The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Hulkenburg will end up in another seat I'm sure. Would be amazed if he ended up with no drive at all.

Really don't get the Ocon hype at all. He does deserve a seat on the grid but the way he collided with Verstappen (which led to a lot of people inexplicably blaming Verstappen for the collison) in Brazil last season has put me off him big time.

F2 feature race red flagged after the second lap after a massive crash between Hubert and Correa. It's a sickening watch and with no news coming out you can only fear the worst. Hubert had hit the wall and come back in to the track, Correa then collided with him at race speed.

F2 feature race red flagged after the second lap after a massive crash between Hubert and Correa. It's a sickening watch and with no news coming out you can only fear the worst. Hubert had hit the wall and come back in to the track, Correa then collided with him at race speed.
Just saw it on Twitter, fearing the worst as it's now well over an hour since it happened and there has been no update on the condition of the drivers. Race was red flagged immediately and it won't restart.

I was going to post a link to the video earlier but thought better of it. Both cars just fall apart. Hubert's was already in a bad way after hitting the wall, and Correa's nosecone disintegrates leaving his feet exposed. No word on his injuries other than he has been transferred to hospital in Liege where he is stable.

RIP.

There's a video up on YouTube from the side of the track that caught the full impact of the crash.

Don't watch it - it's utterly horrific.

The Sun has a shortened version of it that stops just before the impact up on their online article - which they should really take down.

2 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Hamilton's word salad statement is a bit crass.

Not a fan of Hamilton at all but disagree with this. Thought it was on point. A lot of people (I've think we've all been guilty of it at some point) have complained that Formula 1 and other series have become too safe and watered down. This is a reminder that that is far from the case. But at the same time the danger is why the fans and the drivers love these sports.

Anyway Hamilton paid tribute to him appropriately as did other drivers like Alonso and Verstappen. Regardless of how you feel about any of them they'll all be hurting massively from this news right now.

I was going to post a link to the video earlier but thought better of it. Both cars just fall apart. Hubert's was already in a bad way after hitting the wall, and Correa's nosecone disintegrates leaving his feet exposed. No word on his injuries other than he has been transferred to hospital in Liege where he is stable.

RIP.
Unsurprising given that his legs were exposed during the crash, but reports this morning say that Correa suffered fractures to both legs and a minor spinal injury. His condition is described as stable after undergoing surgery.