The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

On 06/08/2019 at 22:31, Jamaldo said:

Pretty surreal that Hamilton will beat Schumacher's wins record. Never thought I'd see anyone do it. Thought Vettel had a chance after he'd won his fourth title and had the hybrid era never happened it would probably be him closing in on that record now but that's how it is. 

Feels like it's been too easy for Hamilton but I was never a fan of Schumacher  (although I always respected him for coming back despite having nothing to gain from it) so fair play to him.

I've wondered about this too, and since there are a lot more races now than back in Schumacher's day I looked at their win percentages. Hamilton's is 81 from 244 (33%), Schumacher's is 91 from 308 (29%). If you take away Schumacher's three Mercedes seasons it goes up... it goes up to 49.7%. I actually can't believe that even as I've written it. 

That said, I think the notion of Hamilton having both 100+ wins and 100+ poles is more remarkable. 

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've wondered about this too, and since there are a lot more races now than back in Schumacher's day I looked at their win percentages. Hamilton's is 81 from 244 (33%), Schumacher's is 91 from 308 (29%). If you take away Schumacher's three Mercedes seasons it goes up... it goes up to 49.7%. I actually can't believe that even as I've written it. 

That said, I think the notion of Hamilton having both 100+ wins and 100+ poles is more remarkable. 

His record pre-mercedes was 91 from 250, which is 36.4%.

On 11/08/2019 at 14:43, Snafu said:

I wonder how much Mercedes would be prepared to spend to bring Ricciardo to Mercedes and loan Ocon as part of the deal?

Ricciardo is having an abysmal season and has pretty much Alonsoed his career as a result - and unlike Alonso he doesn't have two world championships to prove that he and not the car is the sole problem. Don't see why Mercedes would throw him a lifeline when Hamilton would be more comfortable with Ocon in the other seat for now anyway. 

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Just having a look at the length of the drivers contracts with their current teams.

Mercedes - Hamilton 2020, Bottas TBC

Ferrari - Vettel  2021, Leclerc 2022

Red Bull - Verstappen 2021, Albon 2019 (2020 TBC)

McLaren - Sainz 2020, Norris 2020

Toro Rosso - Kvyat TBC, Gasly TBC

Renault - Ricciardo 2020, Hulkenberg TBC

Alfa Romeo - Raikkonen 2021, GiovInazzi TBC

Racing Point - Perez TBC, Stroll TBC

Haas - Magnussen TBC, Grosjean TBC

Williams - Russell 2020 (Multi Year), Kubica TBC

Would be good to see Hulk get at least one season at a top team, but I think that chance has gone now :( 

5 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

I thought winning the W Series got her the points she needed?

You need 25 to take part in practice, 40 to race. AFAIK she has zero (unless the MRF Challenge gets some). W Series isn't recognised until next season: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/friday-practice-superlicense-points/4474594/?nrt=54

15 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

You need 25 to take part in practice, 40 to race. AFAIK she has zero (unless the MRF Challenge gets some). W Series isn't recognised until next season: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/friday-practice-superlicense-points/4474594/?nrt=54

This is all came after the Sirotkin scandal and such? I don't remember there being a points system like this a few years ago.

6 hours ago, Snafu said:

Just having a look at the length of the drivers contracts with their current teams.

Mercedes - Hamilton 2020, Bottas TBC

Ferrari - Vettel  2021, Leclerc 2022

Red Bull - Verstappen 2021, Albon 2019 (2020 TBC)

McLaren - Sainz 2020, Norris 2020

Toro Rosso - Kvyat TBC, Gasly TBC

Renault - Ricciardo 2020, Hulkenberg TBC

Alfa Romeo - Raikkonen 2021, GiovInazzi TBC

Racing Point - Perez TBC, Stroll TBC

Haas - Magnussen TBC, Grosjean TBC

Williams - Russell 2020 (Multi Year), Kubica TBC

I'm interested to see what happens with Hulkenburg as there's been a few whispers he might lose his seat to Ocon if he doesn't get the second Mercedes seat. I can't imagine he'd have no drive at all though. 

If he wasn't Italian I think Giovinazzi would be in trouble as he's been pretty weak this season. He's been getting skelped by a nearly 40-year old Raikkonen for f**k sake. However I think he'll survive.

Racing Point won't change, but I reckon Grosjean will be out of F1 after this season. Magnussen will probably be ok but not a guarantee.

And goodness knows what will happen with Red Bull. The musical chairs operation they've got going on can't be good for the drivers' mental health. 

6 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

When he tried to buy his way into Sauber when he was 16. "Scandal" was probably the wrong word.

I'd forgotten all about that. The points system probably also had something to do with Max coming in so young, now you've got to have a driving licence first.

Edited by Ginaro

18 hours ago, Jamaldo said:

If he wasn't Italian I think Giovinazzi would be in trouble as he's been pretty weak this season. He's been getting skelped by a nearly 40-year old Raikkonen for f**k sake.

Most of the drivers on the grid would be getting skelped by Raikkonen this season. 

F1 was so much more fun with refuelling...

On the final lap, Jack Brabham’s Cooper ran out of fuel. Fortunately, he’d come to a stop at a nearby petrol station and the owner gave him a free splash of petrol so he could make it to the finish. F1 really was a different sport in the 1950s…

https://wtf1.com/post/on-this-day-in-f1-de-cesaris-crashes-and-lies-about-it/?fbclid=IwAR3kRLKDcy9q-OeBd96pImnu-ke4oDB00llcZxovO-Jz9ZHC01aGVpmbGOU