Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Its just more virtue signalling by parents who start to realise how important certain people and things are instead of being completely self absorbed and clueless about most things.
Teachers do a very important job but to say nurses and teachers are suddenly heroes is a bit daft. They've always been important.

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You don't have to ignore them. Drawing on reserves and re assigning resources to different departments is not the same as being overwhelmed.

Also diverting staff, asking staff out of retirement and asking for people to work for free is a pretty fucking massive indicator of being close to being overwhelmed.

ETA - And diverting medical students from their studies and flinging them into hospitals

Edited by The OP

Also worth pointing out that, for many thousands of teachers, doing extra work to help pupils catch up would mean having to pay more for childcare.

So not only working for free but being significantly out of pocket for it at the same time.

Recent figures for people dying in hospital in England each day who had tested positive before dying.

Total first, then broken down by age group.

There is a reason WM are easing restrictions. Hospital death numbers are now fairly insignificant versus all other causes of death.

Screenshot_20200512-175054_WPS Office.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

Its just more virtue signalling by parents who start to realise how important certain people and things are instead of being completely self absorbed and clueless about most things.
Teachers do a very important job but to say nurses and teachers are suddenly heroes is a bit daft. They've always been important.
I don't want to be heralded as a hero.

I'm in a job that I love and that is (now) fairly well paid with great holidays. I'm doing the job I'm paid to do. That's all it is.

If people want to knock the mock piety out of teachers then they should advocate to pay them the same as other professionals. Stuff their mouths with gold as it were.

22 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Civil servants haven't had a mention yet.
My sister got transferred into dealing with universal credit claims without training and has had zero time off. No PPE or even hand sanitiser.
Not sure why teachers are getting such attention or more than others?

I'm a civil servant, it's been class. Working 12 hours a week, paid for three times that and just discovered today that the laptop I've been sent to do training on is a touch screen. It's going to end up turning me into a Tory with this much waste of taxpayer money.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Recent figures for people dying in hospital in England each day who had tested positive before dying.

Total first, then broken down by age group.

There is a reason WM are easing restrictions. Hospital death numbers are now fairly insignificant versus all other causes of death.

Screenshot_20200512-175054_WPS Office.jpg

Where is that table from?

1 minute ago, The OP said:

Todd will point out they just did that for a laugh.

I couldn't find any stats on all the tests and investigations that were cancelled. 

If only Todd had been minister for health we wouldn't have been tricked by the evil scientists and their apparently motiveless hoax. 

If people want to knock the mock piety out of teachers then they should advocate to pay them the same as other professionals. Stuff their mouths with gold as it were.
I'm a civil servant, it's been class. Working 12 hours a week, paid for three times that and just discovered today that the laptop I've been sent to do training on is a touch screen. It's going to end up turning me into a Tory with this much waste of taxpayer money.
What department do you work in?

My sister cant work from home because of confidentiality and doing full 9-5.

I'm sure there are a few teachers who want to be teachers but there are more than a few who are in it for days off and couldn't get a job anywhere else.
The last trainee teacher who couldn't get a job elsewhere failed his first placement then came to our school and would have failed his second one had it finished. The ones who are actually working are almost always passionate about either education or their subject or both. Ask most teachers what they enjoy about the job and they'll say teaching, interacting with the pupils and the like. Ask what they don't and it's the never ending paperwork, increased workload and a lack of proper pupil support mechanisms which sees more people in mainstream who would have been at an off-campus facility in the past. The pay and holidays are good (and I've not met that many teachers who disagree) but as I always say to those who think it's an easy gig - come try it. Come in for an observation day, apply for teacher training, do the job.

I'm doing bits and pieces of work where I can but it's not perfect. I'd prefer to be in school (even without pupils if that can be done) so I can organise stuff, tidy the lab, do experiments and film them, etc. but my school is completely locked up. We have weekly zoom meetings and stuff but while the majority of pupils are trying, many of them are struggling and that's without talking about those who don't have a laptop and reliable internet access.

I think the only way we could do things in secondary schools is to do week about with pupils or something but even that is a logistical nightmare - when they pick their Nationals and Highers they could all be in the top half of the alphabet, or all male, or all in the same house or whatever but in other classes they could be in one with a near 50/50 split, so how do you decide which pupils come in when? You couldn't do mornings/afternoons as you could have five periods of History and one of Maths or whatever. Hopefully we all get back in full time in August - the 5th and 6th years will have only missed a few weeks of their new courses and 3rd and 4th years should have enough time to catch up on work missed, although they may need to not do some of the more lengthy additional tasks like group presentations and research tasks but I'm sure the SQA will adjust grade boundaries etc. for a year or two as everyone will be in the same boat.

Anyway, I know - tl;dr. Teachers are doing a decent job in difficult circumstances and have good pay and holidays but it's not an easy job.

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I couldn't find any stats on all the tests and investigations that were cancelled. 

If only Todd had been minister for health we wouldn't have been tricked by the evil scientists and their apparently motiveless hoax. 

I never said it was a motiveless hoax.

Its absolutely apparant now that there were clearly different approaches which could have been taken to either protect the economy, or to protect lives.

The UK tried to do the former before being delivered a model by a man known to wildly overestimate the impact of outbreaks, and switching to late to the latter for it to be effective.

In the end neither was achieved.

You might not agree with anything else I say, but I can't see how you can disagree with the overall sentiment.

My sister got transferred into dealing with universal credit claims without training and has had zero time off. No PPE or even hand sanitiser.

What sort of logic is this? Wouldnt you be better served demanding fair treatment for your sister than equally unfair treatment for others?
Do it fairly regularly. A wee 10 - 20 minutes every day

More fool you. Dont inflict your unwillingness to hold to the terms of your contract or your willingness to devalue your own time onto others.

Pay cuts for all is what you are advocating. Dont you think we are going to be asked to pay for all this as it is? Maybe best avoid cutting eachother throats with the distinctly Tory, "your lucky tae have a job" lie.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I never said it was a motiveless hoax.

Its absolutely apparant now that there were clearly different approaches which could have been taken to either protect the economy, or to protect lives.

The UK tried to do the former before being delivered a model by a man known to wildly overestimate the impact of outbreaks, and switching to late to the latter for it to be effective.

In the end neither was achieved.

You might not agree with anything else I say, but I can't see how you can disagree with the overall sentiment.

It's because i find it extremely hard to believe that the lockdown has been ineffective or unnecessary. 

There is probably a good case that early measures were insufficient and late, granted. But if there was never any danger, as you suggest, then why would the government have needed to do any more? 

53 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

:lol: Not a chance this is a serious post. 

Just now, oaksoft said:

And how is that different from any other person in any other career?

You’re a twāt aren’t you?  Most employees work as little as they can get away with, and who could blame them?