The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Last home game I attended that we won wasn't even at Somerset.

Same haha, was away for the Inverness game.  We have only won 3 league home matches this calendar year out of 13 games, 14 if you include the play off semi final home match.  Really is pathetic.  Mathie really needs to realise the only "journey" we are on is towards League One.

2 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Yeah i don't get this chat around change if a defeat happens at the weekend. Short memories as we were in this position earlier in the season, it then got worse but no action was taken. As others have said before unless we get cut adrift at the bottom i wouldn't expect a tough decision to be made. Looking at the way the league is panning out it might be a few weeks before that were to happen. It's a year of transition off the park and it suits the board fine to have Bullen as long as we stay in the league. Other options include sourcing some players in January to make sure that happens

If we’re cut adrift, it’s already too late.  

Morton now getting their act together, Inverness moving up the league after binning a failing manager, Arbroath new manager in so need to see how they do and QP binned their failing manager so can't see them getting any worse.  Then there is us.  

Edited by callum-ayr

25 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

It is already too late. Ian Murray has stolen Bullen's mojo.

I’m not as apathetic as some seem to be.  I don’t want to get relegated, and I think it can still be avoided.  But things aren’t working and it seems increasingly clear that Bullen’s contract won’t be renewed at the end of the season, whether that’s his decision or ours.  That being the case, if we don’t win on Saturday then a decision needs to be made.  Limping on toward relegation with a manager that isn’t staying anyway is just pointless.

When you look at the teams round about us, Morton have no cash, a paper thin squad and had an injury crisis

Arbroath are part time and Dick Campbell had been there too long, Inverness have no money and Dodds was failing to get the most out of what he has. 

Then you get to Queens Park and Ayr, two teams with a modern approach to training, recruitment and player welfare. With head coaches making poor choices.
Queens Park binned their manager because he was poor, with no history like Bullen last year, it looked like he was out his depth with no intention of changing.

Bullen has tried to change the style of play, actually playing wide players rather than signing 4 and having them on the bench. All in a bid to not play honking football. As a result, we are shipping goals left, right and centre. At least half the players brought in to replace last years failures have shown they aren’t good enough. 
In recent weeks, his mid-game substitutions have been bizarre and there looks a real lack of confidence in the team. It feels like he has run out of luck and ideas. 
We kind of coasted it for a few weeks with a mixed bag of results but we are just losing now and expecting to lose. It’s got so bad that the regular fan club hasn’t been out in force on twitter. 
The whole club really needs a win on Saturday. 

1 minute ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

No. In an ideal world we'd play it on Boxing Day. No idea why we no longer play games that day. Instead pre Christmas games like Raith away get shunted to a Friday night. 

Used to be local games at Christmas and new year to prevent travelling and hopefully increase crowd numbers. We should be playing Thistle/Queens Park on Boxing Day and Morton on New Year’s Day. 

Ayr v Morton
Thistle v Queens Park
Raith v Dunfermline 
Dundee United v Arbroath

The only ones who f**k it up are Airdrie and Inverness 

I wonder what people's short, medium and long term ambitions for the club are.

Was last season's 2nd place a Dipo inspired one off? Did it create false hope, especially with him leaving?

With our current crowds and infrastructure how high should we be realistically aiming. Have we indeed reached our ceiling?

Genuinely interested in what people think as these go a long way to fuel daily outpouring of emotion and frustrations on here.

Edited by BukyOHare

13 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Genuinely interested in what people's short, medium and long term ambitions for the club are.

Was last season's 2nd place a Dipo inspired one off? Did it create false hope, especially with him leaving?

With our current crowds and infrastructure how high should we be realistically aiming. Have we indeed reached our ceiling?

Genuinely interested in what people think as these go a long way to fuel daily outpouring of emotion and frustrations on here.

The problem we have is our recruitment, so at the moment, this is our ceiling IMO.  They go on about a journey and a 5 year plan for the Premiership etc, but project signings from the deepest darkest leagues of England aren't going to do that.  For every Dipo, there is a JML/Gondoh/Pendlebury/Rose and so on.  I bang on about them, but Raith are the example now of what ambitious clubs should be doing.  Manager with a style of play that is attractive and a mix of good young and experienced pros on longer contracts to keep them on that trajectory.  If they fail to get promotion this season, you wouldn't expect them to change much in personnel terms next year, maybe 1 or 2 in and 1 or 2 out and keep the core of an exciting squad.  We're going to be open heart surgery again.

