Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

907 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The documentary should have been a bit of a kick up the arse to those involved to be honest. All the stuff about fanzine culture and sticking it to the Old Firm and getting good guests and the like - it's what it was and what it could still be but they seem to think their current format of Old Firm sycophants with barely any knowledge of football, wheeling out old tropes and being a bit Bernard Manning now and again is the way forward.

On 20/12/2019 at 00:49, andrewh said:

I’m too old to listen to a bunch of wee laddies. I watched the first episode and didn’t get it. Didn’t watch any more.

As its a BBC show surely you watch so you can work out which one Police Scotland are going to lift for inappropriate behaviour first.

On 19/12/2019 at 11:11, Doctor said:

I like Scottish football and as a consequence i like Off the ball. Yeah there could be a better alternative but its not going to be thought up by someone shitposting on an internet forum about how much they hate Stuart Cosgrove.

You can like Scottish football (as I do) but it's not consequential that you have to like Off The Ball. 

On 21/12/2019 at 14:44, Salvo Montalbano said:

The documentary should have been a bit of a kick up the arse to those involved to be honest. All the stuff about fanzine culture and sticking it to the Old Firm and getting good guests and the like - it's what it was and what it could still be but they seem to think their current format of Old Firm sycophants with barely any knowledge of football, wheeling out old tropes and being a bit Bernard Manning now and again is the way forward.

A bit Bernard Manning now and again? It's Cowan's Plan A. 

On 21/12/2019 at 12:31, Lurkst said:

You'll be pleased to hear he's off to Sri Lanka for a few weeks.

He probably calls it Ceylon.

16 hours ago, Jason King said:

As its a BBC show surely you watch so you can work out which one Police Scotland are going to lift for inappropriate behaviour first.

Telfer, defo Telfer of those four.

Watched the doc, thought it was okay, a bit self-indulgent if anything. Since the death of Traynor's Your Call, them going to two shows per Saturday has killed the show in its current format. When we're in the car on the way to games we end up listening to either the Terrace or Dode Fox Podcasts instead.

I think now is time to hand the reigns to two much younger guys, who again aren't OF fans. Although, that person should not be Ray Bradsaw, who's a nice enough guy but don't think he's particularly funny.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

It hasn't been all that bad today, I've quite enjoyed it.

In other news, Tam Cowan phoned in a sickie.

I stuck it on in the van for half an hour earlier as I got called out to work and it was a surprisingly decent listen which, I'm 100% attributing to that dinosaur Cowan not being present. 

Liam MacLeod referring to Stuart Cosgrove as 'Cozzy' was toe curling. He has since referred to 'Doddsy' and 'Chicko' on Sportsound within 5 minutes of the programme starting. Awful stuff.

Agree that OTB was better today, Tam Cowan usually ruins any half decent conversation about football by trying to butt in with a joke, that didn't happen today.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Only just got round to listening to last week’s shows whilst out walking the dog. Ray Bradshaw didn’t grate on me quite as much so maybe there’s hope for him yet.  Far better without Cosgrove.

And Mark Yardley came across as a genuinely decent guy and far more interesting guest than most ex-pros. Most of them can’t seem to remember much about their career  (or I suspect , prefer to give the impression of being blasé about it).