The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

With commentators and pundits (Croft & Brundle) skipping races due to workload, F1 should think about what this is like for the teams. 

24 races is too many. The season is about 50% longer than it should be. Mechanics, drivers, everyone will get burnt out.

14 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

With commentators and pundits (Croft & Brundle) skipping races due to workload, F1 should think about what this is like for the teams. 

24 races is too many. The season is about 50% longer than it should be. Mechanics, drivers, everyone will get burnt out.

A lot of the teams rotate there mechanics/engineers with factory staff now for the fly away races .Not the main players as such but the behind scenes types 

37 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

A lot of the teams rotate there mechanics/engineers with factory staff now for the fly away races .Not the main players as such but the behind scenes types 

Even so, the hard core who go to every race will be exhausted.

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Even so, the hard core who go to every race will be exhausted.

I totally agree but they tend to be the fly in private on the Thursday and fly out about an hour after the race ends the set up / tare down crew are the economy class there for a week, they are they ones that will be most knackered 

It's definitely far too much , I mean I love F1 but the last few years it just seems like there's always a race constantly coming at you , but not in a great I don't have long to wait to see another race kind of way . More in a this is really diluting the product kind of way.  Add to that they give loads of points to just about everyone and by the time we're getting to the end of the season I really don't care that 3rd place is only 534572658 points behind second and can make it all up if they win the sprint race and get a fastest lap.  

Nostalgia time.

In the late 90s, a DNF or a win really meant something. It had a huge effect on the title fight. I remember Hakkinen crying his eyes out after spinning out in Italy because he knew that those 10 points were genuinely meaningful.

It’s crazy that a 50 point lead at the summer break isn’t even a big deal, a contender can crash out at Monza and it’ll just be like oh well we’ve got 8 races to go. Before if you were 10 points  and you DNF’d it was catastrophic, now it’s alright cause you can make it up easily. 

On 22/02/2024 at 21:43, JamesP_81 said:

It's definitely far too much , I mean I love F1 but the last few years it just seems like there's always a race constantly coming at you , but not in a great I don't have long to wait to see another race kind of way . More in a this is really diluting the product kind of way.  Add to that they give loads of points to just about everyone and by the time we're getting to the end of the season I really don't care that 3rd place is only 534572658 points behind second and can make it all up if they win the sprint race and get a fastest lap.  

I'm kinda similar. When I was younger I couldn't get enough of F1, now I'm a bit "meh" that the new season is starting already. I very rarely watch qualifying nowadays and have hardly seen any of the sprints.

At the risk of going full Grampa Simpson, when I started watching there were 16 races. Now there's 24 I think, so there's been an increase of 50 per cent over that period. Not sure any other sport has increased by as much as that over the last 30 years - although obviously a lot more is televised than it was back then.

Don't really have an issue with the points system though as with the reliability nowadays it would have been the same three teams scoring points most weeks. Mind you, it was changed to the top 10 when the three new teams arrived - weird it wasn't then changed again after they all went bust!

13 hours ago, Stu said:

I'm kinda similar. When I was younger I couldn't get enough of F1, now I'm a bit "meh" that the new season is starting already. I very rarely watch qualifying nowadays and have hardly seen any of the sprints.

At the risk of going full Grampa Simpson, when I started watching there were 16 races. Now there's 24 I think, so there's been an increase of 50 per cent over that period. Not sure any other sport has increased by as much as that over the last 30 years - although obviously a lot more is televised than it was back then.

Don't really have an issue with the points system though as with the reliability nowadays it would have been the same three teams scoring points most weeks. Mind you, it was changed to the top 10 when the three new teams arrived - weird it wasn't then changed again after they all went bust!

It definitely doesn't feel like an event anymore, now it's just part of the weekends sport. If you miss a race or two then fine, you won't be waiting long and each one has less impact on the bigger picture.

That said, a close championship would make all the difference.

It's the American model. 

Increase revenue until you milk every bit of fun out of it, then watch it implode, walk into the sunset and start a new series.

The NHL and MLB seasons are a joke for fixture congestion and shite, meaningless games amongst what SHOULD be an awesome product.

I remember being excited about a back-to-back in F1. Now they all seem to be back-to-back. Good races used to be a privilege to watch, now we try to manipulate races so they are all "exciting" to suit the DTS fans, and they are all becoming a bit meh