The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

I know it is just testing, and you can never tell much from it - surely the Ferrari isn't genuinely that far in front of everyone else. must have used a low fuel/soft tyre combo whilst the other teams are on long runs. 

All the talk today is the Mercedes sidepod design and if it is legal or not. 

ETA: LeClerc's fast time is about 4 seconds slower than the pole position lap in qualifying from last year, and 2.5 seconds slower than the fastest race lap from last year. 

Edited by scottsdad

Pointless trying to gauge any kind of performance levels at testing, its purely for data and reliability. Wont know anything until qualifying for the first race. I fear that mercedes might be a brawn style second faster or something mental with that design.

Aye, testing means nothing. Were Mercedes not about 6th fastest last year, everyone got excited then the win the rave the following week. 

Ace seeing so many different designs on track, Ferrari & Aston Martin looking particularly good. Just a shame its Lance fucking Stroll driving the thing. 

I remember testing in 1998, McLaren blew everyone away and people just knew they would be fast. 

These times are all nonsense; but still Leclerc catches my eye as he is consistently near the top of the timesheets. 

On Mercedes, surely having such tiny sidepods increases the risk of overheating and power loss surely? That was my first thought anyway. 

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I remember testing in 1998, McLaren blew everyone away and people just knew they would be fast. 

These times are all nonsense; but still Leclerc catches my eye as he is consistently near the top of the timesheets. 

On Mercedes, surely having such tiny sidepods increases the risk of overheating and power loss surely? That was my first thought anyway. 

That was my thought , they struggled with overheating previously so that must surely be a factor with the almost non-existent sidepods . I'm pretty much expecting them to turn up next weekend and be a clear second faster than the next team but would love it if they were firmly in the mid pack with engines that are going to fry themselves racing in traffic. 

Really hope the Ferrari is as good as it looks , the more I see it on track with the sculpted sidepods the more I love it.  

That was my thought , they struggled with overheating previously so that must surely be a factor with the almost non-existent sidepods . I'm pretty much expecting them to turn up next weekend and be a clear second faster than the next team but would love it if they were firmly in the mid pack with engines that are going to fry themselves racing in traffic. 
Really hope the Ferrari is as good as it looks , the more I see it on track with the sculpted sidepods the more I love it.  
If I remember correctly Mercedes were blaming part of the overheating issues on the decision to paint the cars black whereas the silver reflected a lot of the heat away

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:
2 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

If I remember correctly Mercedes were blaming part of the overheating issues on the decision to paint the cars black whereas the silver reflected a lot of the heat away

That's actually a very fair point. There was research done in the 1990s in Florida looking at roof spaces inside houses. They took a row of houses and painted the roofs different colours and measured the temperature over 24 hours. The roof painted black got to about 30 degrees C hotter than the roof painted white. 

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Horner now accepting that the Mercedes is within the rules.

Don't think there's any issue with the sidepods other than they look 'radical' , Ferrari saying they already went down that route but binned the concept. One part that clearly breaks the letter of the rules is the wing mirror on the Merc.  Wing mirrors defined as " not part of the bodywork" in the rules and rule 3.2.2 states parts that are not bodywork can have no aerodynamic benefit , whereas those wing mirror mounts look suspiciously aero beneficial to me 🤔