Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

935 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cammy Bell on OTB just now describing how he felt when Kilmarnock won the league cup in 2011/12 because it was the first major trophy they had ever won.

giphy.gif

Other than previously winning the top tier once and the Scottish Cup three times of course.

On 14/03/2020 at 13:22, Lurkst said:

Jason Leitch's broadcasting  has been excellent this week. My wife is becoming alarmingly fixated with him however. 

They have put a couple of clips up on Twitter from his spiel, suggest everyone watches it so they can actually understand why ScotGov are making certain decisions and maybe they can stop believing utter shite posted as fact by puddle drinking simpletons on Social media.

It's been said before but Cowan has an inexplicably atrocious taste in music! Not sure that Kenny Rogers is that popular among Scottish football fans! Could be wrong though.

Anyway, whenever they don't pander to Sevco and Celtic it's usually a really enjoyable show, like today.

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Wish they would stop the stupid songs. Kenny Clark is pretty good to listen to and the music adds nothing.

The music is always dreadful. It's always utter garbage that Tam Cowan likes, and the vast majority of the guests have no clue what the song is, whilst he (Cowan) sits there shouting "Come on!", as if the guests are among a select audience who listen to the same absolute shit he does.

They also play far too much of each song.

I've never been a big fan of OTB, so I suppose I'm more of an outlier, but these days I honestly cannot stomach more than 10 minutes of it. I'm sure Cowan is a nice enough bloke in person, but I just can't deal with his tired banter. Cosgrove is clever enough but he certainly goes a long way to hide it for the show.

The thing that really bugs me about it is this claim about being "petty and ill-informed". That was all fine and well in the late 90s when it was irreverent to go against the experts and know-it-alls. It was enjoyable flouting ignorance and joking about it. However, now? Petty and ill-informed are the twitter masses, the Trump meme'rs and the Tommy Robinson nazi pug followers. Being petty and ill informed is not a positive trait any more.

As I say, I was never a big fan in the first place and you can't say the show has been a failure. 25 years, or whatever, is a stunning record and you have to hand it to both Cowan and Cosgrove for managing that.

Edit: So I tried to listen to an episode today. Once again, tired banter to begin with but hey, let's stick with it. 5 minutes in and Cowan is discussing how he wanked off as a child. I felt that was probably enough for me. 5 minutes though, longer than I normally manage to listen for.

Edited by Ric

Cowan and Cosgrove are the Harold Bishop and Lou Carpenter of Scottish football. They bicker but really they will one day leave in a camper van for a tour of Scotland and passionate romance.

On 23/03/2020 at 21:39, Ric said:

I've never been a big fan of OTB, so I suppose I'm more of an outlier, but these days I honestly cannot stomach more than 10 minutes of it. I'm sure Cowan is a nice enough bloke in person, but I just can't deal with his tired banter. Cosgrove is clever enough but he certainly goes a long way to hide it for the show.

The thing that really bugs me about it is this claim about being "petty and ill-informed". That was all fine and well in the late 90s when it was irreverent to go against the experts and know-it-alls. It was enjoyable flouting ignorance and joking about it. However, now? Petty and ill-informed are the twitter masses, the Trump meme'rs and the Tommy Robinson nazi pug followers. Being petty and ill informed is not a positive trait any more.

As I say, I was never a big fan in the first place and you can't say the show has been a failure. 25 years, or whatever, is a stunning record and you have to hand it to both Cowan and Cosgrove for managing that.

Edit: So I tried to listen to an episode today. Once again, tired banter to begin with but hey, let's stick with it. 5 minutes in and Cowan is discussing how he wanked off as a child. I felt that was probably enough for me. 5 minutes though, longer than I normally manage to listen for.

Unlike you, I used to love the programme in its early days.  Like you however, any time I now catch a few minutes (usually in the car) I wind up annoyed.

I'd never thought of your point about "petty and ill informed before", but you're spot on.  Even leaving social media aside, it can be argued that with the explosion in mainstream football coverage, there's enough ill informed rubbish around now, as evidenced on the Sportscene and Sportsound threads.

Getting it wrong all the time is not a plus.

Used to love it however it has gone downhill. Cowan continues to talk over everyone like  a wee excited kid. And like Chick Young they now repeat the same stories every few episodes. And they constantly make stuff up - the ill-informed part. If you do not know try google instead of talking shite.