The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

20 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Assuming Bullen makes it to the Partick game, how close are we to the we are in free fall cliché of "The lads have been buzzing in training all week"?

He'll not go before the Thistle game, he's got 10 days to train with the new guys, time to arrange 1 or 2 bounce games to drill them in. He has absolutely no excuses for not being ready for that game. 

Once again, the person who actually runs the football club is Graham Mathie. He is not the commercial manager or the director of football or the tea lady. The whole reason Smith brought him in was to offload tasks like this. It is Mathie whose job it will be to fix management and recruitment. Removing Mathie himself is an entirely different kettle of fish, and doing it at what is basically the first instance of things needing changing would be wildly unprofessional from a business perspective.

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He'll not go before the Thistle game, he's got 10 days to train with the new guys, time to arrange 1 or 2 bounce games to drill them in. He has absolutely no excuses for not being ready for that game. 

The problem is that he's going to lose that game, quite badly, to loud chants for his head. I cannot fathom a situation in which a manager whose only two modes are "do exactly what we did last week" or "wildly gamble with substitutions" is going to get the better of a team with a much more analytical manager and lots and lots of substantially better players. I know that people rarely jump before they're pushed but he's two inches from the end of the gang plank already.

Edited by Thumper

7 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Once again, the person who actually runs the football club is Graham Mathie. He is not the commercial manager or the director of football or the tea lady. The whole reason Smith brought him in was to offload tasks like this. It is Mathie whose job it will be to fix management and recruitment. Removing Mathie himself is an entirely different kettle of fish, and doing it at what is basically the first instance of things needing changing would be wildly unprofessional from a business perspective.

The problem is that he's going to lose that game, quite badly, to loud chants for his head. I cannot fathom a situation in which a manager whose only two modes are "do exactly what we did last week" or "wildly gamble with substitutions" is going to get the better of a team with a much more analytical manager and lots and lots of substantially better players. I know that people rarely jump before they're pushed but he's two inches from the end of the gang plank already.

Falkirk had our number before a ball was kicked, the whole first half was concentrated on our right back area. They cut out any plays from out wide knowing Rose isn't running or looking for space, they shut the defenders down forcing us to go long. 

The fact we are so easy beat and so easy to work out should be a massive red flag.

Taking Bullen at face value, he has another 10 days to put it right. If we lose then he has no hiding pace

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

The fact we are so easy beat and so easy to work out should be a massive red flag.

Coming up on a year since this became common knowledge.

Ten days for Ayr to prepare is also ten days for Partick to prepare. And any opponent who spends ten minutes watching highlight reels has learned absolutely everything there is to know about Ayr United.

4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Coming up on a year since this became common knowledge.

Ten days for Ayr to prepare is also ten days for Partick to prepare. And any opponent who spends ten minutes watching highlight reels has learned absolutely everything there is to know about Ayr United.

10 days for Mathie to start making phone calls

7 hours ago, diege said:

Buky, he was certainly part of it, a rotten full back, miles away from who he was suppose to be marking giving them space to eploit the wings, he looked lost at times moving more into the middle of the park, and with the ball at his feet, it felt like he was playing for Falkirk at times.

Along with McGeady hiding and Rose being isolated which isnt really his fault, what have I missed?

Only shining light I've seen this season is Stanger

Of course he was part of it, but when you're playing full back in the style we want to play you need options to pass to and progress the ball.

That means teammates making the correct angles when you've got the ball, dare I say it, like our opponents last night did.

At home, we had no attacking threat, zero shots on target and an opposition keeper who had nothing to do.

Over last night's 90 minutes, the defence is the least of our worries.

8 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Of course he was part of it, but when you're playing full back in the style we want to play you need options to pass to and progress the ball.

That means teammates making the correct angles when you've got the ball, dare I say it, like our opponents last night did.

At home, we had no attacking threat, zero shots on target and an opposition keeper who had nothing to do.

Over last night's 90 minutes, the defence is the least of our worries.

I know we have real issues up front but jeez a good championship side would’ve taken 5 off that defence. Both full backs not good enough and shouldn’t start again. Mutch didn’t exactly generate confidence either. 

14 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I know we have real issues up front but jeez a good championship side would’ve taken 5 off that defence. Both full backs not good enough and shouldn’t start again. Mutch didn’t exactly generate confidence either. 

Welcome to our world neebur. We create plenty chances, but struggle to put the baw in the net. 

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

You don't get "good" Championship teams, you get above average teams but Im struggling to think of many over the time we've been in the league that could be described as good.

Let's be honest the overall standard by and large in the Championship is no more than alright. 

I thought Mutch was ok, I think you're a bit harsh in that he had one good save in the second half but can't remember him being overworked either.

The bottom line for me is that if you don't score goals you aren't winning games and that's where I think most of our focus should be on at the moment.

How to get Rose turned and running at the opposition goal, rather than playing back to goal, getting the ball into the final third for Chalmers and McGeady to play from. Having them around the halfway line is a waste of what they're good at. Getting the best out of Amartey's pace in wide areas.

All things that the coaching team have to work out.