The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

The fifth goal we conceeded against QoS back in September is a good watch as to why Bell shouldn't be played at centre half.

You could also pick out plenty of examples over the course of the season that would suggest he should be played at centre half.

It’s a balance and over the course of the season he’s had more good moments than bad moments.

54 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The fifth goal we conceeded against QoS back in September is a good watch as to why Bell shouldn't be played at centre half.

Plenty of goals conceded this season where you could have said the same about Rose. Though I bet you just glossed over those like a large proportion of the support.

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

McCall seems to believe, I’ll give it till the beginning of the seasons but it’s not looking great. 

Has he said that  playoffs is the target for next season? I know  he's talked about winning it but I assume that's a down the road goal, he has mentioned consolidation for next season. Last pre season he stated 8th &  playoffs as the target so he couldn't really lose with that.

Has he said that  playoffs is the target for next season? I know  he's talked about winning it but I assume that's a down the road goal, he has mentioned consolidation for next season. Last pre season he stated 8th &  playoffs as the target so he couldn't really lose with that.

Mentioned at the Gaitey winning the league will be tough next season but hasn’t said what his aims are next season.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I have nothing against Stevie Bell but he should not be starting for a team with ambitions of finishing top 4. 

Has the penny not dropped yet?  Next season is a rebuild year - no way are we going for top 4.  Anything better than 8th will be a bonus.  

51 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Plenty of goals conceded this season where you could have said the same about Rose. Though I bet you just glossed over those like a large proportion of the support.

No I didn't but don't let the facts get in the way of your story.

9 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

No I didn't but don't let the facts get in the way of your story.

Says the person who came out with this belter.

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Because hes crap in the air and not a centre half.

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Says the person who came out with this belter.

Oooh dear, you accuse me of giving Rose a free pass in spite of saying since January his performances got worse!

Then quote me talking about Bell. :blink:

On the Rose/Bell topic ,while both were prone to the odd howler the bigger picture really was quite simple ,Ayr were not a  strong team in defence . Both  full backs bombed forward and were supported (use the term loosely) by two non defenders usually at right and left midfield . Any centre half would struggle under those circumstances . I'm guessing  next seasons team may be a bit more pragmatic. Geggan at right mid ,a new tough right back maybe even Doc at right back . Even putting a lump of wood on the left would be a defensive improvement on Robbie or McDaid .This brings me to Ayr fans pantomime villain ,one Arron Muirhead ,the fans seem to give him the tut tut treatment because his range of pass is limited where as Rose could ping  it about all over the place . Truth is Rose is the modern defender ,good footballer/average defender . Muirhead is an old style  stopper , clears his line and doesn't get pushed around . Loved the elbow to the back of Cardle's head ,which sparkled the wee Pikey for about ten minutes and calmed Thistle down a bit as they were threatening to give us a beasting at Somerset in Aprril . We are going to need him next season and maybe another in midfield just like him if we are to finish in the top 6 ....Just saying ...

We conceded the second fewest goals in the league, also meaning we conceded fewer than ICT who many fans and pundits loved to praise for their supposed solidity.

Granted it deteriorated towards the season’s end but I never quite got the knicker wetting over our defence. Players make mistakes sometimes, but the stats the show we were still pretty solid.

1 hour ago, Mgc1910 said:

Has the penny not dropped yet?  Next season is a rebuild year - no way are we going for top 4.  Anything better than 8th will be a bonus.  

For a many of our eagerly ambitious supporters anything less than a top 4 will be seen as a travesty.