The Big Relegation Thread

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*waves*

We'll probably dominate Livi on the final day, fluff every chance then concede a 87th minute goal from a set play.

Final position dependent on the County v Killie result the same day.

Considine OG.

I'll be interested to see how our performances go now that we are arithmetically safe. I don't see us completely downing tools like Livi seem to have done, but equally I can't see us going undefeated to the end of the season given what's at stake for County and Utd. That would mean we'd only have lost 2 in 14 which seems too good to be possible.

I don't think we've ever officially relegated someone before so sinking Utd on the last day might be a good laugh.

6 minutes ago, dezz said:

I'll be interested to see how our performances go now that we are arithmetically safe. I don't see us completely downing tools like Livi seem to have done, but equally I can't see us going undefeated to the end of the season given what's at stake for County and Utd. That would mean we'd only have lost 2 in 14 which seems too good to be possible.

I don't think we've ever officially relegated someone before so sinking Utd on the last day might be a good laugh.

We relegated Falkirk in 93, kind of St Johnstone in 94 and I think again in 2001 maybe? But it's been a while for sure.

I also don't see us finishing without at least one defeat, playing for your mortgage and future of those in the ticket office is quite the motivation compared to folk picking out beachwear, even with all the jazz about prize money and what it means for contracts.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

That’s what it has boiled down to - who is so bad they can’t beat Livingston?  County - pass.  Kilmarnock - pass.  

At some stage, Livingston will surely win a game, and it’s likely to relegate somebody.  

Nah, they play Motherwell at home next midweek who will have equally downed tools by then. If they're going to win a game, it'll be that one.

16 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

We relegated Falkirk in 93, kind of St Johnstone in 94 and I think again in 2001 maybe? But it's been a while for sure.

I also don't see us finishing without at least one defeat, playing for your mortgage and future of those in the ticket office is quite the motivation compared to folk picking out beachwear, even with all the jazz about prize money and what it means for contracts.

Drew 1-1 in 2002 which saw us relegated with 4 games still to play 

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

That’s what it has boiled down to - who is so bad they can’t beat Livingston?  County - pass.  Kilmarnock - pass.  

At some stage, Livingston will surely win a game, and it’s likely to relegate somebody.  

St Johnstone will beat us at McDiarmid if they need to. It's Dundee United at Almondvale that'll be the interesting one.

22 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

For the neutral it must be the most entertaining relegation battle for a while.  It changes by the week.

I was far more entertained by the relegation battle of Hearts in 2020 but this is also fun.

12 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

This is the big relegation thread and I therefore demand a big relegation. County going down just won't cut it. United straight down and St Johnstone to lose to Partick in the playoffs, please. 

That'd be a big relegation.

I raise you Ayr beating Kilmarnock in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Nah, they play Motherwell at home next midweek who will have equally downed tools by then. If they're going to win a game, it'll be that one.

Based on the weekend, Motherwell don't seem like a team that would down tools. Especially for Kettlewell as he will not want his players to go on holiday mode and County get relegated as a result. Not to mention that they will want to claim 7th, for the extra cash.

Livi though, slightly different case. Too many players likely to be away and so won't want to pick up any kind of injury. They won't be going out not to try to win, but if there is a 50/50 to be had, not going to be flying in.

Slight concern though that if (and I think it will be the case) St Johnstone need something from that game, given it will be players final game, they may raise themselves a bit.

I never believed that players downed tools until I watched the Kilmarnock side that succumbed to Charlie Adam inspired Dundee a couple of seasons back, I remember wondering if I were a scout or manager of a club looking to sign a player for the next season, would I take a chance on someone who would only commit if things were going as he wished? A resounding No rung around my head.

Sunday League, Amateurs maybe, but there should be a “pot” for Professionsal Footballers who do this. 

Livi and 'Well are basically wildcards now and a lot depends on if and when they decide to turn up from now on. I think Motherwell are undeniably the best team in the bottom 6 based on our form since February and I would like to think our target is now to win every game post split, which would be a very unusual thing for anyone to do (and we'll basically be trying to get KVV his 30 goals which will be a nice side show)

Having a packed Fir Park on the last day of the season with Utd needing to win to stay up would be excellent in the context of our season basically being done now.

Hi all,

I think it would be greatly received by the rest of the clubs if United, County, Killie and St J finished on 38 points on the final day of the season. 

Alternatively, if all four clubs could go into matchday 38 all on the same points then that would be welcomed too.

All math checks out and both options are doable (I think).

Thanks again,

Irrational Behaviour 

22 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Hi all,

I think it would be greatly received by the rest of the clubs if United, County, Killie and St J finished on 38 points on the final day of the season. 

Alternatively, if all four clubs could go into matchday 38 all on the same points then that would be welcomed too.

All math checks out and both options are doable (I think).

Thanks again,

Irrational Behaviour 

Absolutely disgusting. 😡

On 13/05/2023 at 19:02, mizfit said:

A win for us next week, combined with Livingston actually remembering the season is ongoing will see us safe you’d imagine. 

Im not going through another playoff. No fucking danger could I. 

I don't think we'll have to.  And not in a good way.

56 minutes ago, Swello said:

Livi and 'Well are basically wildcards now and a lot depends on if and when they decide to turn up from now on. I think Motherwell are undeniably the best team in the bottom 6 based on our form since February and I would like to think our target is now to win every game post split, which would be a very unusual thing for anyone to do (and we'll basically be trying to get KVV his 30 goals which will be a nice side show)

Having a packed Fir Park on the last day of the season with Utd needing to win to stay up would be excellent in the context of our season basically being done now.

By a mile.  But they could well do with playing the kids, thanks. 

edit: somebody much more eloquent than me described the relegation “battle” as being “all the teams are so bad that they just might survive”, and that was exactly on point.  

Edited by Savage Henry

10 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It'll be us. Our game is at Livingston and we've got a horrific record through there. The only recent exception is a win in the league cup earlier this season when our players were celebrating their first managerial sacrifice of the season.

Edited by captainkev