The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

22 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Parking is just on the grass on the hill at Knockhill - the Marshalls direct you where to go. A RWD car will struggle at certain parts if it’s a wet day. It’s usually mega busy on the Sunday. I get there between half 7 and 8 to avoid the long queues and you get a nosy round the paddock when it’s not rammed with people.

The food is expensive so I’d advise bringing something with you. There are loads of food stalls though. There are big screens at the hairpin and the other side of Duffus Dip so they are decent bits to watch. Also take waterproofs. The BTCC is class. 

I have heard about how rammed it is on btcc days , any idea how it is on a bog standard event weekend? Going to take the kids karting there on Sunday morning then got tickets for the saloon car race day. Should I be leaving hours early to make our kart slot ? 

7 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

I have heard about how rammed it is on btcc days , any idea how it is on a bog standard event weekend? Going to take the kids karting there on Sunday morning then got tickets for the saloon car race day. Should I be leaving hours early to make our kart slot ? 

I’d imagine it won’t be that busy busy mate. 

12 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Parking is just on the grass on the hill at Knockhill - the Marshalls direct you where to go. A RWD car will struggle at certain parts if it’s a wet day. It’s usually mega busy on the Sunday. I get there between half 7 and 8 to avoid the long queues and you get a nosy round the paddock when it’s not rammed with people.

The food is expensive so I’d advise bringing something with you. There are loads of food stalls though. There are big screens at the hairpin and the other side of Duffus Dip so they are decent bits to watch. Also take waterproofs. The BTCC is class. 

Pretty much all this - arrive early and you'll get in without too much hassle. Getting out can take a loooong time. Take sandwiches with you rather than pay a fortune for food. Usually found the best place for watching is to cross into the middle of the track and you get a good view of the straight up to the hairpin, the hairpin and most of the main straight.

Years and years ago (late 90s) there used to be park and ride to the track but that just meant you stood in a queue rather than sat in one - one year we walked back as it was pissing down and we were already soaked. It was also better when there was something like Formula Renault or Clios after the touring cars as a lot of folk didn't stay for them so it spread the traffic out a bit.

I usually leave on the second last lap of the third BTCC race and I’m out in 5 minutes. I also usually move my car forward after the second BTCC race or during the lunch break for a quicker getaway. 

Thanks all. Some great tips there. 

With the wee man being, well, wee. Id imagine we'd be away early if we commit to an early start to the day. 

It's his first experience of a big race (and mine in person) so hoping it's a gateway experience 😎

On 01/06/2024 at 14:50, Gianfranco said:

I usually leave on the second last lap of the third BTCC race and I’m out in 5 minutes. I also usually move my car forward after the second BTCC race or during the lunch break for a quicker getaway. 

First time I went about 20 years ago the Legends were on last after the final BTCC race, which was great as they are brilliant to watch and it allowed some of the traffic to get away.

1 minute ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Ocon pays the price for his stupidity in Monaco

A little bit surprised but he put himself in a very dangerous position and I feel the team has said enough is enough. He's an excellent driver but has the maturity of a 6 year old on skittles

Wouldn't be surprised if he's emptied before the end of the season. Hilarious if he somehow falls upwards to Mercedes or even Red Bull.

There was a suggestion that Gasly had hit him earlier in the lap at Monaco but little, if anything, has been made of that.

21 hours ago, Stu said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he's emptied before the end of the season. Hilarious if he somehow falls upwards to Mercedes or even Red Bull.

There was a suggestion that Gasly had hit him earlier in the lap at Monaco but little, if anything, has been made of that.

A slight touch in the opening few corners is different to throwing the car into a certain accident though. He's got a track record of being a knob and it's finally caught up with him. 

Given how garbage alpine are, it might actually work out well for him!

Considering Gasly was in front of Ocon, the only way Gasly could've hit him earlier in the lap was if Ocon was trying to throw one past him, which he was told not to do. The guy is a tube, he's been screwing up his teammates races for too long now and hopefully he ends up in Formula E

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

New 2 year deal at Red Bull for Perez. Strange call from them, imo. 

Someone needs to pay for their number 1 driver. "And Mexico will pay for it" 

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Perez is in one of the most dominant cars in F1 history and hasn't won a race since last April. Getting into Q2 counts as a good weekend for him at the moment.

He must have a very good agent.

He has the GDP of a country behind him.

Really odd one for me. I get they want a number 2 who won't challenge Verstappen, but you need one who can help him out on track or pick up a win if Verstappen has an issue. Think what Barrichello did with Schumacher. Perez is miles off what they need. 

I still believe the Red Bull car isn't the all-conquering specimen we all think it is. It's clearly set up to be fast with NO comprise and is known to be a dog to handle and set up. My belief is that a lot of drivers on the grid would struggle to do what Checo is doing with it and Max is just a being from a different dimension