he’ll score many but he’ll be good to watch at times. In a really shite game he was the one bit of quality. Reading was also good and even won a big back post header. 

25 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Rose was instantly a huge improvement - I’m not sure what could be seen to say Rose wasn’t match fit. 

Bryden was non existent too. Neither should be starting next week. 

Not sure what condition Rose turned up in but still looks like he's got a bit to go before starting a match. There were a few times he was slow changing direction and chasing shadows trying to close possession down. Don't get me wrong i thought he played well, made a difference and has a good physical presence. He was also able to read the game far better than Bryden and could make the ball stick. Looks like he could be a player but nowhere near his fitness yet. I wonder if he was injured as not sure why he's behind the rest of lower league english players  

Aye as one of Reading's biggest critics for a while I have to give him credit for his decent start the season. I'd still really want another LB in if possible but he's doesn't look as uncomfortable. 

Our problems today were in the midfield. No creativity, no urgency. Don't blame us for ending up going long, I don't trust the midfield to build effectively. We need another, better striker also. I'd keep McKenzie and loan out Bryden.

Edited by AuAl

I hate slagging players that put in a power of work for the badge but there’s no defending McKenzie I’m afraid. If that’s the standard we’re calling good enough then I’d hate to see what constitutes a shite player.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’re nowhere near the end of the road with him. He is absolutely fine at this level and was fine today. 

You need players like McKenzie in your squad. 

He is completely ineffective.  I’ve rarely seen him be anything other than ineffective.  A striker who never scores, never gets any assists, doesn’t hold up the ball and doesn’t link the play in any way is of no use to us.  People who defend him never seem to able to articulate what he actually does well, other than something about work rate/attitude/being well liked within the club.  

7 minutes ago, Ayrutd1910 said:

Here we go protect one of our own Mckenzie is terrible, he is 22 now, he is at best league 1 player and that is been kind.Cant fault his enthusiasm,but ive said before he gets a easy ride because he's one off our own,the boy has no ability at this level,but its okay just keep banging in the couple of goals a season and we will be fine.

We very regularly play McKenzie in a way that just doesn't suit his style of play. 

If properly deployed in the right set up McKenzie is fine for this level. He's not a starter every week type player but he's effective if used properly.

Edited by AuAl

Just home. Pleasantly surprised to win that given the starting 11. I was fuming as well as it took my 2 hours to get from Larbert to Ayr, I had forgotten the cycling was still on and that the blue arse cheek was playing today.

Staying positive as that was my new season resolution:

Smith is a baller, not sure he missed a pass all game.

I quite like the look of Stanger.

Reading hasn't been as bad as last season. There might be a defender in there.

What happened to Murphy?

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

He is completely ineffective.  I’ve rarely seen him be anything other than ineffective.  A striker who never scores, never gets any assists, doesn’t hold up the ball and doesn’t link the play in any way is of no use to us.  People who defend him never seem to able to articulate what he actually does well, other than something about work rate/attitude/being well liked within the club.  

Nonsense

Plenty of examples of him being used as a forward who links the play last season and he was at his best when we had Chalmers, Dipo and Mullin. He was a total battering ram and created loads of space for the technically better players to do their thing. 

He’ll get you five or six goals over a season which is fine at this level considering he isn’t the main striker. 

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Just home. Pleasantly surprised to win that given the starting 11. I was fuming as well as it took my 2 hours to get from Larbert to Ayr, I had forgotten the cycling was still on and that the blue arse cheek was playing today.

Staying positive as that was my new season resolution:

Smith is a baller, not sure he missed a pass all game.

I quite like the look of Stanger.

Reading hasn't been as bad as last season. There might be a defender in there.

What happened to Murphy?

Murphy out for 4-6 weeks

21 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

That's just bollocks, mate.

He's not a great player by any stretch but he works extremely hard for the team and can follow instructions in terms of the manager's game-plan.

I don't like the idea of starting him and Bryden but let's not go over the top in ripping our young players.

Working hard and following instructions isn’t good enough when you are a striker that doesn’t score goals.

