The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

So F1 is furiously trying to polish the Sprint format turd by handing full race pole position to fastest in Friday practice, not the sprint winner, and awarding points in the sprint race down to 8th position <_<

The sooner the teams throw a collective tantrum and get this nonsense binned for good the better.

38 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

So F1 is furiously trying to polish the Sprint format turd by handing full race pole position to fastest in Friday practice, not the sprint winner, and awarding points in the sprint race down to 8th position <_<

The sooner the teams throw a collective tantrum and get this nonsense binned for good the better.

You sure about that pal? Sure I read its just the number of points which has changed. The sprint race decides the full race order, no?

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/36695/12594485/sprint-explaining-f1s-returning-format-and-why-its-more-significant-ahead-of-emilia-romagna-gp

Edited by jimbaxters

54 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

You sure about that pal? Sure I read its just the number of points which has changed. The sprint race decides the full race order, no?

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/36695/12594485/sprint-explaining-f1s-returning-format-and-why-its-more-significant-ahead-of-emilia-romagna-gp

Right, to clear this up -

The 'Pole Position' of record is decided by fastest in Friday Quali, and that driver starts in 1st for the Sprint. Finishing order in the Sprint then sets starting order for the Sunday main race, as it did before.

31 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Well I quite like it for something different and some meaningful action on the Saturday.

I've been watching F1 for 32 years and I'm pretty sure there has been meaningful action on the Saturday at every race meet 🤔

19 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I have been reading about it the sprint format all day, and I still haven't a fucking clue what it's about.

Can someone explain it? Imagine you're describing it to a 5 year old.

Friday - practice then qualifying to set the grid for the sprint race

Saturday - practice then sprint race (1/3 distance, top 8 get points) which sets the grid for the race

Sunday - race

I've been watching F1 for 32 years and I'm pretty sure there has been meaningful action on the Saturday at every race meet [emoji848]. 
I've been watching F1 for 40 years and there hasn't been points paying action on the day before the GP.