20 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Genuinely interested in what people's short, medium and long term ambitions for the club are.

Finishing second was a total fluke, we should have finished mid table. We were rotten from December onwards and Dipo downed tools in the new year.

In terms of infrastructure what the owner has done is incredible and a real legacy. However in his tenure his managerial appointments and Mathie’s recruitment have been dreadful.

We’ve regressed on the park as we’ve progressed off it.

7 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Finishing second was a total fluke, we should have finished mid table. We were rotten from December onwards and Dipo downed tools in the new year.

In terms of infrastructure what the owner has done is incredible and a real legacy. However in his tenure his managerial appointments and Mathie’s recruitment have been dreadful.

We’ve regressed on the park as we’ve progressed off it.

Agree we should never have finished 2nd last season but at the same time I don't think Dipo chucked it. Other teams just realised in the 2nd half of the season that he was all we had in terms of threat and marked him out the game.

In terms of this season's squad, obviously the majority of the signings are gash but it's the lack of progress from our academy players that's concerned me. Were they just not good enough or have they been totally mismanaged? I feel it's probably the latter given how badly all the other playing side of things has been dealt with.

42 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I don’t think last season created false hope, we were poor for a lot of it. You can’t say we were lucky to finish second because we won the points to be second but you have to accept the difference between second and fifth was one goal. 

Dipo not staying was another dose of realism, we could neither refuse the transfer fee or convince him to stay. We have a good but limited budget. 

The short term has gone from getting in to the playoff places and challenging the top two to staying in the league. 

The short term plan should be continual improvement in players, in results and in ways of conducting business. The latter is key, we had a major rebuild in the summer, we already need one in January.
Having a summer where you only make 2-3 upgrades and a couple of spec signings seems a long way off.

The medium and long term will take care of themselves if we get the short term right. That is where you would hope that having the continuity of a back room staff and Mathie would help towards a long term vision, but it seems to stumble from week to week at the moment. 

56 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

We currently are a Championship side with a mid table budget as Smith confirmed in July . To get get promoted with that kind of budget would be miraculous. 

In the future, when all our infrastructure projects are fuelling the club with funds I’d expect under the current owner to make the step up . That said we’ll need to sign decent players on decent contracts .

Nobody will ever convince me that doing a StJohnstone or a Ross County is beyond our club . Certainly not under the current ownership . We have been asleep since 1978 it’s time to move forward now . 

I think if we had fixed some of the glaring deficiencies from last season and been mid table fighting for the last play off spot would probably have gone down as a step forward (which is strange given we finished 2nd). We were never going to replace Dipo, but we should have signed marked improvements on Reading and Houston which we didnt. 

Also having some sort of idea of what our tactics or style of play is other than punting it up the park would help.

I think short term goals are basically stay in the league mid table while the infrastructure is put in place round the club to them make a push at promotion. Even staying mid table your likely to have a crack at the play offs anyway

Aye progress for me would be looking like a mid table Championship team all over the park. Last season was the Dipo show and this year 3 of our 4 wins were massively helped by the presence of Chalmers who scored half the goals in those 3 games.

Star standout players are nice but it’s much nicer to see a balanced team of 11 players who are at least suited to the level with a bench you don’t wince at every week.

1 hour ago, Scott-ish said:

In terms of this season's squad, obviously the majority of the signings are gash but it's the lack of progress from our academy players that's concerned me.

Was amazed to find out yesterday Bryden's contract expires next summer, this is someone who two years ago had Swansea City looking at him and could now potentially leave for nothing next summer...

f**k all has happened in the academy since Crawford, Forrest and McCowan who we got £0 for and two of them are now in the premiership and playing well

McKenzie is rotten and Smith had a one game wonder against Partick on the last day of the 2022 season to keep us up and has done nothing else since.

Bryden is an unknown quantity as he has never had a string of games but i firmly believe the likes of a McCall would be getting more out of him than Bullen is. 

As you say though majority of academy prospects just rot out the bench for a couple of seasons before ending up at Cumnock Juniors or something like that