18 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Thought Reading played well for the most part, Stanger was excellent. Thought McCallister had a poor first half and put us under pressure a lot.

Smith had a good game, Ashford was off for the first half hour before almost disappearing. 
Bryden won a lot of high balls and McKenzie chased a lot of stuff down but nether did particularly well or looked like scoring.

Rose doesn’t look a mobile forward, don’t think he faced the Inverness goal the whole time he was on the park. He did a lot of the work McKenzie does, put the defence under pressure and won a few headers. Still don’t really know what kind of forward he is yet so it’s hard to judge him yet.

McGeady is an old school left winger who is 37. The amount of folk screaming at him to get involved or do something was getting on my tits. I am not sure what they are expecting from him. On the occasions he was given the ball at his feet and asked to take a man on, he was superb. The 4 on 1 at the edge of the 18 yard box was outstanding and the kind of thing the club should be clipping and sharing online. 
Had the makings of a miserable afternoon but the early goal settled things a bit and Morton’s walk to the title took a stumble as well. 

Excellent post and hits the nail firmly on the head.

9 minutes ago, AuAl said:

We very regularly play McKenzie in a way that just doesn't suit his style of play. 

If properly deployed in the right set up McKenzie is fine for this level. He's not a starter every week type player but he's effective if used properly.

With the amount of games he’s played for ayr at least one game had to be played to “his style of play” 

Just now, Jack_1910 said:

With the amount of games he’s played for ayr at least one game had to be played to “his style of play” 

You’d honestly think we’re talking about an 18/19 year old who’s only just broken into the first team rather than a 23 year old who’s played over 100 first team games.   I’m genuinely fascinated to know what style of play is thought to suit him - other than having significantly better players around him who actually carry a goal threat.  

41 minutes ago, Jack_1910 said:

If I to pick one it’d be bryden. No clue why bullen took him off it was clear to see once he went of we went back to the classic hoofball 

I literally have no idea what you are talking about, it was hoofball most of the time Bryden was on the pitch. 

It’s weird all the stick McKenzie gets, while Bryden offers arguably less and gets very little as he is one of our own or some pish. Neither should be starting, but McKenzie is ahead of Bryden at the moment as he has the ability to challenge physically and link things occasionally. Bryden is of course very young but needs huge work on his link up play - he still needs to go on loan. 

23 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Not sure what condition Rose turned up in but still looks like he's got a bit to go before starting a match. There were a few times he was slow changing direction and chasing shadows trying to close possession down. Don't get me wrong i thought he played well, made a difference and has a good physical presence. He was also able to read the game far better than Bryden and could make the ball stick. Looks like he could be a player but nowhere near his fitness yet. I wonder if he was injured as not sure why he's behind the rest of lower league english players  

Rose has to start going forward, I can’t see any other option. Anyone is going to be chasing shadows closing down an entire back four by themselves! We were ridiculously deep. 

3 minutes ago, United1973 said:

All joking aside going by that terrible performance today how many player do you think we need to bring in 

Personally I think we need another winger (hopefully Chalmers), a striker, and maybe another midfielder. If we can do that then there's no reason why the squad shouldn't at least be competitive in this league.

Let's be honest, none of us want to see McAllister, McKenzie, Bryden and Ashford start a game, however at the moment needs must and the biggest compliment that can be paid to them is that they all worked tirelessly and we walked away with the 3 points.

A further positive was the performances of Smith, Stanger and Amartey who all look like they have a big part to play and I was also very impressed with McGeady when he came on.

I for one am looking forward to seeing a fully fit Rose, McGeady, Murphy and Amartey playing together as I reckon that will be a very potent threat to all at this level.

Yes, the game was terrible and Yes, Inverness were atrocious, however ultimately we fought our way to 3 points so now we just need to get a couple of quality starters in, Murphy back and Rose and McGeady fit and we might actually be ok.....

1 minute ago, GuyIncognito said:

Personally I think we need another winger (hopefully Chalmers), a striker, and maybe another midfielder. If we can do that then there's no reason why the squad shouldn't at least be competitive in this league.

Not think the full backs are poor?